ky

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 19, 2011

      Subject: ky

      Image 34 of 40, Ancient history, or, Annals of Kentucky : with a s

         this is from rafinesque's annals of kentucky.  this author is worth reading, some of his conclusions differ from mine, and perhaps others too, for much of his work remains unpublished in mss.  others borrowed heavily from it.  it was negligent of the smithsonian to omit publishing more of his work, particularly on the antiquities and ancient monuments.   then it wouldnt be such a surprise that mummies in caves, and metal work with writing, was found in kentucky.
         i think the known two phases of moundbuilders only covers a fraction of the advanced cultures that lived in the ohio valley.  the stone hill forts may predate the moundbuilders, just as the truncated pyramids further south.
         the mammoth cave of ky is visual evidence of the long ages that ky has spent above sealevel.  relics from untold ages might be found there.
         author surprised me by how many tribes were offshoot of the lenapes, then disappointed by allowing a short history for the tribe.  there is a stone that depicts a lenape hunting mammoth, perhaps an atlatl weight.
         anyways, i share this info

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 19, 2011
        Image 35 of 40, Ancient history, or, Annals of Kentucky : with a s

        fyi

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 19, 2011
          Image 36 of 40, Ancient history, or, Annals of Kentucky : with a s

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 19, 2011
            Image 37 of 40, Ancient history, or, Annals of Kentucky : with a s

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 19, 2011
              Image 38 of 40, Ancient history, or, Annals of Kentucky : with a s

              mike

            • dcampbell75479
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 19, 2011
                Fascinating reading, Mike, especially considering the 1824 publication date. You are correct in stating that many borrowed from Rafinesque; I'm thinking in particular of an oral traditional history of the Natchez that I read (and misplaced) some years ago. Thanks for the link, I'm up to page 21 of 40 so far.

                Yours truly,
                David Campbell

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 19, 2011

                     it would be interesting to try to find some of these sites mentioned by author.  imagine the difficulty he had in sparsely populated ky on horseback.
                     note that he told of ancient towns with houses.  he, atwater, and whittlesey, were pioneer antiquarians.
                     looking up sahara rock art, i saw another depiction of a possibly brontosaurus on wikipedia, but not as certain as the other.

                  Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:20 AM
                  Subject: [Precolumbian_Inscriptions] Re: ky

                  Fascinating reading, Mike, especially considering the 1824 publication date. You are correct in stating that many borrowed from Rafinesque; I'm thinking in particular of an oral traditional history of the Natchez that I read (and misplaced) some years ago. Thanks for the link, I'm up to page 21 of 40 so far.

                  Yours truly,
                  David Campbell

                  --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "mike white" <aumsparky@...> wrote:

                  > Subject: ky
                  >

                  > this is from rafinesque's annals of kentucky. this author is worth reading, some of his conclusions differ from mine, and perhaps others too, for much of his work remains unpublished in mss. others borrowed heavily from it. it was negligent of the smithsonian to omit publishing more of his work, particularly on the antiquities and ancient monuments. then it wouldnt be such a surprise that mummies in caves, and metal work with writing, was found in kentucky.
                  > i think the known two phases of moundbuilders only covers a fraction of the advanced cultures that lived in the ohio valley. the stone hill forts may predate the moundbuilders, just as the truncated pyramids further south.
                  > the mammoth cave of ky is visual evidence of the long ages that ky has spent above sealevel. relics from untold ages might be found there.
                  > author surprised me by how many tribes were offshoot of the lenapes, then disappointed by allowing a short history for the tribe. there is a stone that depicts a lenape hunting mammoth, perhaps an atlatl weight.
                  > anyways, i share this info
                  >
                  > http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/ampage?collId=icufaw&fileName=bbf0054/icufawbbf0054.db&recNum=0&itemLink=D?fawbib:1:./temp/~ammem_xPlA::
                  >
                  > mike

                • dcampbell75479
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 20, 2011
                    Yes, and that is what I began looking for when I saw Rafinesque's end notes on a six foot teocalli on the Trinity and an oval structure at the headwaters of the Sabine. It seems obvious he is referring to the Upper Trinity. In 1824 this area had only been visited by hunters such as Sam Varner and Carter Clifft and the Glass Expedition to steal the Red River Iron (a 600 pound nickel iron meteorite which was one of six known meteorite shrines in Texas). When the Freeman-Custis Red River Expedition touched the periphery of this area in 1806, all the major temple mounds had been abandoned and the local Caddoans said that it had been a very long time before they moved en masse to the Ouachita River in Louisiana. While there is a very important mound site, the Nasoni Site, in Northeast Texas, I do not believe Rafinesque was referring to it as it was only recognized for what it was in the 20th century. On the other hand I recently ran across R.K. Harris' (best know for the Lake Lewisville discovery) discription of a fired brick structure one eighth of a mile from the channel of the East Fork of the Trinity which contained precolumbian artifacts. The oldest residents told him it had been there when their families had arrived in the 1850's. There was no brick industry there until several decades later. Too bad the site is now beneath the waters of Lake Ray Hubbard along with an Archaic burial site and who knows what else? A petrified forest for one thing, of which I luckily have a large specimen. I still wonder who told Rafinesque about the Texas sites because with the exception of rogue mustangers like Philip Nolan and hunters like Sam Varner there were very few Anglo or Native who ventured into North Texas in 1824; it was largely deserted of human habitation and nobody knows exactly why.