Re: CAVE LOOTER ALLEGEDLY SOLICITS MURDER

  • hesiodau <Vadar@nobbys.net.au>
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2003
      This sad item provoked me to re-emerge briefly from lurk-mode to
      wonder aloud, "whatever happened to the evil old term 'agent
      provocateur'?"

      vadar
    • michael <sparky@all-ez.com>
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 4, 2003
        i will take the side of the devil's advocate here. many of these
        alleged actions are inexcusable, and i wont attempt to defend them.
        i do ask that we consider the big picture in this regard. pro
        archaeologists insist that the entire realm be left to them, and
        exclude amatures. yet when this same litmus paper test is applied to
        the greatest among their own number, they are as guilty as those they
        wish to prosecute. look at carter, and the german digger at troy. i
        respect both of their contributions, but we must admit they stole
        from the digs for their own personal collections.
        amatures have been responsible for many great discoveries, so we
        must not allow laws that totally prevent them from pursuing their
        interest in this science. our most illustrious archaeologists dont
        spend enough time in the field. the hard work is apparently not to
        their liking. they assume posts at universities, mostly as
        professors or curators. the lower steps of their associates are on
        the lecture circuit, or prosecuting violators. making the occasional
        drive out to a highway road-cut when a grave or other find is turned
        up by machinery. most of the greatest archaeologists began as
        unaccepted amatures, or mavericks, but by their energy and ingenuity
        finally became highly respected, after far bypassing their
        superiors. even the lowly grave robber has his place. he expends
        much energy, and earns a few bucks on his finds, but often he
        indirectly spurs these others to get off their duffs and seek out the
        trail he pioneered. admittedly, often times he destroys some
        information that may have been gleaned in a few centuries by the
        experts, when they got around to it. this crime has been going on
        from the earliest age of man. laws wont make it stop. the pros
        would further science more by publishing and making readily available
        to the masses such information that could be used as a guide by these
        fellows. the dos and donts, that might minimize the impact these
        folks are doing to the scientific record. take the bounty off their
        head and encourage them to come forward with their finds. the worse
        crimes are done by these folks to protect themselves. their hiding
        the artifacts in their backyards, or melting them down for the
        precious metals. why not encourage them to bring in their finds to
        the experts with immunity? buy the objects, scold and teach the
        culprits.

        just some thoughts
        sparky

        --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "AwenDawn"
        <AwenDawn@a...> wrote:
        > ONLINE FEATURES January 27, 2003
        >
        > CAVE LOOTER ALLEGEDLY SOLICITS MURDER
        >
        > When a SWAT team came through the door of convicted grave robber
        Jack Lee Harelson's rural Oregon home this January, it was only the
        latest twist in one of the nation's grisliest cases of archaeological
        looting.
        > BY ERIC A. POWELL

        ------------

        > In this undated photo introduced as evidence in his 1996
        criminal trial, Jack Lee Harelson screens for artifacts outside of
        Elephant Mountain Cave. Unconfirmed news reports suggest it was taken
        by Harelson's ex-wife, who turned the negative over to authorities.
        (Courtesy BLM) [LARGER IMAGE]

      • Moby Doc
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 4, 2003
              Hi Sparky;
                 I have to agree with you... (as a member of the great unwashed)...
              think also of the 'culteral' leanings of some people who try to say that
             they were the aborigonals of that erea...do they want the answers...or
            are they trying to hide them ...as a lay person (horizontal thinker) :)
            I know of many cases where the 'gospel' according to some lettered
            person is set in concrete ...which takes years to break down and the facts
            to be really known ...to put it another way ...have we got time to dither
            about ...to have a post-mortem...on every idea that some academic
             might and do toss into a discussion...not all dozer people are machine
            brains (automatons)...some can butter a slice of bread with a
            Cat-D8 blade...so why the horror when a machine moves onto a site ...
             to see a good operator in action is a pleasure to behold and some even
            play  that game some call Chess ...with a dexterity above the average pen
            pusher...but getting back to the job in hand ...are we not all searching for
            the truth ...in what ever colour it may turn out to be :)

                     Peace [or little pieces]     Pat / Moby