Community Formum on Child Care, Health Coverage and Wage Issues

  • Craig Brooks
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2008
      Last week people from Child Care Works, the Children's Defense Fund and the JOBS Now Coalition came to Winona to present us with issues affecting low income families.
      I found it interesting and depressing but I really appreciated the optimism and energy the staff from those three groups shared with us.

      The main thing I took away was the calculations of how much someone has to earn to make ends meet.  There is a calculator on line that shows averages and can be individualized to show how much you need to make per hour to cover your expenses.

      In Winona, on average, as an individual single person I would need a 40 hour per week job at $10.29 to cover the basics.
      As a single parent with two kids I would need $17.39 for those 40 hours.  (Child care cost is a big burden and failure to provide adequate care for young kids comes back to plague all of us in the future.)
      As a couple with two kids and only one parent working the 40 hours outside the home that one parent would need to make $15.08 per hour but if both parents worked 40 hours, they would both need to earn $11.39 (a total of $22.78).

      If you look at the expense items, I think you can see that there are no extras in this calculation.

      The presenters emphasized the need for a fair wage, child care help and access to adequate health care.

      The presentation was well worth it.  I'm glad I went.

      Craig Brooks