Re: PGI Competition

  • luann_moore1313
    Message 1 of 27 , May 28, 2008
      I will be available to help with whatever we might decide to do at the
      PGI convention.

      Brent
    • muzzey314
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 1, 2008
        --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "luann_moore1313"
        <luann_moore1313@...> wrote:

        > I will be available to help with whatever we might decide to do at the
        > PGI convention.
        >
        > Brent

        Its amazing how fast time flies. Before we know it the convention is
        going to be on us. I figure its about time to start planning what we
        want to do. At least get some of the basics in place.

        First question. Music or no music? If we do go with music what
        should we use? Once I get a song in my head the pieces are going to
        start falling into place.

        Next question. Are we going to bring stuff with or are we planning to
        see what we can pick up when we arrive. I've heard rumblings that
        Hales will probably be out there and Spirit of 76 may be as well.
        Probably all the other old faithfulls as well. A little advance
        planning here and we can probably get some stuff delivered for us out
        there and save a little bit over PGI costs. Might even be able to get
        a reduction in PGI prices for stuff used in the show if we have some
        good relationships with the people running the booths. Then again, we
        could just bring stuff.

        I don't know when the small C competition is but based on my luck it
        will probably be the first night of competitions. So, pretty much the
        first full day there. I'm sure we will find out more later.

        So far I've got five people interested. Anyone else? And on that
        matter, anybody else competing in anything? I'd like to know just so
        I can cheer you on.

        Dan
      • David Bender
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008
          I will be in Gillette but am the chairman for the Collectors Corner
          this year and may not be able to help a lot with set up. I will
          donate $100.00 towards the costs of product though.
          David Bender
        • Dean Weiss
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 2, 2008

            I will help as well, my back is always free and will donate some $$$ as well.

                                                                                                      Dean

          • miabdia
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 3, 2008
              Warning, never hit the backspace button after you have written a long
              thought out message. Time dictates that I tone down my 2nd try.

              I vote no music. May be a treat for the judges and will ease set up
              and planning. I hear where you are coming from Dan, that if we had a
              song in mind we could build around it. My thinking is we can still
              build around a song, but just not play play it if that simplifies
              things for us.

              I would first verify if we CAN bring our product with and then move
              on to considering doing so. Either way, I would be inclined to
              purchase there. I am already bringing too much gear for camping and
              space will be an issue. Keith Meyer mentioned that he will be
              working class c sales, I assume that means Big Top. If we know who
              is coming we will know what products will be available in vending.
              Lets try to keep our purchases for this as local as possible from
              those sellers doing business in vending that we may otherwise deal
              with back home. Efire will save on the issue of trying to time fuse
              to cakes in succession.

              Before I hit backspace, I had a tally written up of about what our 14
              minute show for the group shoot might have cost us based on the
              product from the google sheet. It was about $1300 by my estimation.
              Probably safe to say that the competition shoot which will be packed
              into 1/3 of the time at 5 minutes and about 1/4 of the space could be
              as little as this. Start heavy loading the competition with $15+
              500g cakes and no cheap filler shells and we will certainly pop that
              #. What about transport of all of the guns if we do decide to do
              over 500 shells or reloadable mines again? Brent, Jon, Dean, are you
              guys gonna drag your racks all the way to Wyoming for this deal?
              Talk about a space killer!

              How about a new google spread sheet to drag out ideas, further, how
              about requesting a space on pyroclubs.com for our own forum thread?
              I like that better than this deal. I will adapt either way.
              Hans

              --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "muzzey314"
              <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

              > --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "luann_moore1313"
              > <luann_moore1313@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I will be available to help with whatever we might decide to do
              at the
              > > PGI convention.
              > >
              > > Brent
              > >

              > Its amazing how fast time flies. Before we know it the convention
              is
              > going to be on us. I figure its about time to start planning what
              we
              > want to do. At least get some of the basics in place.
              >
              > First question. Music or no music? If we do go with music what
              > should we use? Once I get a song in my head the pieces are going to
              > start falling into place.
              >
              > Next question. Are we going to bring stuff with or are we planning
              > see what we can pick up when we arrive. I've heard rumblings that
              > Hales will probably be out there and Spirit of 76 may be as well.
              > Probably all the other old faithfulls as well. A little advance
              > planning here and we can probably get some stuff delivered for us
              out
              > there and save a little bit over PGI costs. Might even be able to
              get
              > a reduction in PGI prices for stuff used in the show if we have some
              > good relationships with the people running the booths. Then again,
              we
              > could just bring stuff.
              >
              > I don't know when the small C competition is but based on my luck it
              > will probably be the first night of competitions. So, pretty much
              the
              > first full day there. I'm sure we will find out more later.
              >
              > So far I've got five people interested. Anyone else? And on that
              > matter, anybody else competing in anything? I'd like to know just
              so
              > I can cheer you on.
              >
              > Dan

            • Keith Meyer
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 3, 2008

                I’m sure I will be bringing a van with a trailer full of fireworks for Big Top to Wyoming. We may have a crack of space here or there to stuff some racks in for our show. And I will certainly work with the club to get product for our show from Big Top at cost or less. I’m sure we will have an assortment of 200 and 500 gram cakes as well as rockets at our table. I’m pretty sure we’ll have some Super Magnums as well as some other good shells.

                And if we want music, I will volunteer to put it together. I have a music editing program where it is very easy to piece together cuts from different songs. I can even put cues in the program for synching firing to music. I think timing the fireworks to the music impresses judges rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff in the air willy-nilly. Just my opinion. The only catch is whether we can patch the sound from my computer through to the sound system they use. If we have the right adapters and jacks it is simple, but we would need to know the type of input jacks the sound system has and then make sure we have the right connections.

                Music suggestions: if we have a wheel of some sort, you can use a cut from Proud Mary – “rollin’ down the river”. The Lone Ranger song has some neat climaxes at the end that work very well for timed shots. 1812 overture – think the old Quaker Oats song – works well with timed mines. The Minute Waltz has some playful starts and stops in the music that could be timed to shells with fish in them. Just some ideas….

                Keith

                <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

                > --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com,
                "luann_moore1313"
                > <luann_moore1313@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I will be available to help with whatever we might decide to do
                at the
                > > PGI convention.
                > >
                > > Brent
                > >

                > Its amazing how fast time flies. Before we know it the convention
                is
                > going to be on us. I figure its about time to start planning what
                we
                > want to do. At least get some of the basics in place.
                >
                > First question. Music or no music? If we do go with music what
                > should we use? Once I get a song in my head the pieces are going to
                > start falling into place.
                >
                > Next question. Are we going to bring stuff with or are we planning
                > see what we can pick up when we arrive. I've heard rumblings that
                > Hales will probably be out there and Spirit of 76 may be as well.
                > Probably all the other old faithfulls as well. A little advance
                > planning here and we can probably get some stuff delivered for us
                out
                > there and save a little bit over PGI costs. Might even be able to
                get
                > a reduction in PGI prices for stuff used in the show if we have some
                > good relationships with the people running the booths. Then again,
                we
                > could just bring stuff.
                >
                > I don't know when the small C competition is but based on my luck it
                > will probably be the first night of competitions. So, pretty much
                the
                > first full day there. I'm sure we will find out more later.
                >
                > So far I've got five people interested. Anyone else? And on that
                > matter, anybody else competing in anything? I'd like to know just
                so
                > I can cheer you on.
                >
                > Dan

              • miabdia
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 3, 2008
                  Black Eyed Peas Pump it is 3:35. Has highs, lows, build up, familiar
                  melody (Dick Dale I believe).

                  Ladies and Gentlemen by Saliva is 3:37, has good pyro elements and the
                  title and chorus are descript. "ladies and gentlemen good
                  evening....... welcome to the show, please come inside"

                  I would love to see Battle without Honor or integrity by Tomoyasu
                  Hotei used in a pyro show but is only 2:30.

                  I only suggest these because they would require NO editing for our
                  purposes and I think they would be great in a show.

                  Hans

                  --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, Keith Meyer
                  <Keith.Meyer@...> wrote:

                  > I'm sure I will be bringing a van with a trailer full of fireworks
                  for Big Top to Wyoming. We may have a crack of space here or there to
                  stuff some racks in for our show. And I will certainly work with the
                  club to get product for our show from Big Top at cost or less. I'm
                  sure we will have an assortment of 200 and 500 gram cakes as well as
                  rockets at our table. I'm pretty sure we'll have some Super Magnums as
                  well as some other good shells.

                  > And if we want music, I will volunteer to put it together. I have a
                  music editing program where it is very easy to piece together cuts
                  from different songs. I can even put cues in the program for synching
                  firing to music. I think timing the fireworks to the music impresses
                  judges rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff in the air
                  willy-nilly. Just my opinion. The only catch is whether we can patch
                  the sound from my computer through to the sound system they use. If we
                  have the right adapters and jacks it is simple, but we would need to
                  know the type of input jacks the sound system has and then make sure
                  we have the right connections.

                  > Music suggestions: if we have a wheel of some sort, you can use a
                  cut from Proud Mary - "rollin' down the river". The Lone Ranger song
                  has some neat climaxes at the end that work very well for timed shots.
                  1812 overture - think the old Quaker Oats song - works well with timed
                  mines. The Minute Waltz has some playful starts and stops in the music
                  that could be timed to shells with fish in them. Just some ideas....

                  > Keith

                  PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com<mailto:PrairieThunderPyrotechnics%40yahoogroups.com>,
                  "muzzey314"

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                  • Keith Meyer
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008

                      Big Band era – In the Mood. It starts with some good swing rhythm, then has a middle part that gets softer, and softer, and then jumps back up to full band volume for the big finish. I’m sure we could play off the volume changes and the beat of the music to coordinate our shooting to the music.

                      Keith

                      How about something completely different?  Maybe some Jazz or Big Band?  I don’t have much knowledge of Jazz but it may be a refreshing change.  Can anybody recommend something?

                      <Keith.Meyer@...> wrote:

                      > I'm sure I will be bringing a van with a trailer full of fireworks
                      for Big Top to Wyoming. We may have a crack of space here or there to
                      stuff some racks in for our show. And I will certainly work with the
                      club to get product for our show from Big Top at cost or less. I'm
                      sure we will have an assortment of 200 and 500 gram cakes as well as
                      rockets at our table. I'm pretty sure we'll have some Super Magnums as
                      well as some other good shells.

                      > And if we want music, I will volunteer to put it together. I have a
                      music editing program where it is very easy to piece together cuts
                      from different songs. I can even put cues in the program for synching
                      firing to music. I think timing the fireworks to the music impresses
                      judges rather than just throwing a bunch of stuff in the air
                      willy-nilly. Just my opinion. The only catch is whether we can patch
                      the sound from my computer through to the sound system they use. If we
                      have the right adapters and jacks it is simple, but we would need to
                      know the type of input jacks the sound system has and then make sure
                      we have the right connections.

                      > Music suggestions: if we have a wheel of some sort, you can use a
                      cut from Proud Mary - "rollin' down the river". The Lone Ranger song
                      has some neat climaxes at the end that work very well for timed shots.
                      1812 overture - think the old Quaker Oats song - works well with timed
                      mines. The Minute Waltz has some playful starts and stops in the music
                      that could be timed to shells with fish in them. Just some ideas....

                      > Keith

                    • miabdia
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                        Big Bad Voodoo Daddy has some great modern swing stuff vocals.
                        Mr. Pinstrip Suit- 3:38

                        Mambo Swing is a better song but a big chunk would have to be cut
                        somehow since it is a tad over 5 min long.

                        Links to both on youtube
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pst9G9p8ZnY
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmpmjsq8Z70

                        --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Muzzey"

                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 5, 2008
                        • miabdia
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jun 9, 2008
                            The FM symphony along with several of the area Choral groups did the
                            entire production of Carmina Borana this past season. If we use this
                            piece, we should get the recording of this performance to add yet
                            another local element. FYI-it was impressive in person.

                            Hans

                            <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

                            > One more suggestion....
                            >
                            > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_Fortuna
                            >
                            > O Fortuna from Carmina Burana. This one may be a little over our
                            heads
                            > or it may have been done before. Its pretty recognizable. There
                            is a
                            > short clip of it on the wiki site.
                            >
                            > Dan
                            >
                            > ________________________________

                            Muzzey"

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 9, 2008
                            • miabdia
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jun 16, 2008

                                I finally got around to reviewing the competition rules.  I am thinking that our vision and planning may be better suited to large class c.

                                Competition 4-B: Best Large Class C Display

                                The competitor's entry must be in no more than three areas, with a combined perimeter of no more than 100 feet. Boundary tape will be issued to the competitor to mark the entry. Structures for mounting devices may not exceed 12 feet in height. Grand Master Point Code "D"

                                packing all of our planning into a 5x15 as required by the small class c would not do justice to the crossing comet and mine run ideas that we have so far.  If we choose the large category we can  space things out across 75-150 feet in 3 separate areas of 4'x11' or any other format that keeps us under the 100' perimiter limitation.  We could also do 2 larger areas of maybe 10'x15' spread apart.

                                I ordered 350 quick fire lc clips from Jeff at electricmatch.com.  I will try these out when they arrive for ematch to visco connection and ematch to lift charge on the mines and shells where timing will be key.  Obviously going to the next level opens the door to getting our butts handed to us by others who have been doing it for years.  I am just having touble envisioning a show packed into the space requirments of the small category.

                                For those of you who have not committed to membership in PTPG or participation in this competition, it is time to jump in.

                                Email me or Pat for membership info, email Dan for a link to the google planning page for the competition.

                                Hans

                                Message 15 of 27 , Jun 17, 2008
                                • miabdia
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jun 17, 2008
                                    I am not overconfident or convinced that we could reasonably compete
                                    in the large category either. Like I said, how are we going to pack
                                    all of our brilliance into an area the size of the footprint of a
                                    1979 Honda Civic? 3 wireless slats, ?6? sequencers, lumber for legs
                                    and bracing on raised display items will cut our available ground
                                    space down even more. What this equates to is essentially two 4x8
                                    sheets of plywood. Looking back at my pictures from our group shoot,
                                    I am guessing that our center section took up at least a 20x20 area.
                                    The side sections were smaller but not much. Yes we were pressed for
                                    time and were not packed in as tight as we could have been. 650
                                    racked shells does not help the cause either.

                                    I started the registration process for our club on the pgi site the
                                    other day and saved my work until we decided on which division we
                                    were going to enter. Going by what the online system says, "You may
                                    modify your entries at any time before August 8, 2008". This works
                                    in our favor. Lets see how the product list comes together from on
                                    site vendors and stuff that we intend to bring along, and also see
                                    how the spreadsheet fills out.

                                    I have just adjusted my inventory sheet to reflect what I will use on
                                    my 2 shoots over the 4th. I will have over 110-200g cakes left after
                                    that. These represent a bit of mish mash of 4-7 of each left in
                                    cases that started as cases of 8-12. At this time I can comfortably
                                    commit to being able to provide 3-6 of each of 14 different kinds of
                                    200g cakes for a total of 36-40. I will get them updated to the
                                    google sheet in the next couple of days so everybody can see what I
                                    have available and we can adjust up or down to taste. With our time
                                    concerns of 4-5 minutes, i would imagine that any 200g cake we use
                                    would be fired in simultaneous multiples as a lower level to somthing
                                    bigger above or smaller below. For instance, 6 Buck Fever
                                    quickmatched together shooting straight up with some tailed shells
                                    crossing each other or otherwise shooting out from the display at an
                                    angle.

                                    That is all for now.
                                    Hans

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jun 17, 2008
                                    • Andy Holcomb
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jun 19, 2008
                                        The following message was posted on the Passfire (www.passsfire.com) forum
                                        this morning by Ned Gorski. I think we should explore this option.

                                        Passfirers,
                                        We all know that club and show insurance has been pretty much provided by a
                                        monopoly, and the costs have been non-negotiable.
                                        Recently some info came from a Bluegrass member that there was a new
                                        insurance alternative, and another member, David, followed up on it.
                                        It has saved him a lot of $, and it looks quite possible that it will save
                                        Bluegrass 3-4K on insurance next when our policy is up for renewal at the
                                        end of the year.
                                        I thought this info might be interesting to some of y'all.
                                        ned

                                        Ned:

                                        Ryder-Roasacker-McCue & Huston has been providing pyrotechnics insurance to
                                        some of the larger players for a number of years, but have, until recently,
                                        been cost-prohibitive for clubs and smaller operators. They have revised
                                        their business structure this year to provide an alternative to clubs and
                                        those of us on the smaller side. Their underwriter is based here in the
                                        States, so the quote and binding process is smoother and quicker than I have
                                        experienced in the past. I've been doing business with them for a little
                                        over a month now, and they strike me as extremely professional and
                                        dedicated. They are very responsive to emailed questions and concerns, and
                                        seem to be more honest and straightforward than I am accustomed to an
                                        insurer of any flavor being.

                                        I was able to obtain $2 million in coverage (double my previous coverage)
                                        for almost $4,000 cheaper than my premium last year. They are able to
                                        receive, process, and return Certificate of Insurance requests via email and
                                        within 24 hours, and their staff has been a joy to work with. They also
                                        offer financing.

                                        Tami Towne, CIC
                                        Ryder-Rosacker-McCue & Huston
                                        509 W Koenig St PO Box 1228
                                        Grand Island NE 68802
                                        Phone: 308-382-2330
                                        Fax: 308-382-7109

                                        Hope that's what you're looking for! So far, I'm quite pleased to have found
                                        an alternative, and am very satisfied with their level of service and
                                        efficiency of operation.

                                        Best,
                                        David
                                      • miabdia
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jun 19, 2008
                                          Thanks Andy. LuAnn offered this same solution to the board back in
                                          April. We breathed a sigh of relief to know that our original
                                          estimates of insurance were going to come down a bunch based on the
                                          #'s that Ryder was offering. The fact remains that we will still be
                                          looking at about $4500-5k to properly insure our club for a year. We
                                          need a huge boost in memberships to do this. We currently have about
                                          1k in the bank and hopefully after this fireworks season in over we
                                          will have a whole bunch of potential members knocking at our door who
                                          want to get in the game.

                                          I am awaiting approval from a majority of the board to go ahead and
                                          start spreading out the promo flyer which can be found in the files
                                          section of this group. Once we get the go ahead, my dream is that
                                          everybody who walks up to the counter to pay for their wares at any
                                          fireworks stand in the area will leave the store with a flyer or at
                                          least the web address.
                                          Hans

                                          --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Holcomb"
                                          <andrew_holcomb@...> wrote:

                                          > The following message was posted on the Passfire
                                          (www.passsfire.com) forum
                                          > this morning by Ned Gorski. I think we should explore this option.
                                          >

                                          > Passfirers,
                                          > We all know that club and show insurance has been pretty much
                                          provided by a
                                          > monopoly, and the costs have been non-negotiable.
                                          > Recently some info came from a Bluegrass member that there was a new
                                          > insurance alternative, and another member, David, followed up on it.
                                          > It has saved him a lot of $, and it looks quite possible that it
                                          will save
                                          > Bluegrass 3-4K on insurance next when our policy is up for renewal
                                          at the
                                          > end of the year.
                                          > I thought this info might be interesting to some of y'all.
                                          > ned
                                          >

                                          > Ned:
                                          >
                                          > Ryder-Roasacker-McCue & Huston has been providing pyrotechnics
                                          insurance to
                                          > some of the larger players for a number of years, but have, until
                                          recently,
                                          > been cost-prohibitive for clubs and smaller operators. They have
                                          revised
                                          > their business structure this year to provide an alternative to
                                          clubs and
                                          > those of us on the smaller side. Their underwriter is based here in
                                          the
                                          > States, so the quote and binding process is smoother and quicker
                                          than I have
                                          > experienced in the past. I've been doing business with them for a
                                          little
                                          > over a month now, and they strike me as extremely professional and
                                          > dedicated. They are very responsive to emailed questions and
                                          concerns, and
                                          > seem to be more honest and straightforward than I am accustomed to
                                          an
                                          > insurer of any flavor being.
                                          >
                                          > I was able to obtain $2 million in coverage (double my previous
                                          coverage)
                                          > for almost $4,000 cheaper than my premium last year. They are able
                                          > receive, process, and return Certificate of Insurance requests via
                                          email and
                                          > within 24 hours, and their staff has been a joy to work with. They
                                          also
                                          > offer financing.
                                          >
                                          > Tami Towne, CIC
                                          > Ryder-Rosacker-McCue & Huston
                                          > 509 W Koenig St PO Box 1228
                                          > Grand Island NE 68802
                                          > Phone: 308-382-2330
                                          > Fax: 308-382-7109
                                          >
                                          > Hope that's what you're looking for! So far, I'm quite pleased to
                                          have found
                                          > an alternative, and am very satisfied with their level of service
                                          and
                                          > efficiency of operation.
                                          >
                                          > Best,
                                          > David

                                        • Andy Holcomb
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jun 21, 2008
                                            Wonderful! The flyer looks good. I'll distribute copies to the local stands
                                            here too, with a slight modification to add "and surrounding area" (if
                                            that's ok) if you get the go-ahead for distribution.

                                            Would it be possible to get an original electronic copy of the bylaws out on
                                            our website? I visited the other day and it appears that the PDF is a scan
                                            of the paper copy, so isn't the best quality to read. If you email me a
                                            word file, I've got a licensed copy of Acrobat and can sharpen up the text
                                            as well as make it searchable.

                                            Andy