southwest_script

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009

         pic of script recently found in portugal.  some characters look familiar.  they guess circa 2600 bce.  tartessus nearby.  they say copper, but ancient silver mines were near there.

      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009

           bit more info ...
        i havent had a chance to search known scripts for similarity.  chances are that a leading power of the mediterranean region controlled these mines, and left the script.  it may not be of iberian origin.  the mines were well known in king solomon's time.

        Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 6:59 PM
        Subject: [Precolumbian_Inscriptions] southwest_script

           pic of script recently found in portugal.  some characters look familiar.  they guess circa 2600 bce.  tartessus nearby.  they say copper, but ancient silver mines were near there.

        mike

      • Luis Andrade
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9, 2009
          Hi Mike,

          Thanks for the link. That picture immediately reminded me of runic
          script and of the Mojebro Runic Stone. I have a PDF file of an article
          originally published in 1900, that I downloaded from JStor, as follow:

          The Mo̵jebro Runic Stone: And the Runic Ligature for ng
          Author(s): George Hempl
          Source: PMLA, Vol. 15, No. 2 (1900), pp. 216-220
          Published by: Modern Language Association
          Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/456614

          I also uploaded a picture of a drawing made from the stone. It is in
          the Misc folder waiting your approval. I'll quote a few paragraphs:

          quote

          VIII.-THE MOJEBRO RUNIC STONE
          AND THE RUNIC LIGATURE FOR NG.

          At Hageby, two Swedish miles from Upsala, there is preserved
          a runic stone 'originally standing at M0jebro in
          Hageby Socken and Hagunda Hserad.' It 'is of the hardest
          red quartz and feldspar, 8? Swedish feet high and 5 Swedish
          feet at broadest.' Cut into one side is the figure of a man
          mounted on a horse, with rein and saddle cloth. He has on
          a sort of corselet and is brandishing a sword in his right
          hand-not the left, as sometimes stated. The face is turned
          slightly away from the observer, who sees the left side and
          the back of the horseman. On the inside of the arm, just
          above the elbow, is a peculiar round protuberance. Above
          the figure is the inscription, running from edge to edge of the
          stone. All the letters but the lowest one at the right are
          distinct, and all are normal with the exception of the dotted
          cross.

          unquote

          Best,

          Luis

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009

            Hi luis, all

               sorry for the delay, was busy recently.  the photo was approved.  i just did some fast research on the southwest script.  i agree it seems to be a runic variant.  i need to spend more time looking at the materials that you brought forth.
               as ive said before, i believe that runic writing began with the ancient magyar, first cut into sticks.  modern academics think the magyar suddenly appeared circa 800 ce, but their history dates back thousands of years.  after they invaded sweden, their runes were adopted by norsemen, and later they were thought a viking creation.  upsala was a neutral meeting ground for magyar and norsemen.
               iberia was invaded more than once by magyar, scythian, and later by the kindred goths.  the goths used a variant magyar runic script.  if the dating is accurate for the tablets, it would be before the goths, but could be from the earlier penetrations by magyar and scythian tribes.  our lads are puzzled because their faulty history doesnt have any runic writers before the vikings and goths.  this extensive family of nations dates back perhaps more than 12,000 years to the turanians, or back to nimrod and noah, 26,000 bce.    we dont even know for certain when abraham, moses, or solomon lived.  our lads pretend to know, which confuses the whole history.

            Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 7:56 PM
            Subject: Re: [Precolumbian_Inscriptions] southwest_script

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009

                look this over plz ...

              IBERIAN EPIGRAPHY PAGE

              by Jesús Rodríguez Ramos

                 he makes a good point by mentioning that iberians had much contact with the basque, where borrowing may have happened.  much diffusion also from north africa.  of course silver and copper mines brought much attention from the old world powers.  cadiz was an important seaport for untold thousands of years, it may have been a colony of atlantis and frisia long before carthage took over.  gibraltar was a fortress in stone age times.  note that we are dealing with a script that even the experts date to 2800 bce, which is amazing since they cringe at dating the earliest phoenician writing to 3000 bce.  in fact they have them suddenly appearing then, and inventing the alphabet right away.

              Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 7:56 PM

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009

                   latest find ...

                Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 7:56 PM

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 10, 2009

                     translation of latest tablet
                  " WARLIKE NOBLE IRO IN THE SEPULTURE A KONITI CONSECRATED MINE YOU PRAY FARMER (ITS FATHER) DEDICATED HERE LIES ITS SON DESCANÇA IN PEACE "
                  by j. r. ramos

                  Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 7:56 PM

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 13, 2009

                       for the record, the transliteration to portuguese was done by
                    ©Carlos A.B.Castelo
                       i used an online translator to render it into english.

                    Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:04 AM

                    Sent: Monday, March 09, 2009 7:56 PM