Re: PGI Competition

  • muzzey314
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 1, 2008
      --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "luann_moore1313"
      <luann_moore1313@...> wrote:

      > I will be available to help with whatever we might decide to do at the
      > PGI convention.
      >
      > Brent

      Its amazing how fast time flies. Before we know it the convention is
      going to be on us. I figure its about time to start planning what we
      want to do. At least get some of the basics in place.

      First question. Music or no music? If we do go with music what
      should we use? Once I get a song in my head the pieces are going to
      start falling into place.

      Next question. Are we going to bring stuff with or are we planning to
      see what we can pick up when we arrive. I've heard rumblings that
      Hales will probably be out there and Spirit of 76 may be as well.
      Probably all the other old faithfulls as well. A little advance
      planning here and we can probably get some stuff delivered for us out
      there and save a little bit over PGI costs. Might even be able to get
      a reduction in PGI prices for stuff used in the show if we have some
      good relationships with the people running the booths. Then again, we
      could just bring stuff.

      I don't know when the small C competition is but based on my luck it
      will probably be the first night of competitions. So, pretty much the
      first full day there. I'm sure we will find out more later.

      So far I've got five people interested. Anyone else? And on that
      matter, anybody else competing in anything? I'd like to know just so
      I can cheer you on.

      Dan
    • David Bender
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
        I will be in Gillette but am the chairman for the Collectors Corner
        this year and may not be able to help a lot with set up. I will
        donate $100.00 towards the costs of product though.
        David Bender
      • Dean Weiss
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008

          I will help as well, my back is always free and will donate some $$$ as well.

                                                                                                    Dean

        • miabdia
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 3, 2008
            Warning, never hit the backspace button after you have written a long
            thought out message. Time dictates that I tone down my 2nd try.

            I vote no music. May be a treat for the judges and will ease set up
            and planning. I hear where you are coming from Dan, that if we had a
            song in mind we could build around it. My thinking is we can still
            build around a song, but just not play play it if that simplifies
            things for us.

            I would first verify if we CAN bring our product with and then move
            on to considering doing so. Either way, I would be inclined to
            purchase there. I am already bringing too much gear for camping and
            space will be an issue. Keith Meyer mentioned that he will be
            working class c sales, I assume that means Big Top. If we know who
            is coming we will know what products will be available in vending.
            Lets try to keep our purchases for this as local as possible from
            those sellers doing business in vending that we may otherwise deal
            with back home. Efire will save on the issue of trying to time fuse
            to cakes in succession.

            Before I hit backspace, I had a tally written up of about what our 14
            minute show for the group shoot might have cost us based on the
            product from the google sheet. It was about $1300 by my estimation.
            Probably safe to say that the competition shoot which will be packed
            into 1/3 of the time at 5 minutes and about 1/4 of the space could be
            as little as this. Start heavy loading the competition with $15+
            500g cakes and no cheap filler shells and we will certainly pop that
            #. What about transport of all of the guns if we do decide to do
            over 500 shells or reloadable mines again? Brent, Jon, Dean, are you
            guys gonna drag your racks all the way to Wyoming for this deal?
            Talk about a space killer!

            How about a new google spread sheet to drag out ideas, further, how
            about requesting a space on pyroclubs.com for our own forum thread?
            I like that better than this deal. I will adapt either way.
            Hans

            --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "muzzey314"
            <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

            > --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "luann_moore1313"
            > <luann_moore1313@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I will be available to help with whatever we might decide to do
            at the
            > > PGI convention.
            > >
            > > Brent
            > >

            > Its amazing how fast time flies. Before we know it the convention
            is
            > going to be on us. I figure its about time to start planning what
            we
            > want to do. At least get some of the basics in place.
            >
            > First question. Music or no music? If we do go with music what
            > should we use? Once I get a song in my head the pieces are going to
            > start falling into place.
            >
            > Next question. Are we going to bring stuff with or are we planning
            > see what we can pick up when we arrive. I've heard rumblings that
            > Hales will probably be out there and Spirit of 76 may be as well.
            > Probably all the other old faithfulls as well. A little advance
            > planning here and we can probably get some stuff delivered for us
            out
            > there and save a little bit over PGI costs. Might even be able to
            get
            > a reduction in PGI prices for stuff used in the show if we have some
            > good relationships with the people running the booths. Then again,
            we
            > could just bring stuff.
            >
            > I don't know when the small C competition is but based on my luck it
            > will probably be the first night of competitions. So, pretty much
            the
            > first full day there. I'm sure we will find out more later.
            >
            > So far I've got five people interested. Anyone else? And on that
            > matter, anybody else competing in anything? I'd like to know just
            so
            > I can cheer you on.
            >
            > Dan

          • Keith Meyer
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 3, 2008

              I’m sure I will be bringing a van with a trailer full of fireworks for Big Top to Wyoming. We may have a crack of space here or there to stuff some racks in for our show. And I will certainly work with the club to get product for our show from Big Top at cost or less. I’m sure we will have an assortment of 200 and 500 gram cakes as well as rockets at our table. I’m pretty sure we’ll have some Super Magnums as well as some other good shells.

              And if we want music, I will volunteer to put it together. I have a music editing program where it is very easy to piece together cuts from different songs. I can even put cues in the program for synching firing to music. I think timing the fireworks to the music impresses judges rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff in the air willy-nilly. Just my opinion. The only catch is whether we can patch the sound from my computer through to the sound system they use. If we have the right adapters and jacks it is simple, but we would need to know the type of input jacks the sound system has and then make sure we have the right connections.

              Music suggestions: if we have a wheel of some sort, you can use a cut from Proud Mary – “rollin’ down the river”. The Lone Ranger song has some neat climaxes at the end that work very well for timed shots. 1812 overture – think the old Quaker Oats song – works well with timed mines. The Minute Waltz has some playful starts and stops in the music that could be timed to shells with fish in them. Just some ideas….

              Keith

              <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

              > --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com,
              "luann_moore1313"
              > <luann_moore1313@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I will be available to help with whatever we might decide to do
              at the
              > > PGI convention.
              > >
              > > Brent
              > >

              > Its amazing how fast time flies. Before we know it the convention
              is
              > going to be on us. I figure its about time to start planning what
              we
              > want to do. At least get some of the basics in place.
              >
              > First question. Music or no music? If we do go with music what
              > should we use? Once I get a song in my head the pieces are going to
              > start falling into place.
              >
              > Next question. Are we going to bring stuff with or are we planning
              > see what we can pick up when we arrive. I've heard rumblings that
              > Hales will probably be out there and Spirit of 76 may be as well.
              > Probably all the other old faithfulls as well. A little advance
              > planning here and we can probably get some stuff delivered for us
              out
              > there and save a little bit over PGI costs. Might even be able to
              get
              > a reduction in PGI prices for stuff used in the show if we have some
              > good relationships with the people running the booths. Then again,
              we
              > could just bring stuff.
              >
              > I don't know when the small C competition is but based on my luck it
              > will probably be the first night of competitions. So, pretty much
              the
              > first full day there. I'm sure we will find out more later.
              >
              > So far I've got five people interested. Anyone else? And on that
              > matter, anybody else competing in anything? I'd like to know just
              so
              > I can cheer you on.
              >
              > Dan

            • miabdia
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 3, 2008
                Black Eyed Peas Pump it is 3:35. Has highs, lows, build up, familiar
                melody (Dick Dale I believe).

                Ladies and Gentlemen by Saliva is 3:37, has good pyro elements and the
                title and chorus are descript. "ladies and gentlemen good
                evening....... welcome to the show, please come inside"

                I would love to see Battle without Honor or integrity by Tomoyasu
                Hotei used in a pyro show but is only 2:30.

                I only suggest these because they would require NO editing for our
                purposes and I think they would be great in a show.

                Hans

                --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, Keith Meyer
                <Keith.Meyer@...> wrote:

                > I'm sure I will be bringing a van with a trailer full of fireworks
                for Big Top to Wyoming. We may have a crack of space here or there to
                stuff some racks in for our show. And I will certainly work with the
                club to get product for our show from Big Top at cost or less. I'm
                sure we will have an assortment of 200 and 500 gram cakes as well as
                rockets at our table. I'm pretty sure we'll have some Super Magnums as
                well as some other good shells.

                > And if we want music, I will volunteer to put it together. I have a
                music editing program where it is very easy to piece together cuts
                from different songs. I can even put cues in the program for synching
                firing to music. I think timing the fireworks to the music impresses
                judges rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff in the air
                willy-nilly. Just my opinion. The only catch is whether we can patch
                the sound from my computer through to the sound system they use. If we
                have the right adapters and jacks it is simple, but we would need to
                know the type of input jacks the sound system has and then make sure
                we have the right connections.

                > Music suggestions: if we have a wheel of some sort, you can use a
                cut from Proud Mary - "rollin' down the river". The Lone Ranger song
                has some neat climaxes at the end that work very well for timed shots.
                1812 overture - think the old Quaker Oats song - works well with timed
                mines. The Minute Waltz has some playful starts and stops in the music
                that could be timed to shells with fish in them. Just some ideas....

                > Keith

                PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:PrairieThunderPyrotechnics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                "muzzey314"

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                • Keith Meyer
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008

                    Big Band era – In the Mood. It starts with some good swing rhythm, then has a middle part that gets softer, and softer, and then jumps back up to full band volume for the big finish. I’m sure we could play off the volume changes and the beat of the music to coordinate our shooting to the music.

                    Keith

                    How about something completely different?  Maybe some Jazz or Big Band?  I don’t have much knowledge of Jazz but it may be a refreshing change.  Can anybody recommend something?

                    <Keith.Meyer@...> wrote:

                    > I'm sure I will be bringing a van with a trailer full of fireworks
                    for Big Top to Wyoming. We may have a crack of space here or there to
                    stuff some racks in for our show. And I will certainly work with the
                    club to get product for our show from Big Top at cost or less. I'm
                    sure we will have an assortment of 200 and 500 gram cakes as well as
                    rockets at our table. I'm pretty sure we'll have some Super Magnums as
                    well as some other good shells.

                    > And if we want music, I will volunteer to put it together. I have a
                    music editing program where it is very easy to piece together cuts
                    from different songs. I can even put cues in the program for synching
                    firing to music. I think timing the fireworks to the music impresses
                    judges rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff in the air
                    willy-nilly. Just my opinion. The only catch is whether we can patch
                    the sound from my computer through to the sound system they use. If we
                    have the right adapters and jacks it is simple, but we would need to
                    know the type of input jacks the sound system has and then make sure
                    we have the right connections.

                    > Music suggestions: if we have a wheel of some sort, you can use a
                    cut from Proud Mary - "rollin' down the river". The Lone Ranger song
                    has some neat climaxes at the end that work very well for timed shots.
                    1812 overture - think the old Quaker Oats song - works well with timed
                    mines. The Minute Waltz has some playful starts and stops in the music
                    that could be timed to shells with fish in them. Just some ideas....

                    > Keith

                  • miabdia
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                      Big Bad Voodoo Daddy has some great modern swing stuff vocals.
                      Mr. Pinstrip Suit- 3:38

                      Mambo Swing is a better song but a big chunk would have to be cut
                      somehow since it is a tad over 5 min long.

                      Links to both on youtube
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pst9G9p8ZnY
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmpmjsq8Z70

                      --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Muzzey"

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                      • miabdia
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 9, 2008
                          The FM symphony along with several of the area Choral groups did the
                          entire production of Carmina Borana this past season. If we use this
                          piece, we should get the recording of this performance to add yet
                          another local element. FYI-it was impressive in person.

                          Hans

                          <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

                          > One more suggestion....
                          >
                          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Fortuna
                          >
                          > O Fortuna from Carmina Burana. This one may be a little over our
                          heads
                          > or it may have been done before. Its pretty recognizable. There
                          is a
                          > short clip of it on the wiki site.
                          >
                          > Dan
                          >
                          > ________________________________

                          Muzzey"

                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 9, 2008
                          • miabdia
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 16, 2008

                              I finally got around to reviewing the competition rules.  I am thinking that our vision and planning may be better suited to large class c.

                              Competition 4-B: Best Large Class C Display

                              The competitor's entry must be in no more than three areas, with a combined perimeter of no more than 100 feet. Boundary tape will be issued to the competitor to mark the entry. Structures for mounting devices may not exceed 12 feet in height. Grand Master Point Code "D"

                              packing all of our planning into a 5x15 as required by the small class c would not do justice to the crossing comet and mine run ideas that we have so far.  If we choose the large category we can  space things out across 75-150 feet in 3 separate areas of 4'x11' or any other format that keeps us under the 100' perimiter limitation.  We could also do 2 larger areas of maybe 10'x15' spread apart.

                              I ordered 350 quick fire lc clips from Jeff at electricmatch.com.  I will try these out when they arrive for ematch to visco connection and ematch to lift charge on the mines and shells where timing will be key.  Obviously going to the next level opens the door to getting our butts handed to us by others who have been doing it for years.  I am just having touble envisioning a show packed into the space requirments of the small category.

                              For those of you who have not committed to membership in PTPG or participation in this competition, it is time to jump in.

                              Email me or Pat for membership info, email Dan for a link to the google planning page for the competition.

                              Hans

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 17, 2008
                              • miabdia
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 17, 2008
                                  I am not overconfident or convinced that we could reasonably compete
                                  in the large category either. Like I said, how are we going to pack
                                  all of our brilliance into an area the size of the footprint of a
                                  1979 Honda Civic? 3 wireless slats, ?6? sequencers, lumber for legs
                                  and bracing on raised display items will cut our available ground
                                  space down even more. What this equates to is essentially two 4x8
                                  sheets of plywood. Looking back at my pictures from our group shoot,
                                  I am guessing that our center section took up at least a 20x20 area.
                                  The side sections were smaller but not much. Yes we were pressed for
                                  time and were not packed in as tight as we could have been. 650
                                  racked shells does not help the cause either.

                                  I started the registration process for our club on the pgi site the
                                  other day and saved my work until we decided on which division we
                                  were going to enter. Going by what the online system says, "You may
                                  modify your entries at any time before August 8, 2008". This works
                                  in our favor. Lets see how the product list comes together from on
                                  site vendors and stuff that we intend to bring along, and also see
                                  how the spreadsheet fills out.

                                  I have just adjusted my inventory sheet to reflect what I will use on
                                  my 2 shoots over the 4th. I will have over 110-200g cakes left after
                                  that. These represent a bit of mish mash of 4-7 of each left in
                                  cases that started as cases of 8-12. At this time I can comfortably
                                  commit to being able to provide 3-6 of each of 14 different kinds of
                                  200g cakes for a total of 36-40. I will get them updated to the
                                  google sheet in the next couple of days so everybody can see what I
                                  have available and we can adjust up or down to taste. With our time
                                  concerns of 4-5 minutes, i would imagine that any 200g cake we use
                                  would be fired in simultaneous multiples as a lower level to somthing
                                  bigger above or smaller below. For instance, 6 Buck Fever
                                  quickmatched together shooting straight up with some tailed shells
                                  crossing each other or otherwise shooting out from the display at an
                                  angle.

                                  That is all for now.
                                  Hans

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 17, 2008
                                  • Andy Holcomb
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 19, 2008
                                      The following message was posted on the Passfire (www.passsfire.com) forum
                                      this morning by Ned Gorski. I think we should explore this option.

                                      Passfirers,
                                      We all know that club and show insurance has been pretty much provided by a
                                      monopoly, and the costs have been non-negotiable.
                                      Recently some info came from a Bluegrass member that there was a new
                                      insurance alternative, and another member, David, followed up on it.
                                      It has saved him a lot of $, and it looks quite possible that it will save
                                      Bluegrass 3-4K on insurance next when our policy is up for renewal at the
                                      end of the year.
                                      I thought this info might be interesting to some of y'all.
                                      ned

                                      Ned:

                                      Ryder-Roasacker-McCue & Huston has been providing pyrotechnics insurance to
                                      some of the larger players for a number of years, but have, until recently,
                                      been cost-prohibitive for clubs and smaller operators. They have revised
                                      their business structure this year to provide an alternative to clubs and
                                      those of us on the smaller side. Their underwriter is based here in the
                                      States, so the quote and binding process is smoother and quicker than I have
                                      experienced in the past. I've been doing business with them for a little
                                      over a month now, and they strike me as extremely professional and
                                      dedicated. They are very responsive to emailed questions and concerns, and
                                      seem to be more honest and straightforward than I am accustomed to an
                                      insurer of any flavor being.

                                      I was able to obtain $2 million in coverage (double my previous coverage)
                                      for almost $4,000 cheaper than my premium last year. They are able to
                                      receive, process, and return Certificate of Insurance requests via email and
                                      within 24 hours, and their staff has been a joy to work with. They also
                                      offer financing.

                                      Tami Towne, CIC
                                      Ryder-Rosacker-McCue & Huston
                                      509 W Koenig St PO Box 1228
                                      Grand Island NE 68802
                                      Phone: 308-382-2330
                                      Fax: 308-382-7109

                                      Hope that's what you're looking for! So far, I'm quite pleased to have found
                                      an alternative, and am very satisfied with their level of service and
                                      efficiency of operation.

                                      Best,
                                      David
                                    • miabdia
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 19, 2008
                                        Thanks Andy. LuAnn offered this same solution to the board back in
                                        April. We breathed a sigh of relief to know that our original
                                        estimates of insurance were going to come down a bunch based on the
                                        #'s that Ryder was offering. The fact remains that we will still be
                                        looking at about $4500-5k to properly insure our club for a year. We
                                        need a huge boost in memberships to do this. We currently have about
                                        1k in the bank and hopefully after this fireworks season in over we
                                        will have a whole bunch of potential members knocking at our door who
                                        want to get in the game.

                                        I am awaiting approval from a majority of the board to go ahead and
                                        start spreading out the promo flyer which can be found in the files
                                        section of this group. Once we get the go ahead, my dream is that
                                        everybody who walks up to the counter to pay for their wares at any
                                        fireworks stand in the area will leave the store with a flyer or at
                                        least the web address.
                                        Hans

                                        --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Holcomb"
                                        <andrew_holcomb@...> wrote:

                                        > The following message was posted on the Passfire
                                        (www.passsfire.com) forum
                                        > this morning by Ned Gorski. I think we should explore this option.
                                        >

                                        > Passfirers,
                                        > We all know that club and show insurance has been pretty much
                                        provided by a
                                        > monopoly, and the costs have been non-negotiable.
                                        > Recently some info came from a Bluegrass member that there was a new
                                        > insurance alternative, and another member, David, followed up on it.
                                        > It has saved him a lot of $, and it looks quite possible that it
                                        will save
                                        > Bluegrass 3-4K on insurance next when our policy is up for renewal
                                        at the
                                        > end of the year.
                                        > I thought this info might be interesting to some of y'all.
                                        > ned
                                        >

                                        > Ned:
                                        >
                                        > Ryder-Roasacker-McCue & Huston has been providing pyrotechnics
                                        insurance to
                                        > some of the larger players for a number of years, but have, until
                                        recently,
                                        > been cost-prohibitive for clubs and smaller operators. They have
                                        revised
                                        > their business structure this year to provide an alternative to
                                        clubs and
                                        > those of us on the smaller side. Their underwriter is based here in
                                        the
                                        > States, so the quote and binding process is smoother and quicker
                                        than I have
                                        > experienced in the past. I've been doing business with them for a
                                        little
                                        > over a month now, and they strike me as extremely professional and
                                        > dedicated. They are very responsive to emailed questions and
                                        concerns, and
                                        > seem to be more honest and straightforward than I am accustomed to
                                        an
                                        > insurer of any flavor being.
                                        >
                                        > I was able to obtain $2 million in coverage (double my previous
                                        coverage)
                                        > for almost $4,000 cheaper than my premium last year. They are able
                                        > receive, process, and return Certificate of Insurance requests via
                                        email and
                                        > within 24 hours, and their staff has been a joy to work with. They
                                        also
                                        > offer financing.
                                        >
                                        > Tami Towne, CIC
                                        > Ryder-Rosacker-McCue & Huston
                                        > 509 W Koenig St PO Box 1228
                                        > Grand Island NE 68802
                                        > Phone: 308-382-2330
                                        > Fax: 308-382-7109
                                        >
                                        > Hope that's what you're looking for! So far, I'm quite pleased to
                                        have found
                                        > an alternative, and am very satisfied with their level of service
                                        and
                                        > efficiency of operation.
                                        >
                                        > Best,
                                        > David

                                      • Andy Holcomb
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 21, 2008
                                          Wonderful! The flyer looks good. I'll distribute copies to the local stands
                                          here too, with a slight modification to add "and surrounding area" (if
                                          that's ok) if you get the go-ahead for distribution.

                                          Would it be possible to get an original electronic copy of the bylaws out on
                                          our website? I visited the other day and it appears that the PDF is a scan
                                          of the paper copy, so isn't the best quality to read. If you email me a
                                          word file, I've got a licensed copy of Acrobat and can sharpen up the text
                                          as well as make it searchable.

                                          Andy