Re: [PrairieThunderPyrotechnics] Cobra group buy

  • Cody Mammenga
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2013
      There is also the merlock.  It is made in the USA.  It is 32 cues on a module and has either 2 db25s for ODA compatible slats with 12 cues on module or uses a 32 cue centronics style slat such as what the starfire uses.  The system is relatively cheap and works great.  It is a 2 wire system like the starfire and is fired using the laptop.  I purchased one last year and have used at one show and it works great.  Just another thought for anyone interested.  I have also used the cobra and I liked them when I used it but I only used them on one show.

      On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Dan Muzzey <muzzey314@...> wrote:

      I've used the Cobra systems, star fire, and remotefiringsystems.com (more affectionatly known as dewey systems).  I would not recommend a Cobra system.  In my opinion, from an engineering perspective they screwed up by using a nine volt battery as the power source.  In addition to this the terminal blocks are much smaller than i would prefer.  Our show down in saint louis used one of these and I'm pretty sure we had some cues that showed continuity yet didn't fire.  The ematches fired later.  I can't prove it was the system but it definately wasn't my favorite system to use.  Kevin was down there with me and he might be able to provide a more favorable review than me.

      Dewey's systems are roughly the same price but use a much bigger terminal block and battery.  In fact they may be a little cheeper although they are physically larger.

      If you can afford it the star fires are very nice.  Complete computer firing :)  I've used these down in Saint Louis and while helping Dominator at the PGI and NFA.  These systems are very nice.

      I know of another system that is in the works right now.  It will be a computer controlled system (USB) and it may have a stand alone option, not sure on that.  The target price for this system is 10 bucks a cue.  My guess is it will probably use the smaller terminal blocks I don't like but the price is very attractive.  They are targetting June to have the system finised.

      Dan