: WPAG shoot update

  • luann_moore1313
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
      OK, we have some updated information about possibly attending a club
      shoot with WPAG.

      Choice #1 is is doing the shooters certification on Apr 25. This is
      the same shooters certification that the PGI offers. There is a
      cost associated with this for materials which I believe is $50. If
      there is interest, I will verify the actual dollar amount.

      Choice #2 is a club shoot with a "to be determined" seminar on May 9.

      Choice #3 is a club shoot with a "to be determined" seminar on June
      6.

      Luann and I will be attending #2 and #3 for sure, and possibly #1.
      We are not limited to choosing only 1 of the options. We can have a
      stronger voice in which seminar is presented if we have a larger
      number of people attending any 1 of the events. If we have a small
      number of members interested, they would be able to attend as our
      guests.

      The shoots are B and C, but must be certified in order to shoot B.

      Typically we would head out either mid morning Friday, or EARLY
      Saturday and camp there for the 1 or 2 nights. Motels are available
      about a 1/2 hour from the shoot site.

      So, what I need to know is how much interest there would be in doing
      this. If there is sufficient interest, we can then discuss what
      kind of seminar we would like.

      Please respond with your interest in doing this.

      Thank You
      Brent
    • Hans Miller
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
        About 450 miles from Fargo. Personally, I applaud the efforts of
        coming up with ideas and activities for our group to participate
        in..... but there is always a but.

        PTPG would better serve its members by focusing on our local club and
        keeping as close to home as possible. We have members within our
        group who have access to building materials, land to shoot at, and
        equipment and supplies for putting projects together. If I could pick
        a day or weekend to dedicate to pyro, I would much rather not spend 15
        hours of that time driving too and from a shoot. I think if an effort
        was made to put something together more locally we would see more
        participation from our members.

        Hans

        --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "luann_moore1313"
        <luann_moore1313@...> wrote:

        > OK, we have some updated information about possibly attending a club
        > shoot with WPAG.
        >
        > Choice #1 is is doing the shooters certification on Apr 25. This is
        > the same shooters certification that the PGI offers. There is a
        > cost associated with this for materials which I believe is $50. If
        > there is interest, I will verify the actual dollar amount.
        >
        > Choice #2 is a club shoot with a "to be determined" seminar on May 9.
        >
        > Choice #3 is a club shoot with a "to be determined" seminar on June
        > 6.
        >
        > Luann and I will be attending #2 and #3 for sure, and possibly #1.
        > We are not limited to choosing only 1 of the options. We can have a
        > stronger voice in which seminar is presented if we have a larger
        > number of people attending any 1 of the events. If we have a small
        > number of members interested, they would be able to attend as our
        > guests.
        >
        > The shoots are B and C, but must be certified in order to shoot B.
        >
        > Typically we would head out either mid morning Friday, or EARLY
        > Saturday and camp there for the 1 or 2 nights. Motels are available
        > about a 1/2 hour from the shoot site.
        >
        > So, what I need to know is how much interest there would be in doing
        > this. If there is sufficient interest, we can then discuss what
        > kind of seminar we would like.
        >
        > Please respond with your interest in doing this.
        >
        > Thank You
        > Brent

      • Keith Meyer
        Message 3 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008

          I guess Hans makes good sense. Let’s take the time we would put into such a trip and have an event here in the Valley that would spark more interest in our club.

          Can we do any shooter certification here? I’d sure like to work toward B certification someday.

          Keith

          Message 4 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
          • luann_moore1313
            Message 5 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
              It is certainly looking so far like the interest in a trek to
              Wisconsin is about nil. Which is OK. I guess my thoughts behind this
              is to do what it takes to get our club moving in the direction of
              being able to shoot B items, and to surround ourselves with more
              knowledgable people we can learn from. The WPAG is a very knowledgable
              and helpful bunch - and they invited us. If we already have options to
              be able to move in that direction closer to home, thats great and we
              should do it.

              Brent
              Message 6 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                Its not that I'm not interested. It is more that my wallet or my vacation time can afford much more pyro trips. I think I might break 5000 miles travel for pyro this year alone.

                In addition to the WPAG, we have an open invite to do something with the Northern Lighters in the cities.

                We still have options locally to more us towards class B. The biggest obsticle is still the insurance.

                Dan

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 21 , Oct 12, 2008
                  Sorry, it is very out of character for me to lag this far behind in my
                  checking the board.

                  If we can drum up enough interest, we could probably do our own class.
                  Who among us is PGI certified? I am, Tyler, Andy, and Tom for sure.
                  There are probably others who are members of our club who have
                  already gone through shooter certification. That doesn't leave too
                  many more who would line up.

                  We need to put a carrot in front of the training. I like the way WPAG
                  does it and we are along the same lines with class C.

                  WPAG- If you haven't gone through shooter certification, you dont shoot B.

                  PTPG- If you are not a member, you dont shoot anything.

                  Hans

                  --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Muzzey"
                  <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

                  > Its not that I'm not interested. It is more that my wallet or my
                  vacation time can afford much more pyro trips. I think I might break
                  5000 miles travel for pyro this year alone.

                  > In addition to the WPAG, we have an open invite to do something with
                  the Northern Lighters in the cities.

                  > We still have options locally to more us towards class B. The
                  biggest obsticle is still the insurance.

                  > Dan
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Keith Meyer
                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 12, 2008

                    I took the shooter certification at Gillette 4 years ago. I don’t know if the certifications lapse after a while.

                    Keith

                  • jrsrocket@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 12, 2008
                      Yes.
                      They expire after 3 years.
                      John Steinberg

                      <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

                      > Its not that I'm not interested. It is more that my wallet or my
                      vacation time can afford much more pyro trips. I think I might break
                      5000 miles travel for pyro this year alone.

                      > In addition to the WPAG, we have an open invite to do something with
                      the Northern Lighters in the cities.

                      > We still have options locally to more us towards class B. The
                      biggest obsticle is still the insurance.

                      > Dan
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Keith Meyer
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 12, 2008

                        So I would be one who would want a shooter certification class.

                        Keith

                        <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

                        > Its not that I'm not interested. It is more that my wallet or my
                        vacation time can afford much more pyro trips. I think I might break
                        5000 miles travel for pyro this year alone.

                        > In addition to the WPAG, we have an open invite to do something with
                        the Northern Lighters in the cities.

                        > We still have options locally to more us towards class B. The
                        biggest obsticle is still the insurance.

                        > Dan
                        >
                        > ________________________________

                        New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News more. Try it out!

                      • toms995@hughes.net
                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 13, 2008
                          John is correct, shooters cert expires after 3 years. I am a certified
                          instructor so assuming I could get a little help from the south dakota
                          folks, the class could be taught.

                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 13, 2008
                          • Perry McClellan
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 13, 2008

                              Depending on the dates, I would be interested in Shooter Cert. I took it four years ago, and I was only able to help with one demo, so I'm sure it has expired.

                              Perry

                              If we could get enough people I would be interested as well.

                              Dan

                              <dan.muzzey@. ...> wrote:

                              > Its not that I'm not interested. It is more that my wallet or my
                              vacation time can afford much more pyro trips. I think I might break
                              5000 miles travel for pyro this year alone.

                              > In addition to the WPAG, we have an open invite to do something with
                              the Northern Lighters in the cities.

                              > We still have options locally to more us towards class B. The
                              biggest obsticle is still the insurance.

                              > Dan

                            • Jonathan M. Schuler
                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 13, 2008
                                Same here... my certification has expired. Would be interested, but could
                                wait for the next PGI convention(provided that I attended).

                                Jon