Any for updates from Jamey on Highland Rim/Stone birds in Caves, sinkholes

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2008

      All,

      About a year or so ago,  member Jamey Clark of Georgia began fielding information and questions by way of a family from the Highland Rim area of Tennessee to Mike and the PreColumbian Inscription web group,  later also to Ancient Waterways.  At that time, the information became  so intriguing  I began exploring various Internet sites  and have been fascinated ever since.  All Tennessee Rivers are Mississippi River tributaries and several sites stated ancient mining of gypsum and other minerals occurred thousands of  years ago w/evidence of more than a mile within certain regions of  Mammoth Cave.  And that mountainous area of the Blue Ridge, Appalachian Mts, Cumberland and Highland Rim has long been experiencing geological uplift.

      I wrote to ask Jamey if he is able to relay to PreColumbian Inscriptions and our other groups an update on the research being done around Melissa's and the other neighbor's caves and sinkholes.

      En route back from the October Ohio conference, I drove into  northern Kentucky headed toward Mammoth. Years ago had spent a week with friends at Big Lick, TN but time restrictions had me delay the exploration until next summer.

      Found something interesting this AM, a Native American stone fort-- a  2000 to  possibly 7000 year old site along the Highland Rim which is only an hour from Nashville and Chattanooga, TN.  I emailed longtime resident of that region of the country, Lee Pennington to ask more about the Highland Rim area and possible links to ancient mining, copper in particular along the ancient Mississippi riverway tributaries near the Copper Basin region of Ducktown, TN.  Lee has attended many Ancient American/AAAPF conferences in the past,  has developed a number of video taped programs, and was a speaker at the Ohio conference last fall. But all of those areas down there seem to be making some very intriguing interconnections with very ancient roots. One of the claims for the old fort is of old Norse/N. European  roots.

      As mentioned to the Thor group here recently,  as was the case for the unexplored layers upon layers of evidence of civilization at the Bay of Biscayne/Miami Circle, and also possibly at Cahokia and other sites, the "stone fort" below may be another example of the origins of particular archeological sites as being thousands of years older, with dating attributed to the top/surface layer and corresponding society at the time.

      From the "Megalithic Portal" (see also long list of nearby mounds bottom of page):

        http://www.megalithic.co.uk/article.php?sid=11079

      The construction itself is found to be 2,000 years old by the archaeological record; but by the same studies, was found to be under development since 7,000 years BP. The Woodland culture, to which the stone construction is connected, is said to have used the site for 500 years. There has been no evidence found of any occupation, which leads to the conclusion that this site was strictly for ceremonial purposes. The walls are of stone inner and outer cores that run parallel throughout. The trench in between the two walls is floored with shale slabs, then filled and capped with earth and rubble. Due to wear and weathering, the walls have diminished and the earth has spilled over to hide any appearance of the stone.

      Photo of Stone Fort/Mounds and wooden sign:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Stone_Fort_(Tennessee)

      Old Stone Fort State Archaeological Park:
      http://www.tennessee.gov/environment/parks/OldStoneFort/

      Sketch of ancient stone  fort @ Duck River/Little Duck River peninsula: http://www.manchestertn.org/Information/Attractions/Fort.jpg

      Member Norm Thomas is a highly experienced caver, I believe studied with a now-retired  professor from the University of Tennessee.  He and Lee would agree the ancient Mississippi Riverway/cave regions of Ky-TN is highly significant as we continue to find evidence and consider further possibilities of  very ancient  human settlements, navigation, and trade  along the Great Lakes-Mississippi Riverway tributaries of North America.

      Hoping for further updates here from Jamey.

      Sincerely,

      M. Susan English

    • michael
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2008
        hi susan, all

        we asked jamie for more photos and info, but none was sent, and
        nothing more heard.
        cj, not sure about the edomite connection to the hebrew lost
        history. can you tell us more.
        like the tayos caves, it started out fascinating, and then just
        fizzled away.
        its a shame that member participation sometimes runs so low at
        critical times, that the opportunity is lost. it happened when we
        had russ burrows here, and willing to talk.

        mike

        --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "Susan"
        <beldingenglish@...> wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Sketch of ancient stone fort @ Duck River/Little Duck River
        peninsula:
        > http://www.manchestertn.org/Information/Attractions/Fort.jpg
        > <http://www.manchestertn.org/Information/Attractions/Fort.jpg>
        >
        > Member Norm Thomas is a highly experienced caver, I believe
        studied with
        > a now-retired professor from the University of Tennessee. He and
        Lee
        > would agree the ancient Mississippi Riverway/cave regions of Ky-TN
        is
        > highly significant as we continue to find evidence and consider
        further
        > possibilities of very ancient human settlements, navigation, and
        trade
        > along the Great Lakes-Mississippi Riverway tributaries of North
        America.

        > Hoping for further updates here from Jamey.

      • Susan
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2008

          Mike,

          I figured it was not impatient of me one year later to inquire and am hoping when information comes his way again, Jamey will update you here at PreColumbian Inscriptions. It may be that the group Jamey and Melissa are working with is still investigating.

          I went to Olney, Illinois after the Ohio conference jaunting back and forth along bordering states. Explored several archaeological sites, then a boat ride a mile into a cave near Rick Osmond's.

          Speaking of which, I do get an email from Russell Burrows from time to time from his home out west. Last I heard was just before the Ohio conference when he was in Ohio attending a conference related to another longtime interest.  Russ had called  my cell phone a number of times the month I was gutting houses and doing healthcare  in New Orleans post-Katrina; he was very kindly and supportive, and I'll not forget that.

          Maybe Russ will come on-line again if there should be reason to believe the inquiries could be extended farther than the last. Not sure I believe everyone would stay cordial and follow PreColumbian Inscriptions guidelines that each of the spring-off groups have adopted and strive to maintain. If I recall, I believe I quit the group here for awhile so as to prevent myself from furthering more curtly what I already had to say. I rejoined PI again after the discussion was over and I cooled down.

           I generally don't write here because I am not very 'inscriptions'-savy and don't like to bring up off-topic things.  Since Jamey began his research with the group last year, it was on-topic to bring the matter up again at this site.  Also mentioned it to two other groups interested then in the discussion. And I hope now.

          Susan

          ...connecting people to people  and to resources on ancient global waterways, hoping to recover who we human beings really are:

          --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "michael" <infoplz@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > Sketch of ancient stone fort @ Duck River/Little Duck River
          > peninsula:
          > > http://www.manchestertn.org/Information/Attractions/Fort.jpg
          > > <http://www.manchestertn.org/Information/Attractions/Fort.jpg>
          > >
          > > Member Norm Thomas is a highly experienced caver, I believe
          > studied with
          > > a now-retired professor from the University of Tennessee. He and
          > Lee
          > > would agree the ancient Mississippi Riverway/cave regions of Ky-TN
          > is
          > > highly significant as we continue to find evidence and consider
          > further
          > > possibilities of very ancient human settlements, navigation, and
          > trade
          > > along the Great Lakes-Mississippi Riverway tributaries of North
          > America.
          > >
          > > Hoping for further updates here from Jamey.

        • james m. clark jr.
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30, 2008
            Hi All,

            Melissa requested that I not show the photos until she found out the
            best thing to do. I am sure she is just as astonished still as I am as
            to what these artifacts are actually. I still have the 7 photos, so
            bare with me. She has 3 more she hasn't shown me yet. I just got back
            on line a few weeks ago.

            I still have stone marbles I was going to send that I also talked
            about, however, I only have one that is clay but my brother gave the
            rest of the stones to my cousin, since they are his.

            The only thing is I don't own a digital camera, and his is in the pawn
            shop.

            be well,
            jamey