The Times

  • John Rogers
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 19, 2001

      Anyone care to comment....

      http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,3-2001285513,00.html

      John Rogers

    • Paul Troemner
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 19, 2001
        John,

        I seem to remember a discussion thread on the Aztlan
        list about museum displays, and that many museums are
        hesitant to display the original artwork for fear of
        theft. I heard that some museums deliberately display
        copies for this reason, and keep the originals in
        vaults or secret storage. But this may be in rare
        instances. This article doesn't sound like the Peru
        collection had this reasoning behind it.

        I also remember a friend who visited Africa. While
        there a street vendor had some exquisite art
        statuettes (modern) on display for sale. After
        purchasing, the vendor wrapped it up for travelling
        and in the process performed an unseen switcheroo
        replacing it with a cheap imitation. The friend did
        not realize this until returning home and unpacking.

        Then there is the possibility of collector, curator,
        or employee embezzlement.

        Perhaps there are other possibilities.

        Paul Troemner

        --- John Rogers <jor45@...> wrote:
        > Anyone care to comment....

        http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/0,,3-2001285513,00.html

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
      • John Rogers
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 20, 2001
          Yes, I agree. All the things you mention are more than possible, but my interest was caught by thought that the Spanish melted down most of the treasure they stole to ease transport requirements. My curiosity was aroused as to the source of these copy ideas? Did they discover a horde of hidden artwork or did they just make it up from the various stone motifs still extant? Unless they discern the accuracy of the copies I am convinced that the subsequent speculations based on them may have led many astray. The possibility of error must be enormously painful to those who have written papers based on this fraud.   John R.

        • AwenDawn@ap.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 20, 2001
            ---Hello John, some of the artifacts were were "Obvious fakes" and
            some very good reproductions. My question is are the gold artifacts
            gold and if so what % of gold are they? Someone with the money and the
            art ability would have had to study peruvian art for a while to
            create something with out using and actual artifact, Also the article
            does not say when the bulk of the collections were obtained. This may
            endup being one of the greatest art mysteries in
            history.Awen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@y...,
            "John Rogers" <jor45@h...>
            wrote:
            > Yes, I agree. All the things you mention are more than possible, but
            my interest was caught by thought that the Spanish melted down most of
            the treasure they stole to ease transport requirements. My curiosity
            was aroused as to the source of these copy ideas? Did they discover a
            horde of hidden artwork or did they just make it up from the various
            stone motifs still extant? Unless they discern the accuracy of the
            copies I am convinced that the subsequent speculations based on them
            may have led many astray. The possibility of error must be enormously
            painful to those who have written papers based on this fraud. John
            R.

            digest, or no mail - web only, visit main and edit membership :
            > if you must leave send an email to:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/Get more from the Web. FREE MSN
            Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com
          • John Rogers