Tuesday , Feb.1st : "He has said, "Just always think of Me." ... the essence of the teachings of Bhagavad-gita. "

  • Barb Sheets
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2011

      Bhagavad-Gita As It Is

      "And I declare that he who studies this sacred conversation

      worships Me by his intelligence.

      And one who listens with faith and without envy

      becomes free from sinful reactions

      and attains to the planets where the pious dwell."

      (Chapter 18, Texts 70&71)

      Today’s BG Reading is from the 18th Chapter

      “Conclusion--The Perfection of Renunciation”

      Text 64

      sarva-guhyatamam bhuyah
      srnu me paramam vacah
      isto 'si me drdham iti
      tato vaksyami te hitam

      SYNONYMS

      http://www.asitis.com/gif/bump.gifsarva-guhya-tamam--the most confidential of all; bhuyah--again; srnu--just hear; me--from Me; paramam--the supreme; vacah--instruction; istah asi--you are very dear to Me; me--of Me; drdham--very; iti--thus; tatah--therefore; vaksyami--I am speaking; te--for your; hitam--benefit.

      TRANSLATION

      http://www.asitis.com/gif/bump.gifBecause you are My very dear friend, I am speaking to you the most confidential part of knowledge. Hear this from Me, for it is for your benefit.

      PURPORT

      http://www.asitis.com/gif/bump.gifThe Lord has given Arjuna confidential knowledge of the Supersoul within everyone's heart, and now He is giving the most confidential part of this knowledge: just surrender unto the Supreme Personality of Godhead. At the end of the Ninth Chapter He has said, "Just always think of Me." The same instruction is repeated here to stress the essence of the teachings of Bhagavad-gita. This essence is not understood by a common man, but by one who is actually very dear to Krsna, a pure devotee of Krsna. This is the most important instruction in all Vedic literature. What Krsna is saying in this connection is the most essential part of knowledge, and it should be carried out not only by Arjuna but by all living entities.

      Srimad-Bhagavatam

      om namo bhagavate vasudevaya
      om namo bhagavate vasudevaya
      om namo bhagavate vasudevaya

      Today’s Reading is from the Third Canto, Fifthteenth Chapter, of the Srimad-Bhagavatam, entitled :

      "Description of the Kingdom of God."

      TEXT 31 - When the Kumaras, although by far the fittest persons, were thus forbidden entrance by the two chief doorkeepers of Sri Hari while other divinities looked on, their eyes suddenly turned red because of anger due to their great eagerness to see their most beloved master, Sri Hari, the Personality of Godhead.

      PURPORT - According to the Vedic system, a sannyasi, a person in the renounced order of life, is dressed in saffron-colored garments. This saffron dress is practically a passport for the mendicant and sannyasi to go anywhere. The sannyasi's duty is to enlighten people in Krsna consciousness. Those in the renounced order of life have no other business but preaching the glories and supremacy of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Therefore the Vedic sociological conception is that a sannyasi should not be restricted; he is allowed to go anywhere and everywhere he wants, and he is not refused any gift he might demand from a householder. The four Kumaras came to see the Supreme Personality of Godhead Narayana. The word suhrttama, "best of all friends," is important. As Lord Krsna states in the Bhagavad-gita, He is the best friend of all living entities. Suhrdam sarva-bhutanam. No one can be a greater well-wishing friend to any living entity than the Supreme Personality of Godhead. He is so kindly disposed towards everyone that in spite of our completely forgetting our relationship with the Supreme Lord, He comes Himself--sometimes personally, as Lord Krsna appeared on this earth, and sometimes as His devotee, as did Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu--and sometimes He sends His bona fide devotees to reclaim all the fallen souls. Therefore, He is the greatest well-wishing friend of everyone, and the Kumaras wanted to see Him. The doorkeepers should have known that the four sages had no other business, and therefore to restrict them from entering the palace was not apt.

         In this verse it is figuratively stated that the younger brother of desire suddenly appeared in person when the sages were forbidden to see their most beloved Personality of Godhead. The younger brother of desire is anger. If one's desire is not fulfilled, the younger brother, anger, follows. Here we can mark that even great saintly persons like the Kumaras were also angry, but they were not angry for their personal interests. They were angry because they were forbidden to enter the palace to see the Personality of Godhead. Therefore the theory that in the perfectional stage one should not have anger is not supported in this verse. Anger will continue even in the liberated stage. These four mendicant brothers, the Kumaras, were considered liberated persons, but still they were angry because they were restricted in their service to the Lord. The difference between the anger of an ordinary person and that of a liberated person is that an ordinary person becomes angry because his sense desires are not being fulfilled, whereas a liberated person like the Kumaras becomes angry when restricted in the discharge of duties for serving the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

         In the previous verse it has been clearly mentioned that the Kumaras were liberated persons. Viditatma-tattva means "one who understands the truth of self-realization." One who does not understand the truth of self-realization is called ignorant, but one who understands the self, the Superself, their interrelation, and activities in self-realization is called viditatma-tattva. Although the Kumaras were already liberated persons, they nevertheless became angry. This point is very important. Becoming liberated does not necessitate losing one's sensual activities. Sense activities continue even in the liberated stage. The difference is, however, that sense activities in liberation are accepted only in connection with Krsna consciousness, whereas sense activities in the conditioned stage are enacted for personal sense gratification.

      Sri Caitanya-caritamrta

      "Simply hearing submissively

      will free one's heart

      from all the faults of ignorance,

      and thus one will achieve deep love for Krsna.

      This is the path of peace."

      ( Adi 1.107)

      Todays C.C. Reading from  Madya Lila, Eleventh Chapter

      “The Beda-kirtana Pastimes of Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu”

      TEXT 111 - The King then asked the Bhattacarya, "Why have the devotees not observed the regulations for visiting the pilgrimage place, such as fasting, shaving and so on? Why have they first eaten prasada?"

      TEXT 112 - The Bhattacarya told the King, "What you have said is right according to the regulative principles governing the visiting of holy places, but there is another path, which is the path of spontaneous love. According to those principles, there are subtle intricacies involved in the execution of religious principles.

      PURPORT - According to the Vedic regulative principles, one has to be celibate before entering a holy place of pilgrimage. Generally people are very much addicted to sense gratification, and unless they have sex at night, they cannot sleep. The regulative principles therefore enjoin that before a common man goes to a holy place of pilgrimage, he should observe complete celibacy. As soon as one enters a holy place, he must observe fasting for the day, and after shaving his head clean, he must take a bath in a river or ocean near the holy place. These methods are adopted to neutralize the effects of sinful activities. Visiting a holy place of pilgrimage means neutralizing the reactions of a sinful life. Those who go to holy places of pilgrimage actually unload the reactions of their sinful lives, and consequently holy places are overloaded with sinful activities left there by visitors.

         When a saintly person or pure devotee visits such a holy place, he absorbs the sinful effects left by the common man and again purifies the holy place. Tirthi-kurvanti tirthani (Bhag. 1.13.10). Therefore a common man's visit to a holy place and an exalted saintly person's visit there are different. The common man leaves his sins in the holy place, and a saintly person or devotee cleanses these sins simply by his presence. The devotees of Lord Caitanya Mahaprabhu were not common men, and they could not be subjected to the rules and regulations governing the visiting of holy places. Rather, they exhibited their spontaneous love for Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu. Immediately upon arrival at the holy place, they went to see Lord Caitanya, and by His order they took maha-prasada without following the regulations governing holy places.

      The Nectar of Devotion

      This week’s reading

      Chapter 4: Devotional Service Surpasses All Liberation

      http://vedabase.net/nod/4/en1

      Krsna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead

      Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! he
      Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! he
      Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! raksa mam
      Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! Krsna! pahi mam
      Rama! Raghava! Rama! Raghava! Rama! Raghava! raksa mam
      Krsna! Kesava! Krsna! Kesava! Krsna! Kesava! pahi mam

      This week’s reading is the Bhaktivedanta purport of the Sixty-seventh Chapter :

      "Deliverance of Dvivida Gorilla"

      http://krsnabook.com/ch67.html

      A Prayer

      " Simply our prayer should be, My dear Krishna,

       please remind me to always chant Your Holy Name,

      please do not put me into forgetfulness.

      You are sitting within me as Supersoul,

      so You can put me into forgetfulness or into remembering You.

      So please do not put me into forgetfulness.

      Please always remind me to chant,

      even You send me into the hell, it doesn't matter,

      just so long as I can always chant Hare Krishna."

      ~Srila Prabhupada ~

      ( from a letter to: Devananda  --  Los Angeles 23 November, 1968 )

      Morning Meditations

      Chanting Japa with Srila Prabhupada

      Resources

      1)  Hear Srila Prabhupada's lectures, morning walks, bhajana, kirtan and more at this address ~

      2) Listen to The Bhagavad-Gita As It Is  in Sanskrit, Hindi, Gujarati, French, Spanish, Arabic or English ~  http://www.gitamrta.org/

      3) To hear Srila Prabhupada's lectures in Hindi, please visit the website and click on the Hindi tag. ~

      4 ) PrabhupadaBooks.com ~  http://prabhupadabooks.com:80/

      5 )  The Encyclopedia of  His Divine Grace  A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada's Teachings ~ http://vanipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

      6 )  The Bhaktivedanta Archives ~ http://www.prabhupada.com/

      7 )  Vaishnava Calendar Email Service ~ http://www.vaisnavacalendar.info/index.htm

      8 )  The Prabhupada Connection ~  http://www.prabhupadaconnect.com/

      9 )  Find wonderful recipes ~ http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/prasadam/recipes/recipes.htm

      10 ) Save the Cow ~  http://savethecow.wordpress.com/

      11 )  Another  opportunity for Devotional service  ~ Just  one click away: Hari Nama Sankirtan !

      Sri Sri Krishna Balarama

      Your servant…..