mound builders

  • nosweatsoap
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 14, 2003
      I was interested in your discussions concerning the 'mound
      builders'. I found this site accidentally and am glad I did. I
      became interested in ancient writing after viewing the Heavener
      Runestone and subsequently reading 'In Plain Sight' by Gloria Farley.
      I am working on a book about Mississippian pottery and have been
      amazed at the inter-continental-cultural-diffusion among the
      different clans of mound builders.
      The vast amount of artifactal material found in North America which
      justify a belief in Danish, Phoenician, Sumerian, Gaelic, and a
      compendium of other early visitors before Columbus makes it
      difficult to understand the unbelief of others in the face of what
      seems to be incontrovertible evidence.
      (Have I mastered the run-on sentence or what ?)
      Question: I know there are a lot of copper artifacts that have been
      found. Have there been copper smelting tools found ? Molds or
      smelters ? anybody heard about that?
      deb (nosweatsoap)
    • Charles Mattox
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 15, 2003
        Good luck on the book on pottery.
        I've always been fascinated with the similarities
        between Adena "sacred circles" and like structures
        found in England such as the earlier versions of
        Stonehenge.
        Adena style arrowheads seem to very similar shapes
        which are not similar to the earlier Archaic styles
        and are more styled after English and European type
        styles.
        The burial mounds of both cultures seems very similar
        to me as well.
        Charles

        http://search.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 15, 2003

          hi deb, all

             welcome to the group.  there is ample evidence of both copper and iron having been worked in ancient times.  the etowah had iron in their mounds.