Re: [Precolumbian_Inscriptions] Accounting, Writing and Human Cognitive Evolution

  • Joan Butcher
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2005
      Well done,Brew.Much appreciated.
      Bob

      Brew <brewmeister999@...> wrote:

      Look what just today popped up on the Archaeologica
      website!

      This is a fairly lengthy abstract, but well worth the
      time.

      *******

      Abstract: Recent archaeological evidence supports the
      claim that the first system of writing and the first
      use of abstract numerical representation evolved from
      the clay token accounting system of ancient
      Mesopotamia. Writing and other abstract symbol systems
      have subsequently transformed human cognitive
      capacities within only few millennia, a time period
      too short for any substantial changes in our
      biologically-evolved brains. This paper uses Merlin
      Donald's theory of human cognitive and cultural
      evolution [in Origins of the Modern Mind; 1991] to
      identify the role played by ancient accounting in
      these evolutionary processes. Specifically, it is
      argued that this early accounting system paved the way
      for writing by instigating revolutionary cognitive
      structures for processing visual/ symbolic artifacts
      and establishing a primitive but very powerful form of
      external memory (external to the brain). The paper
      also explores the role that accounting systems
      continue to play in the provision of "cognitive
      scaffolding" with respect to our organizational and
      institutional environments, and provides a cursory
      overview of the pioneering developments of ancient
      Mesopotamien accounting in this regard.

      *******

      Full article at:

      http://www.rednova.com/news/display/?id=116691

      Brew

      http://my.yahoo.com

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/GP4qlB/TM

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2005

           group plz welcome our new member

        Donald N. Yates, Ph.D.
        Principal
        DNA Consulting
           he has done an interesting article on Rafinesque,
        and the red record, and the repeopling of america.
           its hoped he will share his work with us.

        Kind regards,
        Mike White
        http://all-ez.com/yahoo-groups.htm