horses

    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2013

         the horse was native to north america.  the fossil record shows all of the stages of its development here.  something happened near the last glacial period, that made them disappear from our plains.
         when the horse was reintroduced to america by the spaniards in the 16th century, many escaped into the wilds.  these thrived and multiplied, until there were vast numbers.  thus, we know that the habitat was good for horses, and must look to another cause for their demise.
         man has always been smart enough to see the advantages of having horses around.  he would have captured and domesticated them for riding stock from the beginning.  hunting pressure can be ruled out as the cause.
         wolves and sabre tooth tigers may have taken a few, but i dont think they could have made them extinct on our continent.  they lack the stamina to run them down.
         it seems more reasonable to expect that both men and horses were killed off by the same event.  both could have migrated south to be free of the glaciers.
         the kill-off event hit hardest those creatures who lived on the grasslands of the plains.  this brings us to the likelihood that the large waves of tsunamis may have been the cause.  i cant think of another event that could have caused it.  massive undersea quakes and cosmic impacts have often resulted in huge tsunamis.  we know that these rocks from space from distant collisions can be numerous fragments.  evidence of several huge tsunamis in the not too distant past have been discovered along the coast of our northwest.  craters on land and sea disappear fairly fast.  our lads have no way to accurately date these events, but this doesnt stop them from guessing, and misleading us.  the az crater could be far younger than thought.  there may have been major impacts in the yucatan, gulf, and caribbean sea.  our southeast retains the craters and scars of hundreds of impacts.  the lands of the southwest and southeast still are covered by red clay.  in the latter, the clay is found high up the flanks of the mountains.
         the west has every sign of massive waves racing north, sweeping away everything before them, soil, rocks, trees, and creatures.  these were deposited in broken masses in the north of alaska and siberia.  we should expect to find the remains of horses and men in those buried heaps.  the western event swept clean everything west of the appalachian mountains, and was by far the most terrible disaster to strike america in modern geological time.  the land has still not fully recovered from it.  it was so recent that the red clay has not yet been carried to the seafloor, and no significant amount of space debris has accumulated on the surface.  the red clay of the southeast is hundreds of feet thick in some locales.  this clay may have preserved the remains of men and creatures well enough, for a relatively accurate carbon 14 dating to be made.