More from Mattox to Mike White and all

  • Charles Mattox
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 6, 2003
      Between trying to figure out how to attach readable
      files and processing all this new info is about make
      my head explode.
      i guess I've somehow been unsubscribed to the
      precolombian group.
      We had a bad ice storm here and everything electrical
      is whacko now.
      Anyway I'm attaching new photo.
      One is a slate pendant with carvings on both sides.
      Found within 15 miles of the stone bowls.
      I think I'm living in the middle of what was once a
      great Magyar/Celtic/iberian culture.
      I noticed the bowls and inscriptions are similar in
      ways to Fell's Woodstock artifacts.
      More coming.
      lots more.
      Charles Mattox
      --- mike white <sparky@...> wrote:

      > hi charles, all
      >
      > i prefer we discuss this here. i have posted
      > this 4th image of the letter 'M' on the intact lid
      > on a bowl.
      > first of all this letter does not appear among
      > the paleo-hebrew script that i have, but is found
      > among kindred magyar based scripts. its odd that
      > the symbol appears by itself.
      > i sure would like to know what is within that
      > undisturbed bowl.
      > i havent read the works of webb and funkhouser,
      > but it would seem that this site was only
      > superficially examined. one was a geology
      > professor, and the other in zoology. it looks like
      > when things got tough during the depression, that
      > they ventured into archaeology to get some of the
      > new deal money to put some beans on the table.
      > their efforts are not the last word on the sites
      > they visited, but can be useful to modern
      > investigators in locating these rather obscure
      > sites.
      > it was a monumental task to construct these
      > stone bowls, and to move them up a mountain side.
      > its very puzzling. so much work for a cache doesnt
      > make sense. neither does it seem likely that they
      > put that much labor into the coffins, but buried
      > them with no monument to mark them. they were in no
      > hurry, so i still think there must be a settlement
      > nearby.
      > i hope that your efforts provoke the proper
      > response from qualified researchers, and they dont
      > delay making a field trip to the site. the sooner
      > the area is protected and properly excavated the
      > better. normally they are adamant that the site not
      > be disturbed, but in no hurry to investigate
      > themselves.
      > some worry about the poor lichen being deprived
      > of its home. it may be a rare species. or that its
      > removal may mar the patina on the groves of the
      > inscriptions, yet they have no solid method yet to
      > date from the thickness of patina.
      > i wonder if a notice in your local newspaper
      > might help you locate some of the smaller 'kettles'
      > that have been carried off? much of their value to
      > the academics has already been lost by their removal
      > from the site, yet maybe we can learn something from
      > them if they are inscribed.
      > is there a trail or route the ancients may have
      > used in the north-south direction between the
      > stacked stones that you mentioned earlier? a hike
      > in the spring might be interesting to see how far
      > the markings go, and if they lead to other sites of
      > interest.
      > are there any mounds or earthworks from the mound
      > builders in the area?
      >
      > county map of fleming county kentucky
      >
      > http://ukcc.uky.edu/%7Emaps/fleming.gif
      >
      > if you care to give a general idea of the
      > location of the site, do so, but dont be specific
      > enough for anyone to find the exact spot.

> [...]

      http://taxes.yahoo.com/
    • Paul Troemner
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 6, 2003
        Charles,
        Could you possibly avoid using underlines on the file
        names? I can't get the photos to come up on my viewer
        unless I rename them without the underlines...

        Thanks.

        Paul

        --- Charles Mattox <charlesmattox@...> wrote:
        > Between trying to figure out how to attach readable
        > files ...

        http://taxes.yahoo.com/
      • Paul Troemner
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 6, 2003
          I still can't get it to view, even without the
          underlines. Maybe Microsoft has something against
          Mac-generated JPEGs?

          Thanks.
          Paul

          --- Paul Troemner <troemner@...> wrote:
          > Charles,
          > Could you possibly avoid using underlines on the
          > file
          > names? I can't get the photos to come up on my
          > viewer
          > unless I rename them without the underlines...
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Paul
          >
          > --- Charles Mattox <charlesmattox@...> wrote:
          > > Between trying to figure out how to attach
          > readable
          > > files ...

          > http://taxes.yahoo.com/

          > you stay and help us improve. First consider
          > changing to daily digest, or no mail - web only,
          > visit main and edit membership :

          > if you must leave send an email to:

          > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          http://taxes.yahoo.com/
        • Charles Mattox
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 6, 2003
            Sorry Paul and all,
            The underlines just occur on the files, I didn't put
            them there.
            I'm a bit of a cyber idiot.
            Gee really!
            But anyway, I'm trying and I will eventually overcome.
            Find attachment of possible calendrical stone found
            very, very near where the inscribed pendant was found
            in Mayslick, Ky. which is within 15 miles of the stone
            bowls I previously spoke of.
            Any comments?
            I love this exchange of information.
            charles Mattox

            --- Paul Troemner <troemner@...> wrote:
            > Charles,
            > Could you possibly avoid using underlines on the
            > file
            > names? I can't get the photos to come up on my
            > viewer
            > unless I rename them without the underlines...
            >
            > Thanks.
            >
            > Paul
            >
            > --- Charles Mattox <charlesmattox@...> wrote:
            > > Between trying to figure out how to attach
            > readable
            > > files ...

            http://taxes.yahoo.com/
          • Charles Mattox
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 6, 2003
              Thanks again Mike,
              I really like the group and all who participate.
              I noticed some older cultures in Britain are big on
              oak trees and possible oak leafs as symbols.
              Other side of pendant is absolutely KILLER!
              Check it out.
              The pendant was found by my cousin and he is a
              straight up honest relic hunter.
              My friends don't know if it's a map or a script or
              both.
              It sure isn't random etchings.
              See for yourself.
              The other attachment is of a (calendrical stone?) from
              very near where the pendant was found.
              I feel like they could have the same cultural
              affiliations.
              They just don't fit into any classic Native American
              type artifacts from this area.
              Although there are Naive American village sites in the
              nearby vicinity.
              I wonder if the Magyar?Celtic?Iberian
              colony-settlers-lost souls, were all together or their
              influences were stapled onto the culture in different
              centuries?
              Fell's work intrigues me greatly.
              I never knew it was such a small world.
              I feel I owe everyone a great debt of gratitude for
              sharing with me and especially to you Mike for
              assisting me with my cyberly challenged attachments.
              I look forward to an opportunity to assist each and
              all in any way I can in the future.
              Spring is almost here.
              What a wonderful time to wander in the woods in
              Kentucky for more discoveries.
              Charles Mattox
              --- mike white <sparky@...> wrote:

              > you are in the group, i will make sure of that.
              > your pc is a mac, right? no problem, my email wont
              > open them, but i can grab them from group main, then
              > fix them. i uploaded your last image to group
              > files. like to see the other side. this side has a
              > tree and serpent i think, not ogham, but there may
              > be small letters near the edges.
              > it does appear that an ancient settlement was in
              > your area. maybe they came there thru the
              > cumberland gap, or along the licking river from
              > ohio. too soon to say for sure the specific
              > language, but with more samples we can pin it down,
              > then work on translation, or transliteration. im
              > sure all are excited by your contributions.
              >
              > many thanx
              > mike
              > host

              http://taxes.yahoo.com/
            • Charles Mattox
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 6, 2003
                Sorry about the misinfo.
                Mayslick is just north of Fleming County in Mason
                County Kentucky.
                An interesting note and very possible connection to
                all this is the Warriors Trail which runs through
                Mason and Fleming County.
                The Warriors Trail was an ancient footpath used for
                centuries as a trade route by many native American
                cultures.
                The route seems to connect fresh water springs and
                villages in a north-south direction.
                I found a copy of the trail in the local courthouse
                archives on a map drawn by the county surveyor in
                1823.
                His name was Joseph Morrison and he made the map due
                to the overlapping land claim disputes that centered
                around the warriors trail and the buffalo trails which
                connect it and were used by early pioneers who first
                came to this part of Ky.
                Shawnee, Deleware and Cherokke used this trail and
                left markings on trees on trail and told Daniel Boone
                and others in the area about ancients who also used
                the trail.
                I'm sure any Magyar/Celtic/Iberian cultures that
                inhabited the area would have exploited the trade
                route or atleast the footpaths for movement.
                The warriors trail-or Atlatowaimee(spelling?) had many
                off shoot trails.
                The main trail went through Mayslick, an offshoot
                trail ran to area of the stone bowls near Hillsbor.
                There has to be a connection.
                There has to be.
                Blue licks spring which is just slightly west of
                Fleming County and slightly suthwest of Mayslick in
                Robertson County has been the site of much interesting
                archaeological findings. It's also on the warriors
                trail.
                Anyway I know a friend who is a direct descendant of
                W.H. Hunter who excavated at the Blue Licks spring in
                the early 1900s when the spring went dry.
                In the excavation he was attempting to relocate the
                source of the spring but only uncovered Mammoth bones,
                but more significantly he allegedly found stones laid
                in a pavement type setting with markings carved upon
                them.
                I have a copy of these etchings from Mr. Hunters
                daughter who remembered the stones vividly and made a
                copy of the etchings when she was very small.
                Hunter kept the stones but family members believed
                they were haunted due to the markings and deliberatly
                destroyed them.
                Fascinating stuff.
                I will try to find copy of etchings-looks like same
                stuff as found on stone bowls and forward them ASAP.
                Charles Mattox
                --- mike white <sparky@...> wrote:

                > well ive scanned the big map until my eyes fogged
                > up. i see lots of covered bridges that sound great
                > to see, a nuclear waste dump, and happy holler - but
                > cant find mayslick. what part of fleming county,
                > west or east? north or south?

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • Charles Mattox
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 6, 2003
                  Mike,
                  Any specific ideas or possible translations on the
                  pendant translation?
                  Any similarities with other maps?
                  Charles Mattox
                  --- mike white <sparky@...> wrote:

                  > if we assume that the same group are responsible
                  > for both relics, then from the samples so far given
                  > we are down to three possible scripts : magyar,
                  > northern iberian, or etruscan. at least from the
                  > alphabets that i have access to among our files and
                  > links. etruscan is least likely i would think. or
                  > it would be the first ive heard of in the americas.
                  > fell would probably select northern iberian.
                  > the opposite side of the pendant looks like a
                  > map. i have no idea about the 'calendar' stone.
                  > so far we have letters similar to our K, M, I, V, O,
                  > Delta, and O with a dot within.
                  >
                  > imho
                  > mike
                  >

                  > ---
                  > Checked by AVG anti-virus system
                  > (http://www.grisoft.com).
                  > Date: 2/25/03

                  http://taxes.yahoo.com/
                • Paul Troemner
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 6, 2003
                    Not so fast.

                    I still haven't seen all the characters. My guess
                    would be they are one or more of the many forms of
                    Cherokee out there that predate Sequoyah by centuries.
                    These characters listed do occur in Cherokee. Or the
                    Hopewell, rumored to also have writing. Both of these
                    would be more likely than Magyar, etc., although they
                    could be distantly related.

                    Paul

                    http://taxes.yahoo.com/

                      --- mike white <sparky@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      >    i wonder if a notice in your local newspaper
                      > might help you locate some of the smaller 'kettles'
                      > that have been carried off?  much of their value to
                      > the academics has already been lost by their removal
                      > from the site, yet maybe we can learn something from
                      > them if they are inscribed.
                      >    is there a trail or route the ancients may have
                      > used in the north-south direction between the
                      > stacked stones that you mentioned earlier?  a hike
                      > in the spring might be interesting to see how far
                      > the markings go, and if they lead to other sites of
                      > interest.
                      >    are there any mounds or earthworks from the mound
                      > builders in the area?
                      >
                      > county map of fleming county kentucky
                      >
                      > http://ukcc.uky.edu/%7Emaps/fleming.gif
                      >
                      >     if you care to give a general idea of the
                      > location of the site, do so, but dont be specific
                      > enough for anyone to find the exact spot.

                      ---
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 7, 2003

                        Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 10:04 AM

                        Sorry Paul and all,
                        The underlines just occur on the files, I didn't put
                        them there.
                        I'm a bit of a cyber idiot.
                        Gee really!
                        But anyway, I'm trying and I will eventually overcome.
                        Find attachment of possible calendrical stone found
                        very, very near where the inscribed pendant was found
                        in Mayslick, Ky. which is within 15 miles of the stone
                        bowls I previously spoke of.
                        Any comments?
                        I love this exchange of information.
                        charles Mattox

                        --- Paul Troemner <troemner@...> wrote:
                        > Charles,
                        > Could you possibly avoid using underlines on the
                        > file
                        > names?  I can't get the photos to come up on my
                        > viewer
                        > unless I rename them without the underlines...
                        >
                        > Thanks.
                        >
                        > Paul
                        >
                        > --- Charles Mattox <charlesmattox@...> wrote:
                        > > Between trying to figure out how to attach
                        > readable
                        > > files ...

                        ---

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 7, 2003

                               good idea kevin, if charles approves.  we need a recognized archaeologist involved to pursue this more than just looking and probing.

                               some interesting links to trails, etc.

                                ive no idea yet on translation.  this will probably need more capable individuals help, like our member clyde winters.

                            Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 11:20 AM

                            --- mike white <sparky@...> wrote:

                            >    well ive scanned the big map until my eyes fogged
                            > up.  i see lots of covered bridges that sound great
                            > to see, a nuclear waste dump, and happy holler - but
                            > cant find mayslick.    what part of fleming county,
                            > west or east?   north or south?
                            >
                            > mike

                            ---
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 7, 2003

                                 we hear ya paul.  im only 12,000 miles away, but whats a little trip to stop me.  it sounds as though this area is fairly close to the ohio mound builders.  one link i read, and sent i think, mentions a sacred road going up to the ohio on one side, and extending into kentucky on the other.  it apparently was built before the ohio river changed course!   i havent ruled out a connection there, but dont consider the mound builders as native americans.   unless we include atlanteans and inka into that group.  any ancient arrivals to that area would have contacted that thriving community, that apparently lasted many thousands of years.  unfortunately i have not yet seen a script connected with them.   but by their high culture i expect that they had one.  i still think that its a date on the rim of the bowl.  the rim was grooved on one side that i propose facilitated prying off the heavy lid, another reason to consider they may have been used as a cache.   the pendant is in the shape of a white oak tree unless im mistaken.  maybe a clue to the map.  maybe find a grove of them and look for rivers that match the topography etched into the pendant.  it may be a map to the cache bowls.   later drilled as a pendant by a native.   might have to extend our canoe expedition down the licking river.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 7, 2003

                                   normally egyptian is the easiest script to recognize, because of the distinctive hieroglyphs that they used for much of their history.  these relics bear none of them.  the symbology interpretation is an individual matter.  i don't say that you are wrong, i just am looking at other possibilities.
                                   unknown to many scholars is the fact that the magyar and the scythians made inroads into egypt and mesopotamia at a very early date.  so there is a connection between your thoughts and mine.  the magyar language may be the key to the proper reading of egyptian and sumerian scripts, particularly helpful for adding the nouns and vowels.   this link is one of several that ive read that suggested this very thing.

                                    these objects may be unrelated.   with the cumberland gap and the river systems to the area, and the many trails through the area, it was like a crossroads for any ancient travelers.

                                Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 6:53 AM

                                Also, this probably is not a pendant.  The “hole” is the eye of the fish.  Also, the carvings would not be oriented the right way if the stone were hung on a necklace.

                                Regards, Kevin

                                ---