ecuador

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2013

      other:  below is a link to a free ebook by saville 1906, describing digs at manabi ecuador.  this ancient culture occupied the coast, south of esmeraldas, and north of the chimu.
          the most interesting feature in that region was the great number of stone corals.  within these were often found stone chairs, sometimes in a circle around a stone table.  maybe the corals were the walls of homes.
         the culture was advanced, but not as far as its neighbors.  they had pottery, textiles, as shown by many spindle whorls, and some metalurgy.
         the advanced state of decay of the bones, suggests to me a date earlier than 1000 bce.  as usual, our lads applied a more recent date.
         the stone chairs were carried to the colonial cities by early governors, leaving only broken ones insitu.
         well structures were found, but unlikely used for burials, as suggested by de leon.  more likely used for food storage.  mounds were used for burials.
         another ebook is available, that discusses the ornamentation of teeth by gold inlays, by this culture.

      The antiquities of Manabi, Ecuador: final report
       By Marshall Howard Saville