Chachapoya symbol

  • Catherine
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 8, 2012
      Does anyone now know where people can see that symbol from the Chachapoya tomb in Peru that is supposed to also be a symbol found in Tel Qasite in the Middle East?

      Catherine
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 8, 2012

          it may be in the material online of the late gene savoy.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 9, 2012
          Hello, Catherine,
          The Peruvian symbol, as I recall is in Gene Savoy's "Antisuyo" which covers the early Chachapoya explorations. It is one of the two Savoy books I own, but I have not dug it out for a few years. The one from Tel Qasite was in a later book, "On the Trail of the Feathered Serpent", IIRC. Both were featured on his website but I have not visited it since his death a few years back and do not have a bookmark for it if it still is up on the net. One of our members met Gene Savoy in Peru many years back and if she is still with this group, she could tell you much more. A web search of the archived messages here would probably yield more information.

          When I first saw the two symbols, several years ago, I considered them them among the most compelling evidence for Precolumbian Old World presence. However, there are a number of symbols found throughout the American Southwest, Northern Mexico and South America which are practically identical. Likewise, some of these same symbols are found in Magdalenian Europe and elsewhere. I have come to my present conclusion that the ones in the New World are representive of an indigenous prehistoric pre-alphabetic symbol system rather than an import (or at least a Bronze Age Old World import).

          Though I respect the late explorer, Gene Savoy, due to the tremendous influence he had in shaping my views of prehistory, in these latter years I have come to differ in some of his interpretations. The Tel Qasite symbol, Savoy interpreted as a cargo mark use by Phoenicians in the employ of King Solomon. Since I do not think Solomon was an historical person, this weakens the case for the Peruvian symbol being related to the one in Tel Qasite, despite strong visual similarity. The Chachapoya symbol, however, has fairly strong context and was near a number of cliff burials of the Chachapoyas. Considering that the best Phoenician evidence is on the Atlantic side of South America and Mesoamerica and that Peru is on the Pacific side this further weakens the Phoenician connection. Moreover, the Peruvian location is remote and virtually inaccessible from the Atlantic. Add the fact that the megalithic cultures of Caral, the Supe Valley and Chico Norte predate the Great Pyramid of Egypt (in conventional dating) by hundreds of years, it seems more likely that Chachapoya architecture and symbolism derive from a confluence of Pacific Maritime Archaic and an as yet unclassified agriculturally advanced culture in the Amazon basin. Savoy, to his credit, knew of the Amazon culture due to his extensive research into early 16th century Spanish explorer reports. This was some forty or fifty years prior to timid admissions from the mainstream community that such a culture actually existed.

          I would urge you to read Savoy's original books, compare them to more contemporary discoveries and draw your own conclusions based upon what seems most reasonable to you.

          Yours truly,
          David Campbell