I need a pointer to the best group to identify an old carving, Please

  • Donna
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2011
      Hi, clever inscription afficionados,

      My Grandfather-in-law the artist brought a carved stone head home from South America in the 1930s. My husband, his grandson passed away and I have inherited this stone head. According to family lore, it was chiseled off of a temple, and the GFiL, a well-educated and intelligent man, considered it valuable enough that he would not check it on the flights north, but carried it in his lap for days on the way home.

      There is some chance that it is just something made for tourists 90 years ago, but in my opinion, it might be the genuine article.

      I am not interested in how much it might be worth, but intend, if possible, to return it to its place of origin, where it truly belongs.

      On which group or board or website online should I post a picture of this head to have the best chance of identifying it, and getting it started back to wherever it should be?

      Thanks in advance for any advice.

      Sincerely, Donna H. Reeves
    • aumsparky@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2011

        hi donna, all

           welcome to the group.  i can't promise that we can help identify the provenance of the stone head, but do post images of it, and we will try.  its always interesting to study antiquities.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2011
          hy I AM ADOLFO GANDIN OCAMPO OF ARGENTINA, EXCUSME MY INGLISH.

          SEND PHOTO TO MY MAIL AND PROMISEADOLFOGANDINOCAMPO@... EMPLOYMENT AND ASK AT THE MUSEUM NATIONAL IDENTIFICATION
          GREETINGS
          ADOLFO