dog and bog iron

  • michael <sparky@all-ez.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 12, 2003
      bartram

      mans' best friend, and what i suspect might be fragments of
      meteorites near capola florida. maybe the great one that struck the
      yucatan?

      " One occurrance, remarkable here, was a troop of horse under the
      controul and care of a single black dog, which seemed to differ in no
      respect from the wolf of Florida, except his being able to bark as
      the common dog. He was very careful and industrious in keeping them
      together,

      ----------
      Page 223
      and if any one strolled from the rest at too great a distance, the
      dog would spring up, head the horse and bring him back to the
      company. The proprietor of these horses is an Indian in Talahasochte,
      about ten miles distance from this place, who, out of humour and
      experiment, trained his dog up from a puppy to this business; he
      follows his master's horses only, keeping them in a separate company
      where they range, and when he is hungry or wants to see his master,
      in the evening he returns to town, but never stays at home a night.

      THE region we had journied through, since we decamped this
      morning, is of a far better soil and quality than we had yet seen
      since we left Alachua; generally a dark greyish, and sometimes brown
      and black loam, on a foundation of whitish marl, chalk and testaceous
      limestone rocks, and ridges of a loose, coarse, reddish sand,
      producing stately Pines in the plains, and Live Oak, Mulberry,
      Magnolia, Palm, Zanthoxilon, &c. in the hommocks, and also in great
      plenty the pirennial Indigo; it grows here five, six and seven feet
      high, and as thick together as if it had been planted and cultivated.
      The higher ridges of hills afford great quantities of a species of
      iron ore, of that kind found in New-Jersey and Pennsylvania, and
      there called bog ore; it appears on the surface of the ground in
      large detached masses and smaller fragments; it is ponderous and
      seemed rich of that most useful metal; but one property remarkable in
      these terrigenous stones is, they appeared to be blistered, somewhat
      resembling cinders, or as if they had suffered a violent action of
      fire.

      LEAVING the charming savanna and fields of Capola, we passed
      several miles through delightful plains

      Page 224
      and meadows, little differing from the environs of Capola,
      diversified with rocky islets or hommocks of dark woodland."

      yes pat, his vivid imagery takes you there, and the nobility of
      the planters and natives is mindful of classical greece.

      mike

      --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "Moby Doc"