Re: PTPG outlook and history

  • Dean Weiss
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 22, 2011

      Group,

      I will not be able to attend the Sept. 10th shoot (first one), but Kathy and I are willing to open our home for a pyro gathering late September. The exact date is unclear yet. Any Prairie Thunder member is welcome. My plans are to make charcoal (bon fire), make some rockets, talk pyro, fire up the grill, and talk some more pyro, have some food, or open to other ideas. Space is tight here but I still have tolerant neighbors. New members-glad the have you on board, we need you and I would like to meet everyone. I would like to keep going on, but this is tough for a C student.Let me here some chatter.

      Dean

      .

    • Matt Langlie
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 22, 2011

        I like the idea as we have been talking about it.  At least we need to start meeting even if we don’t always have a shoot.

        Matt

        I will not be able to attend the Sept. 10th shoot (first one), but Kathy and I are willing to open our home for a pyro gathering late September. The exact date is unclear yet. Any Prairie Thunder member is welcome. My plans are to make charcoal (bon fire), make some rockets, talk pyro, fire up the grill, and talk some more pyro, have some food, or open to other ideas. Space is tight here but I still have tolerant neighbors. New members-glad the have you on board, we need you and I would like to meet everyone. I would like to keep going on, but this is tough for a C student.Let me here some chatter.

        Dean

        .

      • malanglie
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 23, 2011
          Anyone have any opinions? Good idea, bad idea? Anything?

          --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Langlie" <mlanglie@...> wrote:

          > I like the idea as we have been talking about it. At least we need to start
          > meeting even if we don't always have a shoot.
          >

          > Matt

        • Hans Miller
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 23, 2011
            I would first like to thank Dean and Kathy for the invitation to let PTPG use their place for a gathering.

            It will be up to Dean to pick the date and set forth the guidelines for what, (if anything) besides rockets made that day can be shot.

            The charcoal production is a great idea as it is the basis of all fireworks.

            Please let us know the date you choose and what will be allowed and I will work up a draft event order and meeting agenda for the day.

            Hans Miller
            Cell (701) 205-5003

            sent from blah blah blahberry

            From: "malanglie" <mlanglie@...>
            Sender: PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 23:45:59 -0000
            To: <PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com

            Anyone have any opinions? Good idea, bad idea? Anything?

            --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Langlie" <mlanglie@...> wrote:

            > I like the idea as we have been talking about it. At least we need to start
            > meeting even if we don't always have a shoot.
            >

            > Matt

          • Tom and Brenda
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 23, 2011
              I’m open to just about anything in order to meet some of you guys.  I’ll try to get work to cooperate but I’m looking forward to doing something.

              Tom

              From: "malanglie" <mlanglie@...>
              Sender: PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 23:45:59 -0000
              To: <PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com>

            • muzzey314@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 23, 2011
                I will probably have to skip out until at least next spring.  For those that haven't heard my daughter tripped and fell into the campfire last friday.  She just is doing okay but has second degree burns on her arms.  The doctors don't think there will be any scarring.  We are praying that she still get to come home on friday.

                Connected by DROID on Verizon Wireless

                Re: [PrairieThunderPyrotechnics] Re: fall gathering/member meeting/elections

                From: "malanglie" <mlanglie@...>
                Sender: PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 23:45:59 -0000
                To: <PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com

                Anyone have any opinions? Good idea, bad idea? Anything?

                --- In mailto:PrairieThunderPyrotechnics%40yahoogroups.com, "Matt Langlie" <mlanglie@...> wrote:

                > I like the idea as we have been talking about it. At least we need to start
                > meeting even if we don't always have a shoot.
                >

                > Matt

              • Brent
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 24, 2011
                  I would definitely like to get together and have some pyro fun.
                  I was hoping we could make something work for the 10th, but it looks like that is going to be a bust.
                  I work every other weekend, so I would suggest we shoot for the weekend of the 24th of September,
                  If that works with Dean.  As an alternative, we could do another weekend at Tom’s place on the 24th.
                  I had asked him about doing something at his place on the 10th, which would not work.  But he is open to
                  doing something on the 24th.

                  Brent
                • Keith Meyer
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 24, 2011

                    I live one mile east of Hillsboro, 40 miles north of Fargo. I have a pretty big yard in the country and a quonset that we can work out of if we wish to do a shoot. I think my yard is big enough to handle a shoot – I have 7 acres but much of that is trees. I suppose about 3-4 acres is treeless. I’m actually putting on a show for friends and neighbors on the 17th at my house, so my yard accommodates my C-level show.

                    I don’t know how far anyone wants to drive, but I’m just offering my place as a site after the 17th if it is needed.

                    Keith Meyer

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 24, 2011

                      Sorry to hear that Dan.  Hope everything goes well for you and your family!

                      From: "malanglie" <mlanglie@...>

                      Sender: PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com

                      Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 23:45:59 -0000

                      To: <PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com>

                      ReplyTo: PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com

                      Anyone have any opinions? Good idea, bad idea? Anything?

                      > I like the idea as we have been talking about it. At least we need to start

                      > meeting even if we don't always have a shoot.

                      > Matt

                    • andys_junk_address
                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 24, 2011
                        Neither Tyler or I will be able to make the Sept 10 date either. A mutual friend of ours is having his wedding reception that evening.

                        Sept 24 is free on my calendar if that's working for other members. Thanks, both Dean and Keith for offering potential locations!

                        --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, Keith Meyer <hinsameyer@...> wrote:

                        > I live one mile east of Hillsboro, 40 miles north of Fargo. I have a pretty big yard in the country and a quonset that we can work out of if we wish to do a shoot. I think my yard is big enough to handle a shoot â€" I have 7 acres but much of that is trees. I suppose about 3-4 acres is treeless. I’m actually putting on a show for friends and neighbors on the 17th at my house, so my yard accommodates my C-level show.
                        >

                        > I don’t know how far anyone wants to drive, but I’m just offering my place as a site after the 17th if it is needed.
                        >

                        > Keith Meyer

                      • Tom Pence
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 26, 2011
                          Had a thought after the meeting the other night, concerning promotions.  You can't ignore the impact of Facebook these days and I don't see that we have a page on FB. If we do, I've missed it.  Has anyone discussed setting this up?  It's pretty easy and can attract some people that may see that before the website.  Just a thought.

                          Tom

                          To: PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com
                          From: mia@...
                          Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 01:48:33 +0000
                          Subject: [PrairieThunderPyrotechnics] PTPG outlook and history

                          Hi. With the recent chatter about Prairie Thunder and the addition of several new members, I find it necessary to provide a bit of history of our club and our outlook for the future.

                          Following the PGI convention in Fargo in 2007, I became acquainted with Dan Muzzy through an online fireworks forum. With the help of Tom Sklebar, we began to hatch a plan to form a Fargo area pyrotechnics enthusiast club. Using the PGI membership list for the region as a basis, I began sending out mass emails to about 50 people that had provided their email address to the PGI. Over the course of a couple of months, it became evident that there seemed to be enough people in the area who would be interested in a local club. In January of 2008 our 1st meeting was held. Over the following couple of months, an interim board worked through writing by-laws, established dues, and researched options for a shoot site.

                          In May of 2008, our first group shoot was held at Adventure Shooting Sports in Horace. To say that we had a gracious host in the former owners of the gun club would be an understatement. We had 2 more shoots in 2008, 3 in 2009, and 2 in 2010. Jon and Annie almost always accommodated our request to come out and have a gathering to shoot fireworks on their property. Unfortunately in the fall of 2010, the gun club declared bankruptcy and closed. This has left us without a regular gathering place close to Fargo. There have been a few gatherings of members at Tom Sklebar's place over the past 18 months, but these gatherings have had fewer in attendance due to the distance from the core of our membership.

                          It is also worthy to note that Dan and I have had significant life changes in the past 3 years. Dan Moved from Detroit Lakes to Brookings, SD. I have changed jobs and started several new ventures with my business partners. Speaking for myself, I have not been able to dedicated the same amount of time to the club as I had when we first began.

                          Looking back at the notes from our very first meeting, we were all in agreement that growing the club to a level of performance, ability, and membership to other regional clubs was not going to happen overnight. My vision for the club remains the same. Our newest members are not as fortunate to have been along for the ride of our 1st couple of years.

                          The board of directors remains in casual control of the business and future of the club. We communicate via email and telephone in an attempt to remain up to date. I believe the last time that we held an official membership "meeting" was in July of 2009. The board met in Appleton at PGI in 2010, and the board stayed in touch during the Fargo convention earlier this month.

                          I was able to secure the name and phone number of the new owner of the gun club. I spoke with him today. He was not ready to commit to granting us permission to use the club in the future, but he was not completely opposed either. He is focused on the primary purpose of Adventure Shooting Sports which is to re-open the facility as a gun club. He suggested that I remain in contact with him over the next several months.

                          The bottom line is this, Prairie Thunder needs a place to shoot. We think that this would preferably be in ND due to the non-restrictive fireworks laws. If there is a new member, or an existing member who has remained reserved about a possible shoot site, please come forward.

                          If we are unable to come up with a place for the scheduled September 10th shoot, we should none the less gather for a membership meeting. Please post your thoughts on possible shoot sites and we will see if we can pull the fall shoot off.

                          Yours in Service,
                          Hans Miller
                          President- Prairie Thunder Pyrotechnics Guild

                        • Keith Meyer
                          Message 12 of 14 , Sep 26, 2011

                            I’m on Facebook quite a bit and with the automatic notifications from Facebook it would be an easy way to stay up to date on what’s happening with the club.

                            Keith

                            To: PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com

                            Message 13 of 14 , Sep 26, 2011
                              ...and a simple "friending" of PTPG will notify most of your friends too if I'm not mistaken.  A quick way to get the message out.

                              Tom

                              To: PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com
                              From: hinsameyer@...
                              Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 13:54:37 -0500