      From: mike white [mailto:sparky@...]
      Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2003 6:24 AM
      To: Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [Precolumbian_Inscriptions] Re: Norse Axe from Tor Bay near Canso

      hi terry, all

         i was aware of the difference, but could not find any info in my search for the tor bay axe.  other than it was thought a colonial french jesuit trade item, as you know, and its been lost.  as was said, the widow may have it.  not knowing the distance between the finds, i thought the magyar rovas rune theory may be a clue to the axe's transliteration.
         has anyone excavated the so-called 'viking great house' located near one of these finds?  it may have been the same group involved in both alleged artifacts.  600 km isnt so far for voyagers who came so far, and are thought to have gone as far as minnesota.

      Sent: Wednesday, October 01, 2003 10:18 AM

      Mike, thanks a lot for your post. It is a bit confusing, but the so-
      called "Runic Stone" from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia (also called the
      Fletcher Stone) is an artefact totally unrelated to the Tor Bay axe;
      they were found at opposite ends of the Province (about 600 km apart).

      The Fletcher Stone is a very interesting artefact in its own right,
      as it does appear to have characters engraved on it, but they are
      evidently not Norse runes from a recognizable futhark.

      The Tor Bay axe has three so-called "wend runes", and a number of
      other designs that were interpreted by Strandwold as "secret runes",
      but which appear meerely as geometric patterns to the uninitiated.

      Terry