Re: [PrairieThunderPyrotechnics] Re: Whistle Help

  • jrsrocket@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 22, 2012
      Read the label.
      If you get lacquer thinner made of MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) it's polar enough to keep vaseline and/or mineral oil in a ?solution? emulsion? mixture? to make homogenous whistle mix
      John Steinberg

      In a message dated 4/21/2012 6:04:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, andrew_holcomb@... writes:
      Dean,

      Any luck?  I just checked Sherwin-Williams site, and it appears that lacquer thinner is made up of non-polar solvents (acetone, toluene, ethyl acetate, etc.) so as to dissolve things like plastics or resins coatings which are also made of non-polar molecules.

      Vaseline and mineral oil are both polar molecules, so they won't dissolve in lacquer thinner.  However, I think the way that Steve makes it work for him, is that he uses melted vaseline. Because vaseline is a solid at room temperature, it will re-solidify as little tiny pieces/flakes when added and stirred into lacquer thinner. Mineral oil will just mix in as oily drops (like salad dressing), and then recombine into a puddle. This would create an area of whistle fuel that is heavily saturated with oil, and by further mixing you'd have little pockets of heavily oiled comp mixed throughout...creating the farts. ;-)

      You could try re-wetting what's left of your mix with enough Coleman fuel to make it soupy, mixing it well in a bag, then opening the bag for a period of time to allow enough of the excess Coleman fuel to evaporate so that it's workable for granulation.

      Andy

      --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "Andy Holcomb" <andrew_holcomb@...> wrote:

      > Hmmm... When I used mineral oil, I used Colman Fuel as the solvent, but I
      > know "rocket man" Steve Laduke uses lacquer thinner too. Although, a fellow
      > on Passfire, who works in the paint/ink/films industry, once said that
      > "lacquer thinner is an arbitrary mixture of whatever happens to condense out
      > of the crude oil feedstock at a certain temperature range". So, you may have
      > weird hydrocarbons in there that are interfering with the way the mineral
      > oil dissolves. You should try an experiment, and put some lacquer thinner
      > and mineral oil in a glass container, and see if it separates if you leave
      > it for a bit. Also, does your fuel still have a slight lacquer thinner
      > smell? Maybe it's not fully evaporated?
      >
      > Andy

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional