Re: PGI Competition

  • miabdia
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 3, 2008
      Warning, never hit the backspace button after you have written a long
      thought out message. Time dictates that I tone down my 2nd try.

      I vote no music. May be a treat for the judges and will ease set up
      and planning. I hear where you are coming from Dan, that if we had a
      song in mind we could build around it. My thinking is we can still
      build around a song, but just not play play it if that simplifies
      things for us.

      I would first verify if we CAN bring our product with and then move
      on to considering doing so. Either way, I would be inclined to
      purchase there. I am already bringing too much gear for camping and
      space will be an issue. Keith Meyer mentioned that he will be
      working class c sales, I assume that means Big Top. If we know who
      is coming we will know what products will be available in vending.
      Lets try to keep our purchases for this as local as possible from
      those sellers doing business in vending that we may otherwise deal
      with back home. Efire will save on the issue of trying to time fuse
      to cakes in succession.

      Before I hit backspace, I had a tally written up of about what our 14
      minute show for the group shoot might have cost us based on the
      product from the google sheet. It was about $1300 by my estimation.
      Probably safe to say that the competition shoot which will be packed
      into 1/3 of the time at 5 minutes and about 1/4 of the space could be
      as little as this. Start heavy loading the competition with $15+
      500g cakes and no cheap filler shells and we will certainly pop that
      #. What about transport of all of the guns if we do decide to do
      over 500 shells or reloadable mines again? Brent, Jon, Dean, are you
      guys gonna drag your racks all the way to Wyoming for this deal?
      Talk about a space killer!

      How about a new google spread sheet to drag out ideas, further, how
      about requesting a space on pyroclubs.com for our own forum thread?
      I like that better than this deal. I will adapt either way.
      Hans

      --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "muzzey314"
      <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

      > --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "luann_moore1313"
      > <luann_moore1313@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I will be available to help with whatever we might decide to do
      at the
      > > PGI convention.
      > >
      > > Brent
      > >

      > Its amazing how fast time flies. Before we know it the convention
      is
      > going to be on us. I figure its about time to start planning what
      we
      > want to do. At least get some of the basics in place.
      >
      > First question. Music or no music? If we do go with music what
      > should we use? Once I get a song in my head the pieces are going to
      > start falling into place.
      >
      > Next question. Are we going to bring stuff with or are we planning
      > see what we can pick up when we arrive. I've heard rumblings that
      > Hales will probably be out there and Spirit of 76 may be as well.
      > Probably all the other old faithfulls as well. A little advance
      > planning here and we can probably get some stuff delivered for us
      out
      > there and save a little bit over PGI costs. Might even be able to
      get
      > a reduction in PGI prices for stuff used in the show if we have some
      > good relationships with the people running the booths. Then again,
      we
      > could just bring stuff.
      >
      > I don't know when the small C competition is but based on my luck it
      > will probably be the first night of competitions. So, pretty much
      the
      > first full day there. I'm sure we will find out more later.
      >
      > So far I've got five people interested. Anyone else? And on that
      > matter, anybody else competing in anything? I'd like to know just
      so
      > I can cheer you on.
      >
      > Dan

    • Keith Meyer
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 3, 2008

        I’m sure I will be bringing a van with a trailer full of fireworks for Big Top to Wyoming. We may have a crack of space here or there to stuff some racks in for our show. And I will certainly work with the club to get product for our show from Big Top at cost or less. I’m sure we will have an assortment of 200 and 500 gram cakes as well as rockets at our table. I’m pretty sure we’ll have some Super Magnums as well as some other good shells.

        And if we want music, I will volunteer to put it together. I have a music editing program where it is very easy to piece together cuts from different songs. I can even put cues in the program for synching firing to music. I think timing the fireworks to the music impresses judges rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff in the air willy-nilly. Just my opinion. The only catch is whether we can patch the sound from my computer through to the sound system they use. If we have the right adapters and jacks it is simple, but we would need to know the type of input jacks the sound system has and then make sure we have the right connections.

        Music suggestions: if we have a wheel of some sort, you can use a cut from Proud Mary – “rollin’ down the river”. The Lone Ranger song has some neat climaxes at the end that work very well for timed shots. 1812 overture – think the old Quaker Oats song – works well with timed mines. The Minute Waltz has some playful starts and stops in the music that could be timed to shells with fish in them. Just some ideas….

        Keith

        <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

        > --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com,
        "luann_moore1313"
        > <luann_moore1313@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I will be available to help with whatever we might decide to do
        at the
        > > PGI convention.
        > >
        > > Brent
        > >

        > Its amazing how fast time flies. Before we know it the convention
        is
        > going to be on us. I figure its about time to start planning what
        we
        > want to do. At least get some of the basics in place.
        >
        > First question. Music or no music? If we do go with music what
        > should we use? Once I get a song in my head the pieces are going to
        > start falling into place.
        >
        > Next question. Are we going to bring stuff with or are we planning
        > see what we can pick up when we arrive. I've heard rumblings that
        > Hales will probably be out there and Spirit of 76 may be as well.
        > Probably all the other old faithfulls as well. A little advance
        > planning here and we can probably get some stuff delivered for us
        out
        > there and save a little bit over PGI costs. Might even be able to
        get
        > a reduction in PGI prices for stuff used in the show if we have some
        > good relationships with the people running the booths. Then again,
        we
        > could just bring stuff.
        >
        > I don't know when the small C competition is but based on my luck it
        > will probably be the first night of competitions. So, pretty much
        the
        > first full day there. I'm sure we will find out more later.
        >
        > So far I've got five people interested. Anyone else? And on that
        > matter, anybody else competing in anything? I'd like to know just
        so
        > I can cheer you on.
        >
        > Dan

      • miabdia
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 3, 2008
          Black Eyed Peas Pump it is 3:35. Has highs, lows, build up, familiar
          melody (Dick Dale I believe).

          Ladies and Gentlemen by Saliva is 3:37, has good pyro elements and the
          title and chorus are descript. "ladies and gentlemen good
          evening....... welcome to the show, please come inside"

          I would love to see Battle without Honor or integrity by Tomoyasu
          Hotei used in a pyro show but is only 2:30.

          I only suggest these because they would require NO editing for our
          purposes and I think they would be great in a show.

          Hans

          --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, Keith Meyer
          <Keith.Meyer@...> wrote:

          > I'm sure I will be bringing a van with a trailer full of fireworks
          for Big Top to Wyoming. We may have a crack of space here or there to
          stuff some racks in for our show. And I will certainly work with the
          club to get product for our show from Big Top at cost or less. I'm
          sure we will have an assortment of 200 and 500 gram cakes as well as
          rockets at our table. I'm pretty sure we'll have some Super Magnums as
          well as some other good shells.

          > And if we want music, I will volunteer to put it together. I have a
          music editing program where it is very easy to piece together cuts
          from different songs. I can even put cues in the program for synching
          firing to music. I think timing the fireworks to the music impresses
          judges rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff in the air
          willy-nilly. Just my opinion. The only catch is whether we can patch
          the sound from my computer through to the sound system they use. If we
          have the right adapters and jacks it is simple, but we would need to
          know the type of input jacks the sound system has and then make sure
          we have the right connections.

          > Music suggestions: if we have a wheel of some sort, you can use a
          cut from Proud Mary - "rollin' down the river". The Lone Ranger song
          has some neat climaxes at the end that work very well for timed shots.
          1812 overture - think the old Quaker Oats song - works well with timed
          mines. The Minute Waltz has some playful starts and stops in the music
          that could be timed to shells with fish in them. Just some ideas....

          > Keith

          PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:PrairieThunderPyrotechnics%40yahoogroups.com>,
          "muzzey314"

          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
          • Keith Meyer
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008

              Big Band era – In the Mood. It starts with some good swing rhythm, then has a middle part that gets softer, and softer, and then jumps back up to full band volume for the big finish. I’m sure we could play off the volume changes and the beat of the music to coordinate our shooting to the music.

              Keith

              How about something completely different?  Maybe some Jazz or Big Band?  I don’t have much knowledge of Jazz but it may be a refreshing change.  Can anybody recommend something?

              <Keith.Meyer@...> wrote:

              > I'm sure I will be bringing a van with a trailer full of fireworks
              for Big Top to Wyoming. We may have a crack of space here or there to
              stuff some racks in for our show. And I will certainly work with the
              club to get product for our show from Big Top at cost or less. I'm
              sure we will have an assortment of 200 and 500 gram cakes as well as
              rockets at our table. I'm pretty sure we'll have some Super Magnums as
              well as some other good shells.

              > And if we want music, I will volunteer to put it together. I have a
              music editing program where it is very easy to piece together cuts
              from different songs. I can even put cues in the program for synching
              firing to music. I think timing the fireworks to the music impresses
              judges rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff in the air
              willy-nilly. Just my opinion. The only catch is whether we can patch
              the sound from my computer through to the sound system they use. If we
              have the right adapters and jacks it is simple, but we would need to
              know the type of input jacks the sound system has and then make sure
              we have the right connections.

              > Music suggestions: if we have a wheel of some sort, you can use a
              cut from Proud Mary - "rollin' down the river". The Lone Ranger song
              has some neat climaxes at the end that work very well for timed shots.
              1812 overture - think the old Quaker Oats song - works well with timed
              mines. The Minute Waltz has some playful starts and stops in the music
              that could be timed to shells with fish in them. Just some ideas....

              > Keith

            • miabdia
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                Big Bad Voodoo Daddy has some great modern swing stuff vocals.
                Mr. Pinstrip Suit- 3:38

                Mambo Swing is a better song but a big chunk would have to be cut
                somehow since it is a tad over 5 min long.

                Links to both on youtube
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pst9G9p8ZnY
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmpmjsq8Z70

                --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Muzzey"

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                • miabdia
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 9, 2008
                    The FM symphony along with several of the area Choral groups did the
                    entire production of Carmina Borana this past season. If we use this
                    piece, we should get the recording of this performance to add yet
                    another local element. FYI-it was impressive in person.

                    Hans

                    <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

                    > One more suggestion....
                    >
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Fortuna
                    >
                    > O Fortuna from Carmina Burana. This one may be a little over our
                    heads
                    > or it may have been done before. Its pretty recognizable. There
                    is a
                    > short clip of it on the wiki site.
                    >
                    > Dan
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                    Muzzey"

                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 9, 2008
                    • miabdia
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 16, 2008

                        I finally got around to reviewing the competition rules.  I am thinking that our vision and planning may be better suited to large class c.

                        Competition 4-B: Best Large Class C Display

                        The competitor's entry must be in no more than three areas, with a combined perimeter of no more than 100 feet. Boundary tape will be issued to the competitor to mark the entry. Structures for mounting devices may not exceed 12 feet in height. Grand Master Point Code "D"

                        packing all of our planning into a 5x15 as required by the small class c would not do justice to the crossing comet and mine run ideas that we have so far.  If we choose the large category we can  space things out across 75-150 feet in 3 separate areas of 4'x11' or any other format that keeps us under the 100' perimiter limitation.  We could also do 2 larger areas of maybe 10'x15' spread apart.

                        I ordered 350 quick fire lc clips from Jeff at electricmatch.com.  I will try these out when they arrive for ematch to visco connection and ematch to lift charge on the mines and shells where timing will be key.  Obviously going to the next level opens the door to getting our butts handed to us by others who have been doing it for years.  I am just having touble envisioning a show packed into the space requirments of the small category.

                        For those of you who have not committed to membership in PTPG or participation in this competition, it is time to jump in.

                        Email me or Pat for membership info, email Dan for a link to the google planning page for the competition.

                        Hans

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 17, 2008
                        • miabdia
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 17, 2008
                            I am not overconfident or convinced that we could reasonably compete
                            in the large category either. Like I said, how are we going to pack
                            all of our brilliance into an area the size of the footprint of a
                            1979 Honda Civic? 3 wireless slats, ?6? sequencers, lumber for legs
                            and bracing on raised display items will cut our available ground
                            space down even more. What this equates to is essentially two 4x8
                            sheets of plywood. Looking back at my pictures from our group shoot,
                            I am guessing that our center section took up at least a 20x20 area.
                            The side sections were smaller but not much. Yes we were pressed for
                            time and were not packed in as tight as we could have been. 650
                            racked shells does not help the cause either.

                            I started the registration process for our club on the pgi site the
                            other day and saved my work until we decided on which division we
                            were going to enter. Going by what the online system says, "You may
                            modify your entries at any time before August 8, 2008". This works
                            in our favor. Lets see how the product list comes together from on
                            site vendors and stuff that we intend to bring along, and also see
                            how the spreadsheet fills out.

                            I have just adjusted my inventory sheet to reflect what I will use on
                            my 2 shoots over the 4th. I will have over 110-200g cakes left after
                            that. These represent a bit of mish mash of 4-7 of each left in
                            cases that started as cases of 8-12. At this time I can comfortably
                            commit to being able to provide 3-6 of each of 14 different kinds of
                            200g cakes for a total of 36-40. I will get them updated to the
                            google sheet in the next couple of days so everybody can see what I
                            have available and we can adjust up or down to taste. With our time
                            concerns of 4-5 minutes, i would imagine that any 200g cake we use
                            would be fired in simultaneous multiples as a lower level to somthing
                            bigger above or smaller below. For instance, 6 Buck Fever
                            quickmatched together shooting straight up with some tailed shells
                            crossing each other or otherwise shooting out from the display at an
                            angle.

                            That is all for now.
                            Hans

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 17, 2008
                            • Andy Holcomb
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 19, 2008
                                The following message was posted on the Passfire (www.passsfire.com) forum
                                this morning by Ned Gorski. I think we should explore this option.

                                Passfirers,
                                We all know that club and show insurance has been pretty much provided by a
                                monopoly, and the costs have been non-negotiable.
                                Recently some info came from a Bluegrass member that there was a new
                                insurance alternative, and another member, David, followed up on it.
                                It has saved him a lot of $, and it looks quite possible that it will save
                                Bluegrass 3-4K on insurance next when our policy is up for renewal at the
                                end of the year.
                                I thought this info might be interesting to some of y'all.
                                ned

                                Ned:

                                Ryder-Roasacker-McCue & Huston has been providing pyrotechnics insurance to
                                some of the larger players for a number of years, but have, until recently,
                                been cost-prohibitive for clubs and smaller operators. They have revised
                                their business structure this year to provide an alternative to clubs and
                                those of us on the smaller side. Their underwriter is based here in the
                                States, so the quote and binding process is smoother and quicker than I have
                                experienced in the past. I've been doing business with them for a little
                                over a month now, and they strike me as extremely professional and
                                dedicated. They are very responsive to emailed questions and concerns, and
                                seem to be more honest and straightforward than I am accustomed to an
                                insurer of any flavor being.

                                I was able to obtain $2 million in coverage (double my previous coverage)
                                for almost $4,000 cheaper than my premium last year. They are able to
                                receive, process, and return Certificate of Insurance requests via email and
                                within 24 hours, and their staff has been a joy to work with. They also
                                offer financing.

                                Tami Towne, CIC
                                Ryder-Rosacker-McCue & Huston
                                509 W Koenig St PO Box 1228
                                Grand Island NE 68802
                                Phone: 308-382-2330
                                Fax: 308-382-7109

                                Hope that's what you're looking for! So far, I'm quite pleased to have found
                                an alternative, and am very satisfied with their level of service and
                                efficiency of operation.

                                Best,
                                David
                              • miabdia
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 19, 2008
                                  Thanks Andy. LuAnn offered this same solution to the board back in
                                  April. We breathed a sigh of relief to know that our original
                                  estimates of insurance were going to come down a bunch based on the
                                  #'s that Ryder was offering. The fact remains that we will still be
                                  looking at about $4500-5k to properly insure our club for a year. We
                                  need a huge boost in memberships to do this. We currently have about
                                  1k in the bank and hopefully after this fireworks season in over we
                                  will have a whole bunch of potential members knocking at our door who
                                  want to get in the game.

                                  I am awaiting approval from a majority of the board to go ahead and
                                  start spreading out the promo flyer which can be found in the files
                                  section of this group. Once we get the go ahead, my dream is that
                                  everybody who walks up to the counter to pay for their wares at any
                                  fireworks stand in the area will leave the store with a flyer or at
                                  least the web address.
                                  Hans

                                  --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Holcomb"
                                  <andrew_holcomb@...> wrote:

                                  > The following message was posted on the Passfire
                                  (www.passsfire.com) forum
                                  > this morning by Ned Gorski. I think we should explore this option.
                                  >

                                  > Passfirers,
                                  > We all know that club and show insurance has been pretty much
                                  provided by a
                                  > monopoly, and the costs have been non-negotiable.
                                  > Recently some info came from a Bluegrass member that there was a new
                                  > insurance alternative, and another member, David, followed up on it.
                                  > It has saved him a lot of $, and it looks quite possible that it
                                  will save
                                  > Bluegrass 3-4K on insurance next when our policy is up for renewal
                                  at the
                                  > end of the year.
                                  > I thought this info might be interesting to some of y'all.
                                  > ned
                                  >

                                  > Ned:
                                  >
                                  > Ryder-Roasacker-McCue & Huston has been providing pyrotechnics
                                  insurance to
                                  > some of the larger players for a number of years, but have, until
                                  recently,
                                  > been cost-prohibitive for clubs and smaller operators. They have
                                  revised
                                  > their business structure this year to provide an alternative to
                                  clubs and
                                  > those of us on the smaller side. Their underwriter is based here in
                                  the
                                  > States, so the quote and binding process is smoother and quicker
                                  than I have
                                  > experienced in the past. I've been doing business with them for a
                                  little
                                  > over a month now, and they strike me as extremely professional and
                                  > dedicated. They are very responsive to emailed questions and
                                  concerns, and
                                  > seem to be more honest and straightforward than I am accustomed to
                                  an
                                  > insurer of any flavor being.
                                  >
                                  > I was able to obtain $2 million in coverage (double my previous
                                  coverage)
                                  > for almost $4,000 cheaper than my premium last year. They are able
                                  > receive, process, and return Certificate of Insurance requests via
                                  email and
                                  > within 24 hours, and their staff has been a joy to work with. They
                                  also
                                  > offer financing.
                                  >
                                  > Tami Towne, CIC
                                  > Ryder-Rosacker-McCue & Huston
                                  > 509 W Koenig St PO Box 1228
                                  > Grand Island NE 68802
                                  > Phone: 308-382-2330
                                  > Fax: 308-382-7109
                                  >
                                  > Hope that's what you're looking for! So far, I'm quite pleased to
                                  have found
                                  > an alternative, and am very satisfied with their level of service
                                  and
                                  > efficiency of operation.
                                  >
                                  > Best,
                                  > David

                                • Andy Holcomb
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 21, 2008
                                    Wonderful! The flyer looks good. I'll distribute copies to the local stands
                                    here too, with a slight modification to add "and surrounding area" (if
                                    that's ok) if you get the go-ahead for distribution.

                                    Would it be possible to get an original electronic copy of the bylaws out on
                                    our website? I visited the other day and it appears that the PDF is a scan
                                    of the paper copy, so isn't the best quality to read. If you email me a
                                    word file, I've got a licensed copy of Acrobat and can sharpen up the text
                                    as well as make it searchable.

                                    Andy