Re: [Precolumbian_Inscriptions] Re: More bowl photos

  • Mobydoc
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 30, 2004
        Hy Mike ;
           Do you want me to post what photos  I have
          though to that address you gave or do you already
          have them ?

                               Moby
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 1, 2004

        pat

           i was only able to open the two, evans in kettle, and liberian inscription.  so try to upload the others.  place _ instead of spaces in file names.   click 'add file'

        thanks

      • vicaress@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 4, 2004
          Hi Chuck and all,

          I was initially thinking along similar lines to Mike, I was thinking of the bowls as giant mortars, ala mortars and pestles for grinding herbs.  There are herbs or roots that could be easier ground on a larger scale (with full body weight) and the eastern exposure would also fit with alchemical principles of sunrise harvests/rituals.

          However, I was at Matthesian Park, an adjunct of Starved Rock State park, here in northern Illinois this past Saturday.   There are a couple of features, similar to the spouted kettle and lid in the park.  While they look similar in size and in orientation to each other, at Matthesian, there is a pool up above the kettle that dumps into it.  This fills the kettle which slowly trickles through the spout onto a flat rock ledge (the lid?) then over the edge of a ridge.  From below the combination creates a beautiful delicate waterfall, and as the basin of the waterfall is surrounded by rock cliff dwellings, it makes for a powerful, sheltered sacred space.  While there are natural components of the environments, there are also a lot of man-made enhancements.  As you look at the kettles and lids from below --could a similar environ be attempted?
          Just an idea,
          Pam

        • Charles Mattox
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 5, 2004
            Very interesting observation Pam.
            The alignment and location of the bowl and lid, as to
            the higher elevation above them (by the way there is a
            pioneer, stone-lined artisian well 50 yards above the
            bowls on higher elevation) however the spout on the
            bowl is facing up the hill.
            I'm not certain but I believe the stone bowls and lids
            may have once rested higher up the hill and slid down
            in years past. There is an bundance of stone all over
            the hillside as if perhaps it is the ruins of a stone
            wall which has been knocked down.
            Archaeologist noted over 80 years ago on an afternoon
            trip to the bowls that there was native American
            midden nearby but made no other observations nor
            offered any opinions as to what use or purpose the
            bowls were engaged in nor at what time.
            There are stone mounds on the rtidge just above the
            bowls eastward from the artisian well.
            They are a local mystery.
            Charles

            http://messenger.yahoo.com