WPAG shoot

  • luann_moore1313
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 24, 2008
      As most of you know, we (Brent and LuAnn) are also members of WPAG.
      We got an interesting invitation from the WPAG. They would be
      interested in having any of our club members that want to join them
      for a shoot. Their standard practice is to have a class of some
      sort prior to the shoot, similiar to what the pgi has for classes.
      If we did this, it would be next spring or summer on dates yet to be
      determined.

      What I would like to know is this...

      Is there any interest in doing this?
      What kind of class would we be most interested in?
      Options are just about anything that the PGI would give a class on,
      such as fusing techniques, rocket making, star rolling, shell
      building, etc.

      This does not have to be a Prairie thunder sanctiond event. It
      could just be a bunch of us attending.

      Please respond with your thoughts on this.
    • Keith Meyer
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 24, 2008

        I would be very interested, depending on dates and commitments of course. I’d be interested in fusing, rockets, shell building, just about anything. I think it’s a great idea!

        Keith

        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
          I would be interested as well. I would prefer a shell building
          class. Either Italian, or ball shells using plastic hemis, so they
          could be built and shot same day. Timing is key of course and
          packing more stuff into my spring or summer may not be possible.
          What is the roundtrip milage to their meeting site from Fargo? Would
          anybody attending need to be a 1 week or regular member?

          Hans

          --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, Keith Meyer
          <Keith.Meyer@...> wrote:

          > I would be very interested, depending on dates and commitments of
          course. I'd be interested in fusing, rockets, shell building, just
          about anything. I think it's a great idea!

          > Keith

        • Perry McClellan
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
            I think My wife and I would be interested depending on the time and location. Shell building would be a great class idea.

            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008
              The trip is 431 miles one way for me, so add about 45 miles to that to
              come from Fargo. It takes about 7 hours.
              One suggestion that was made was to charter a bus, depending on how
              many were interested. That way we are not all driving seperately.

              Not sure about the membership question. They do have a guest program
              where anyone can attend as a guest of a member, but I will have to
              find out about that and post the answer.
            • Keith Meyer
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 25, 2008

                If we could get enough for a bus that would be great. We could sit back, relax, have a few beverages and get to know each other a little bit.

                Keith

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 27, 2008
                  WOW, that is a trek! On second thought, it is unlikely that I would be
                  able to commit to such a trip. It is a great idea and I appreciate
                  your efforts throwing the it out there, but one week of pyro vacation
                  is about all I can fit in, plus anything I can reasonably do within a
                  day locally. Hopefully the idea will turn into a nice 3 day weekend
                  for a group of area PTPG members sometime next summer or spring.
                  Please be sure to keep everyone in the loop on timing for this. We do
                  not want to overbook on a weekend where we could be looking at having
                  something locally for PTPG.

                  Hans

                  --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "luann_moore1313"

                  Message 8 of 21 , Oct 8, 2008
                    OK, we have some updated information about possibly attending a club
                    shoot with WPAG.

                    Choice #1 is is doing the shooters certification on Apr 25. This is
                    the same shooters certification that the PGI offers. There is a
                    cost associated with this for materials which I believe is $50. If
                    there is interest, I will verify the actual dollar amount.

                    Choice #2 is a club shoot with a "to be determined" seminar on May 9.

                    Choice #3 is a club shoot with a "to be determined" seminar on June
                    6.

                    Luann and I will be attending #2 and #3 for sure, and possibly #1.
                    We are not limited to choosing only 1 of the options. We can have a
                    stronger voice in which seminar is presented if we have a larger
                    number of people attending any 1 of the events. If we have a small
                    number of members interested, they would be able to attend as our
                    guests.

                    The shoots are B and C, but must be certified in order to shoot B.

                    Typically we would head out either mid morning Friday, or EARLY
                    Saturday and camp there for the 1 or 2 nights. Motels are available
                    about a 1/2 hour from the shoot site.

                    So, what I need to know is how much interest there would be in doing
                    this. If there is sufficient interest, we can then discuss what
                    kind of seminar we would like.

                    Please respond with your interest in doing this.

                    Thank You
                    Brent
                  • Hans Miller
                    Message 9 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                      About 450 miles from Fargo. Personally, I applaud the efforts of
                      coming up with ideas and activities for our group to participate
                      in..... but there is always a but.

                      PTPG would better serve its members by focusing on our local club and
                      keeping as close to home as possible. We have members within our
                      group who have access to building materials, land to shoot at, and
                      equipment and supplies for putting projects together. If I could pick
                      a day or weekend to dedicate to pyro, I would much rather not spend 15
                      hours of that time driving too and from a shoot. I think if an effort
                      was made to put something together more locally we would see more
                      participation from our members.

                      <luann_moore1313@...> wrote:

                      > OK, we have some updated information about possibly attending a club
                      > shoot with WPAG.
                      >
                      > Choice #1 is is doing the shooters certification on Apr 25. This is
                      > the same shooters certification that the PGI offers. There is a
                      > cost associated with this for materials which I believe is $50. If
                      > there is interest, I will verify the actual dollar amount.
                      >
                      > Choice #2 is a club shoot with a "to be determined" seminar on May 9.
                      >
                      > Choice #3 is a club shoot with a "to be determined" seminar on June
                      > 6.
                      >
                      > Luann and I will be attending #2 and #3 for sure, and possibly #1.
                      > We are not limited to choosing only 1 of the options. We can have a
                      > stronger voice in which seminar is presented if we have a larger
                      > number of people attending any 1 of the events. If we have a small
                      > number of members interested, they would be able to attend as our
                      > guests.
                      >
                      > The shoots are B and C, but must be certified in order to shoot B.
                      >
                      > Typically we would head out either mid morning Friday, or EARLY
                      > Saturday and camp there for the 1 or 2 nights. Motels are available
                      > about a 1/2 hour from the shoot site.
                      >
                      > So, what I need to know is how much interest there would be in doing
                      > this. If there is sufficient interest, we can then discuss what
                      > kind of seminar we would like.
                      >
                      > Please respond with your interest in doing this.
                      >
                      > Thank You
                      > Brent

                    • Keith Meyer
                      Message 10 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008

                        I guess Hans makes good sense. Let’s take the time we would put into such a trip and have an event here in the Valley that would spark more interest in our club.

                        Can we do any shooter certification here? I’d sure like to work toward B certification someday.

                        Keith

                        Message 11 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                        • luann_moore1313
                          Message 12 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                            It is certainly looking so far like the interest in a trek to
                            Wisconsin is about nil. Which is OK. I guess my thoughts behind this
                            is to do what it takes to get our club moving in the direction of
                            being able to shoot B items, and to surround ourselves with more
                            knowledgable people we can learn from. The WPAG is a very knowledgable
                            and helpful bunch - and they invited us. If we already have options to
                            be able to move in that direction closer to home, thats great and we
                            should do it.

                            Brent
                            Message 13 of 21 , Oct 9, 2008
                              Its not that I'm not interested. It is more that my wallet or my vacation time can afford much more pyro trips. I think I might break 5000 miles travel for pyro this year alone.

                              In addition to the WPAG, we have an open invite to do something with the Northern Lighters in the cities.

                              We still have options locally to more us towards class B. The biggest obsticle is still the insurance.

                              Dan

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 21 , Oct 12, 2008
                                Sorry, it is very out of character for me to lag this far behind in my
                                checking the board.

                                If we can drum up enough interest, we could probably do our own class.
                                Who among us is PGI certified? I am, Tyler, Andy, and Tom for sure.
                                There are probably others who are members of our club who have
                                already gone through shooter certification. That doesn't leave too
                                many more who would line up.

                                We need to put a carrot in front of the training. I like the way WPAG
                                does it and we are along the same lines with class C.

                                WPAG- If you haven't gone through shooter certification, you dont shoot B.

                                PTPG- If you are not a member, you dont shoot anything.

                                Hans

                                --- In PrairieThunderPyrotechnics@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Muzzey"
                                <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

                                > Its not that I'm not interested. It is more that my wallet or my
                                vacation time can afford much more pyro trips. I think I might break
                                5000 miles travel for pyro this year alone.

                                > In addition to the WPAG, we have an open invite to do something with
                                the Northern Lighters in the cities.

                                > We still have options locally to more us towards class B. The
                                biggest obsticle is still the insurance.

                                > Dan
                                >
                                > ________________________________

                              • Keith Meyer
                                Message 15 of 21 , Oct 12, 2008

                                  I took the shooter certification at Gillette 4 years ago. I don’t know if the certifications lapse after a while.

                                  Keith

                                • jrsrocket@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Oct 12, 2008
                                    Yes.
                                    They expire after 3 years.
                                    John Steinberg

                                    <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

                                    > Its not that I'm not interested. It is more that my wallet or my
                                    vacation time can afford much more pyro trips. I think I might break
                                    5000 miles travel for pyro this year alone.

                                    > In addition to the WPAG, we have an open invite to do something with
                                    the Northern Lighters in the cities.

                                    > We still have options locally to more us towards class B. The
                                    biggest obsticle is still the insurance.

                                    > Dan
                                    >
                                    > ________________________________

                                  • Keith Meyer
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 12, 2008

                                      So I would be one who would want a shooter certification class.

                                      Keith

                                      <dan.muzzey@...> wrote:

                                      > Its not that I'm not interested. It is more that my wallet or my
                                      vacation time can afford much more pyro trips. I think I might break
                                      5000 miles travel for pyro this year alone.

                                      > In addition to the WPAG, we have an open invite to do something with
                                      the Northern Lighters in the cities.

                                      > We still have options locally to more us towards class B. The
                                      biggest obsticle is still the insurance.

                                      > Dan
                                      >
                                      > ________________________________

                                      New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News more. Try it out!

                                    • toms995@hughes.net
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 13, 2008
                                        John is correct, shooters cert expires after 3 years. I am a certified
                                        instructor so assuming I could get a little help from the south dakota
                                        folks, the class could be taught.

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 13, 2008
                                        • Perry McClellan
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Oct 13, 2008

                                            Depending on the dates, I would be interested in Shooter Cert. I took it four years ago, and I was only able to help with one demo, so I'm sure it has expired.

                                            Perry

                                            If we could get enough people I would be interested as well.

                                            Dan

                                            <dan.muzzey@. ...> wrote:

                                            > Its not that I'm not interested. It is more that my wallet or my
                                            vacation time can afford much more pyro trips. I think I might break
                                            5000 miles travel for pyro this year alone.

                                            > In addition to the WPAG, we have an open invite to do something with
                                            the Northern Lighters in the cities.

                                            > We still have options locally to more us towards class B. The
                                            biggest obsticle is still the insurance.

                                            > Dan

                                          • Jonathan M. Schuler
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 13, 2008
                                              Same here... my certification has expired. Would be interested, but could
                                              wait for the next PGI convention(provided that I attended).

                                              Jon