Re: [Precolumbian_Inscriptions] Photo of base of the graneries at Saxsayhuama...

  • Luis Andrade
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 13, 2008
      Hi,

      I'd like to venture the hypothesis that zig-zag designs in ancient monuments, and even pottery, are dualistic representations. Spiritual in nature, yes.

      Best
      Luis

      The city of Cuzco was planned in the shape of a giant Puma, and the zig zags at Saxsayhuaman are the teeth.  It has a spiritual intent.

      ~ Judith Marie

    • william smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 13, 2008
        Hi All
          Some new world researchers call some of these sun dials because in many cases that was their second function. Their first function was for processing food (smokehouse). The high dollar crop in the new world was pepper and tobaco. Both of these products require a processing which would require air drying. A good example of one of these structures is the Newport Tower in Newport, R.I.
        Built (1502 to 1511)
        Built by - (Portuguiese Templers)(skilled craftsman that understood the cosmos)
        Built for - (Processing food and spices to be taken to the old world)(Tracking time of day, time of year) and (Setting the lunar compass for start of return trip)
        best regards
        William

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 13, 2008
          In a message dated 11/13/2008 3:42:05 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, infoplz@... writes:
          earlier you made a comment that seemed to say that the inca were peaceful before the conquest.
          Not at all, but they did not view warfare as we do, with the constant threat of invasion.  After Pachacutti took power, they were expansionist and incorporated conquered people into their empire.

          Until shortly before the Conquest, most of South and Central America practiced warfare as a blood sport for the excess sons of the nobility.

          The last Inca Rulers amassed huge armies and used intimidation. There was little actual fighting.

          They certainly were not expecting the small Spanish force to attack them at Cajamarca.

          As for travel there, I have discovered that there are real advantages to group travel, especially on one's first visit, as that way it is possible to get the lay of the land.  I have almost always either gone in early to get over the ill effect of the flights on my Fibro, to do exploration on my own, or (rarely stayed) after for personal exploration.

          Most travel groups no longer include international airfare in their programs due to fuel costs, and travelers make their own flight arrangements.

          Even when flights are part of the deal, the travel companies special prices are with the airline, and I have simply arranged to have a different day of the same flight at the same price to me.

          As for Americans being welcome...well, I would get too political if I commented on our continued interference in the internal affairs of these countries to the benefit of large international corporations and the detriment of the native populations.

          If you want to go to Bolivia as well (Once Americans are allowed back in) my suggestion would be a trip that starts in La Paz as it is far easier if traveling by land to cross from Bolivia into Peru than the other way around.

          Also, be sure to change money before crossing as every time I have done this, Bolivia will not accept Peruvian currency.

          ~Judith Marie