assistance

  • Kay Peterson
    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2007

      Greetings.

      A woman named Debra requested mortgage assistance from Volunteer Services last week.

      After much consideration, we denied her request.

      In the event she approaches another church or another agency, feel free to call me and I will explain the reasons for denial.

      Thank you.

      Kay Peterson

      Client Services Coordinator

      Winona Volunteer Services

      416 East 2nd Street

      Winona, MN  55987

      507-452-5591 ext. 12

      fax 507-457-0559

    • Rev. Rick King
      Message 2 of 12 , May 6, 2007
        THanks for this information.

        Rev. Rick King
        First Congregational Church
        United Church of Christ
        161 W. Broadway
        P. O. Box 312
        Winona, Minnesota 55987-0312
        E-Mail: revrick@...
        Ph. 507-452-4829

        We agree to differ.
        We resolve to love.
        We unite to serve.

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 21, 2008
          I just got off the phone with a Kelly Advise. My secretary accepted her
          collect call. She claimed to have been in worship here in early January
          and that she and her husband are in the process of moving from Cairo IL
          to the Winona area, in dover. Making a long story short, they are having
          car trouble and is asking to have $85 wired to them through Western
          Union at Mart. It would be wired to a Mart store in Belvedere, IL, where
          they are stranded.

          Has anyone else been called by them? I put her off saying that I could
          not get clearance to do anything before tomorrow, at which time she will
          call me back. She could not give me a phone number where she can be
          reached because she was calling from a pay phone, and the people with
          whom they are staying have to make another payment in order to get their
          phone turned on again. It all sounds extremely suspicious to me.

          David McBride
          Central United Methodist Church
        • Connie Larson
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 21, 2008
            I received the same call at Central Lutheran for Pastor Jeff.  I refused the call.  This has happened before.  So yes, I'd say its suspicious.
            Connie

            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 21, 2008

              It’s an old scam that comes around every once in a while

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 21, 2008

                I have heard of this before as well, but they have not tried contacting us, as far as I know.

                Kay P

                Winona Volunteer Services

                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 21, 2008
                  I had no sooner forwarded one of the emails on this to our office manager, than she received a call from this person!
                  Needless to say, I am having her subscribe as a member of the Poverty Roundtable Listserv!

                  Rev. Rick King
                  First Congregational Church
                  United Church of Christ
                  161 W. Broadway
                  P. O. Box 312
                  Winona, Minnesota 55987-0312
                  E-Mail: revrick@...
                  Ph. 507-452-4829

                  We agree to differ.
                  We resolve to love.
                  We unite to serve.
                  Yes it is. And the last name that Kelly game me was Davis. I'm told that once money is put into the Western Union system, a person can pick it up anywhere, so they do not even have to be anywhere near Belvedere, IL. It's amazing that they are only trying to get $85 out of people. Perhaps they think that may be more possible to get people to send that amount rather than something larger.

                  David McBride

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 21, 2008

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 21, 2008
                      We had a similar situation a few years ago at the Islamic Center. The person that did that was going around in a similar fashion. I contacted the local law enforcement authorities who, in turn, contacted the FBI. Before I did that, I had as much information about the caller as I could. Nothing happened in the immediate future. However, the FBI stayed on the matter. They set up a trap for the caller, but he illuded them. Eventually, the Canadian Mounted Police picked him up. Who ever is contacted again might want to keep that in mind.

                      Ahmed El-Afandi
                      ________________________________

                      I had no sooner forwarded one of the emails on this to our office manager, than she received a call from this person!
                      Needless to say, I am having her subscribe as a member of the Poverty Roundtable Listserv!

                      Rev. Rick King
                      First Congregational Church
                      United Church of Christ
                      161 W. Broadway
                      P. O. Box 312
                      Winona, Minnesota 55987-0312
                      E-Mail: revrick@... <mailto:revrick@...>
                      Website: www.firstcongwinona.org <http://www.firstcongwinona.org/>
                      Ph. 507-452-4829

                      We agree to differ.
                      We resolve to love.
                      We unite to serve.

[...]

                    • First Congregational Church of Winona
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 22, 2008
                        Kellie just called again collect to First Congregational Church so they are
                        still trying to contact people for money.

                        yahoogroups.com on behalf of Rev. Rick King
                        Sent: Thu 2/21/2008 2:49 PM
                        To: PovertyRndTable@ <mailto:PovertyRndTable%40yahoogroups.com>
                        yahoogroups.com

                        I had no sooner forwarded one of the emails on this to our office manager,
                        than she received a call from this person!
                        Needless to say, I am having her subscribe as a member of the Poverty
                        Roundtable Listserv!

                        Rev. Rick King
                        First Congregational Church
                        United Church of Christ
                        161 W. Broadway
                        P. O. Box 312
                        Winona, Minnesota 55987-0312
                        E-Mail: revrick@firstcongwi <mailto:revrick%40firstcongwinona.org> nona.org
                        <mailto: revrick@firstcongwi <mailto:revrick%40firstcongwinona.org>
                        nona.org>
                        Website: www.firstcongwinona.org < http://www.firstcon
                        <http://www.firstcongwinona.org/> gwinona.org/>
                        Ph. 507-452-4829

                        We agree to differ.
                        We resolve to love.
                        We unite to serve.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 22, 2008
                          On behalf of First Baptist Church, thank you for the heads up.  No request from us yet, although we certainly had plenty in Dec. and Jan.  Donna

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 22, 2008

                            They called me this a.m. here at St. Pauls.