5028Re: The Last Inland Sea

  • michael
    Feb 1, 2005
      glad to see you got posted mr oldag. i disagree on the kensington
      rune stone, and think its authentic. as you say, these early sailors
      were not scholars or scribes. imho, the vikings had a large
      settlement in wisc and minn by 1000 ce. it doesnt rest on the krs
      alone, dated 1362. dozens or hundreds of shiploads of migrants could
      have come within 362 years. the message shows that the tribes were
      decimating the vikings. i think if all of the viking relics in
      private collections within those two states were brought forward, we
      would have quite a heap. i think the canadian site were vikings, who
      built shelters after shipwreck. it certainly wasnt vinland. they
      were in rhode island, and up the st lawrence.
      i think many of these viking families wanted to break with the old
      world. they were tired of the taxing by church and state. they
      wanted to escape cruel feudalism, and the risk of plague.
      its possible that attacks by natives reduced their number to the
      point, where the few survivors had to go native.
      one would expect lots of viking graves, both christian and pagan.
      members in those states should verify if such can be found. i think
      we would have heard if a plot with headstones with runes had been
      found. its a mystery. rock lake may have a longboat royal burial.
      they took so much care to conceal it by diverting a river to form a
      lake over it. possibly the natives would desecrate marked graves?
      could they honor their own, but profane those of their enemies? if
      they found iron swords and axes they might consider it. this might
      account for the unmarked graves.

      --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, "E. F. Legner"
      <e.legner@u...> wrote:
      > Matrosen gewohnlich haben keine Zeit fur sowas. Aber Du screibst
      auserordentlich schon!
      > ==============

      Baghdad with ease! The
      > > distance from Gotland/ Schonen to these places is around 1,600kms.
      > >
      > > As long as the Vikings had some little river they explored it
      with their ships and they
      > > even towed them over land bridges, see Haithabu.
      > >

      > > As far as I know the Kensington Stone was declared a fake.
      However, the scientists never
      > > considered that seafarer were never great writers ( they are not
      even good ones today!)

      > > So some errors in writing and style must be permissible.
      > >
      > > Best regards
      > >
      > > Claus Oldag
      > >
      > > 671 24 68, 665 2683, 760 72 80 cell

      ----------------------

      Canada. That area today
      > > does not
      > > support wild grapes to the extent that the Vikings apparently
      saw. But, would Vikings
      > > have reached
      > > the Inland Sea you noted? That would have been 1,000 miles
      further west.
      > > ====================

      http://www.smithsonianmag.si.edu/smithsonian/issues97/dec97/deserts.ht
      ml

      BOB@@@

      > > > dcampbell75479 <fred-dobbs@u...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > John Lindsey, in discussing the Rockwall research told me that
      an
      > > > inland sea or a vastly expanded version of the Trinity River
      drainage
      > > > of today existed as recently as 2000 years ago. He did not name
      the
      > > > source of this information but he found it in conjunction with
      the
      > > > Caddo legend of the river rising to over a mile wide every 900
      years.
      > > > I do know that at the end of the glacial melt all the rivers in
      Texas
      > > > were vastly larger with capacities up to four times that of the
      > > > present Amazon. The cutoff of the Brazos by the Pecos at this
      time
      > > > resulted in a dramatic climactic/environmental change turning
      the
      > > > watering holes of huge herds of Pleistocene megafauna into
      desert
      > > > mudholes. The fossil beds confirm this. Source of the this
      information
      > > > was the 1952 report of the East Texas Geological Society.
      > > >
      > > > Hosted by http://all-ez.com/epigraphy.htm
      > > > Group Site : http://www.epigraphyusa.com
      > > > To unsubscribe from this group, although we hope
      > > > you stay and help us improve. First consider changing to daily
      digest, or no mail -
      > > web
      > > > only, visit main and edit membership :
      > > > if you must leave send an email to:

      Service.

      > > Hosted by http://all-ez.com/epigraphy.htm
      > > Group Site : http://www.epigraphyusa.com
      > > To unsubscribe from this group, although we hope
      > > you stay and help us improve. First consider changing to daily
      digest, or no mail - web
      > > only, visit main and edit membership :
      > > if you must leave send an email to:
      > >
      > > Hosted by http://all-ez.com/epigraphy.htm
      > > Group Site : http://www.epigraphyusa.com
      > > To unsubscribe from this group, although we hope
      > > you stay and help us improve. First consider changing to daily
      digest, or no mail - web
      > > only, visit main and edit membership :
      > > if you must leave send an email to:

      Service.