apocalypto

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007

        this may be old news to some, but i just saw mel gibson's movie 'apocalypto' on starz channel.
         he sets the movie just prior to the spaniards arrival.  it would have been a far better epic had he staged it during the fall of the mayan ruling class, near the close of their classical age circa 700 ce.  this was the time of the revolt of the lower classes, and the extermination of the dolichocephalic skull race.  a very tragic time, when most of the high culture that had survived for thousands of years, was lost and forgotten.  the culture met by cortez was much degraded from its former glory.
         if only we could glimpse the high cultures of mexico circa 3000 bce, when the andeans and lost tribes arrived and added new ideas to what remained of the former greatness of what they had in 10,000 bce, and 40,000 bce.  we have not found proofs of those high times yet, but somewhere deep in the soil of mexico i believe proofs do exist, that will show that the true classical times were 10,000 bce and before.  they may have still carved stela by 700 ce, but i think these warlike and bloodthirsty people would not compare to the great races that preceded them.
          needless to say, i was disappointed by the movie on the maya.  the great epic that is needed has not been made yet.  it awaits a director with vision, or one who can find what the mystics have written, and imagine what it must have been like.
         mexico during those ancient times must have been more mysterious and exotic than even egypt.  for it was a land of refuge for several antediluvian cultures, atlantis and lemuria included.
         even a scientific mind should allow that just because proofs have not yet been found, does not preclude that they do not exist.  i would be more surprises if in over 2 million years men in the americas had not reached a high culture until the classical age assigned by our accepted historians.

      Regards
      mike white
      www.all-ez.com

    • jdaintira@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
        And, based on what we do know, this movie was wildly inaccurate and insulting to the real Maya of that time.  ~ Judith Marie

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007

             you mean showing the maya living in grass huts?  they certainly didnt represent the itza maya described by the chroniclers.  with the burnings carried out by the conquistadors, the maya cultute went into a more rapid decline, so now the maya survive, but have lost so much.

          Sent: Monday, November 05, 2007 9:44 PM
          Subject: Re: [Precolumbian_Inscriptions] apocalypto

          And, based on what we do know, this movie was wildly inaccurate and insulting to the real Maya of that time.  ~ Judith Marie

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        • jdaintira@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007
            In a message dated 11/5/2007 7:59:41 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, infoplz@... writes:
            you mean showing the maya living in grass huts?  they certainly didnt represent the itza maya described by the chroniclers
            There were some very detailed articles on this when the movie first came out.  If I can find one I will post it through.

            They did not live off in isolated compounds in the jungle but with the elaborate road systems were all parts of various city states.

            The level and types of violence shown were also indicative of the Itza and Aztec, not the Mayans.

            ~JM