Copper hulled ship?

  • Pamela Giese
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2001
      Does anyone know anything about a copper-hulled ship being found in
      the Gulf of Mexico?

      I was reading the news links on the archeology site :
      http://www.maat.paradoxdesigns.com
      and found an interesting link from Oct 6 saying:"Deep Sea Mystery--
      Copper hulled ship found in Gulf of Mexico". The link went to the
      Houston Chronicle site which no longer has the article available
      online for free. (One can sign up as a one-day subscriber to search
      their archives for $4.95, but I'm feeling frugal).

      I haven't found this article on any other sites. Does any one know
      anything? How old is the ship suppose to be?
    • Jim Sekel
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2001
        Hi Pamela,
        The ship appears to be about 150 to 220 years old and was made of
        American white pine, typically found on the Atlantic coast north of
        Virginia.
        http://www.gomr.mms.gov/homepg/whatsnew/newsreal/011003.html

        Best Wishes
        Jim Sekel

        --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@y..., "Pamela Giese" <pgiese@p...>
        wrote:
        > Does anyone know anything about a copper-hulled ship being found in
        > the Gulf of Mexico?
        >
        > I was reading the news links on the archeology site :
        > http://www.maat.paradoxdesigns.com
        > and found an interesting link from Oct 6 saying:"Deep Sea Mystery--
        > Copper hulled ship found in Gulf of Mexico". The link went to the
        > Houston Chronicle site which no longer has the article available
        > online for free. (One can sign up as a one-day subscriber to search
        > their archives for $4.95, but I'm feeling frugal).
        >
        > I haven't found this article on any other sites. Does any one know
        > anything? How old is the ship suppose to be?
      • Pam Giese
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2001

          Thanks, Jim!

          Group Site : http://www.epigraphy.f2s.com