paleo

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 9, 2009

         some of you may recall that i have been collecting stone age axes for many years.  all of them were found in the northern midwest, new england, and the southeast.  none that i know of were found in the lower midwest.  there are no conclusive dates for them, with most academics assigning dates much younger than i suspect.  imho, the knapping of flint is a much newer technology than used on these.  they could be 100,000 or a million years old, for all we know.  ive read of a new mode of dating stone that may later yield dates for these.
         the lower class of celts are found often in west papua, samoa, and the solomon islands.  some guess 1200-1500 ce for these.  they are used to buy brides, etc.  the earliest explorers asked the natives how they made them, they replied that they never made them, just searched the jungle for where the ancients dropped them.  they display an ancient cultural value of jade.
          my collection has cost me plenty over the years.  unfortunately, few pieces have provenance info.  i have six axes that were made from meteoric iron found in nepal, that are doubly valuable.

      northwest ohio

      west papua