Re: [Precolumbian_Inscriptions] semitic writing on pokotia monuments

  • clyde winters
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2003
      Hi Mike
      I do not believe that the Pokotia artifact is written in the Semitic writing. But I have deciphered a Semitic script from the Palpa Mountains. You can find  my decipherment at the site below:
      http://www.nascodex.fsnet.co.uk/2.htm

      Clyde

      mike white wrote:

           later this month there will be a conference on the writing on the monolithic statues at pokotia, bolivia.  understandably, only a limited number can participate.  our own dr clyde winters will coordinate a question and answer session that involves his work on the transliteration of the scripts.   if his time allows, perhaps later he will give the group the highlights of the conference.   i include a link to our group files that show some of these images, and there are internet pages that go into more detail.  the second link is a book that may help you to understand this family of scripts. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Precolumbian_Inscriptions/files/Bolivia/Pokotia%20Monoliths/ http://www.bartleby.com/65/ha/HamitoSe.html    there is no doubt that this writing is ancient.  the crude manner that it was put on the monuments gives me cause to think it was not part of the work of the creators of these monoliths, but was added later.   bernardo's computer failed recently, causing him to lose touch with the group, but its hoped that he will recover soon.   i had some difficulty understanding the details of the conference, so am not sure if i will be personally involved.   i have asked other experts to have a look at the images of pokotia.  if they honor us with an opinion, i will keep the group posted. Regards,
      Mike White
      http://all-ez.com
      http://all-ez.com/yahoo-groups.htm

    • lady j
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 5, 2003

        Is there any other script consisting entirely of dots? There is a slab of stone with a script of dots on display in the Blount County Museum in Oneonta, Alabama. That was a local find.
           jamye

        http://www.sendmoreinfo.com/id/2668893

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2003

          I’ve seen other dot-like inscriptions at two sites: Hicklin Springs (Colorado) and Anubis Cave (OK). The Hicklin Spring dots are discussed in Archaeoastronomy of Southeast Colorado and the Oklahoma Panhandle by McGlone, Leonard and Barker on page 98, where groups of dots are shown. As both Gloria Farley and McGlone have written widely about Anubis Cave, the dots at Anubis Cave may be discussed by G. Farley or McGlone in their books or unpublished studies.

          CarL

          Carl Lehrburger

          303-587-9962

          Carl@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2003

            Yes,,,,i thought this was within my mind...and the script, that You speak of in referenece to Gloria Farley....does the name of that script begin with a "T". I do have her book  In Plain Sight...that is the book isn't it? What is the name of that script??? And i wonder if the two are actually related.
             Thanks! ! ! !

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 7, 2003

              I mention Gloria Farley because of her extensive work at Anubis Cave and the existence of these dots at Anubis. I can’t say if they are inscriptions, but given the context of their appearance in Cave 2 I strongly suspect they are inscriptions. With so many different types of rock art and inscriptions at Anubis, these dots do not seem to have been a major focus of study to date and maybe Farley doesn’t reference them. Accordingly, the “script” is unidentified.

              McGlone writes:

              “William Murray (1986) suggests that organized groups of dots carved in rocks are possible numerical representations. He says that their symbolic repetition, group symmetry, and complex ordering argue for this interpretation. Marschack (1992) interprets as noon counts groups of dots arranged in checkerboard-like patterns on 30,000 year old tools. Murray (1985) also shows how checkerboard groups of dots may be lunar counts……..:

              “We have many organized groups of dots in SW Colorado with somewhat similar arrangements….the figures (at Hicklin Springs) include one group containing 29 dots, corresponding to the days of a lunar month….”

              Page 96, Archaeoastronomy of Southeast Colorado and the Oklahoma Panhandle by McGlone, Leonard and Barker

              I hope this helps.

              CarL

              Carl Lehrburger

              303-587-9962