      From: bigalemc2
      Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2012 10:47 PM
      Subject: [Precolumbian_Inscriptions] Re: The Mystery Rock Los Lunas, NM

      This thread dates back a long time.

      I just ran across the Las Lunas Mystery Stone the other day.

      For a good look at it, go on Google Images and type in 'Las Lunas
      stone'. Lots of images of it.

      I thought it looked a lot like Berber, but when I did 'Berber alphabet'
      on Google Images, that didn't work.

      So since the Berbers were more or less contiguous with the
      Carthaginians, and the Carthaginians I've always understood to be
      Phoenicians, I then looked up 'Phoenician alphabet' on Google Images.

      Bingo!

      Almost all characters are Phoenician. The one that looks Hebrew has a
      Phoenician reasonable look-alike.

      The translation mythisis posted sounds entirely plausible to me, for
      what that is worth.

      The existence of this stone argues strongly for a Phoenician presence in
      the contiguous U.S. in the 1st millennium B.C.E., no matter that arkies
      are ignoring it for the most part.

      Arkies in the U.S. don't go out and find things on their own, and when
      an amateur finds anything they don't like, they label it a fraud and go
      on their merry way.

      On the other hand, I just read about how in the U.K. when a new
      development is having initial excavating done, an arkie actually walks
      behind the caterpillar looking for artifacts. It is just the way they
      do it. Kudos to them.

      Steve Garcia

      --- In Precolumbian_Inscriptions@yahoogroups.com, mythisis@... wrote:

      > _Towns & Tales_ (http://www.hometowntales.com/towns)
      > The Mystery Rock
      > Los Lunas, NM
      >
      > In the desert outside of Los Lunas, sits a rock with a cryptic
      message
      > chiseled into it. The message is old. It’s also in an unknown
      language. Who did
      > it? When? What does it mean? These questions came together to create
      the legend
      > on New Mexico's Mystery Rock.
      > Los Lunas residents say they can remember being shown the rock from
      their
      > grandfathers, who in turn remember their grandfathers showing them.
      Encounters
      > with the stone go back as far as 1800. There are even tales among the
      Pueblo
      > Indians that the rock has been around for several dozen generations.
      Yet,
      > the inscription is remarkably deep and clear. Carved into a flat rock
      embedded
      > deep in the basalt face of the mountain is an inscription so strange
      that it
      > has puzzled archeologists, anthropologists and researchers for
      decades. A
      > close examination reveals there are nine lines of writing comprised
      of 214
      > letters. Some argued the writing resembled ancient Navajo. Experts
      say the letters
      > represent a combination of different alphabets: most are
      > Canaanite-Phoenician, though some say there are also Hebrew letters
      and a few characters that
      > resemble Russian Cyrillic, and at least one Egyptian symbol. In Los
      Lunas? What’
      > s up with that?
      >

      > In 1949 a photograph of the inscription was sent to Harvard
      University. A
      > study described the writing as Old Phoenician that had not been used
      in over
      > two thousand years. For years, everybody had tried to break the
      mystery. In the
      > early 70s, Dixie Perkins from Albuquerque, who with experience in
      > deciphering ancient texts, solved broke the code. She identified the
      writing as being
      > early Greek, a form of the Phoenician alphabet. She interpreted the
      > inscription and discovered even the name of the author. To decode the
      ancient message,
      > it was necessary to add the vowels to the text, as it was the custom
      in
      > ancient Greek to eliminate them to save time in chiseling hard rock
      surfaces.
      > "I have come to this place to stay. The other one met with an
      untimely death
      > in battle, dishonored, insulted and stripped of flesh. The men
      thought him
      > to be an object of care whom I looked after, considered crazed, to be
      tossed
      > about as if in a wind, to perish in poverty and need. By my kinsmen I
      was
      > respected and honored, of blessed lot, with a body of slaves and so
      many olive
      > trees, a peg to hand anything upon. Men punished me with exile to
      exact a
      > retribution for a debt; meanwhile, I remain here as a rabbit. I,
      Zakyneros, just
      > as a prophet, out of reach of mortal man, I am fleeing and very
      afraid. I am
      > dross, refuse, scum, just as aboard ship a soft, effeminate sailor is
      flayed
      > with an animal hide, all who speak offensively are lashed or beaten
      with a
      > cane; but after a short time, the hurtful ones may be sated; at an
      unseasonable
      > time, I remain to protect from the rainy southwest winds the hollow
      or the
      > ravine. Very much harvest is gathered in, very much is in the woody
      dell and
      > glen; very many bags of young deer. Very many hides with luxuriant
      hair; by
      > the channel of a river, swift flowing. Very much is given by the
      gods, the
      > choicest kind of gift, to call upon the gods for again and again, at
      the
      > unseasonable time I become gaunt from hunger."
      > New Mexico has a history of odd visitations: Aliens, Conquistadors,
      Shirley
      > MacClean and now, it seems, we can add the ancient Greeks. Now the
      mystery
      > inscription is known, it’s raised more questions than answers.
      > Sources:
      > Mysteries & Miracles of New Mexico, Jack Kutz
      > Rhombus Publishing Co., Corrales NM , ©1988
      > _http://www.hometowntales.com/mysteryrock.html_
      > (http://www.hometowntales.com/mysteryrock.html)
      >
      > People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when
      the sun's
      > out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only
      if th
      > ere is light within.
      > - Elizabeth Kubler-Ross

      > PsychicAnimalCommunication@yahoogroups.com