FW: Dental issue

  • First Congregational Church of Winona
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
      All those on our list: Please consider what you can do to help this man.
      Never was there a clearer case of need for one-time assistance in a large
      amount!
      Thanks for what you're all doing to help those in need!
      Rev. Rick King
      First Congregational Church
      United Church of Christ
      161 West Broadway
      PO Box 312
      Winona MN 55987
      Phone: 507-452-4829
      Fax: 507-457-0238
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
        Isn't there a dentist in town or in the area who would be willing to see
        this as a charity case and provide the service free of charge (or at a
        reduced rate)? Leslie
      • Ruth Korder
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
          Dr. Michael Flynn was featured in the WDN on Saturday as reaching out to low
          income patients. The article also mentions the Houston County Public Health
          Dental Health Clinic. Maybe he or the clinic would have some ideas.
          > Isn't there a dentist in town or in the area who would be willing to see
          > this as a charity case and provide the service free of charge (or at a
          > reduced rate)? Leslie
          >

          > For more information: http://www.winonashares.org/
          > Post message: mailto:PovertyRndTable@yahoogroups.com
          > Subscribe: mailto:PovertyRndTable-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > "If the misery of our poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our
          institutions, great is our sin." -Charles Darwin
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Paul Mundt
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
            There may be some misunderstanding here. I am not aware of a $24/tooth req
            under MA/GAMC . There is a $500 annual cap. However, dentures, and
            extractions related to dentures are not included in the $500 annual benefit
            limit.

            This person may want to touch base with Winona DHS or Legal Services.
            Winona is better off than some communities in having a number of DDS that
            participate in the MA program to provide services.

            = Paul Mundt =

            > All those on our list: Please consider what you can do to help this man.
            > Never was there a clearer case of need for one-time assistance in a large
            > amount!
            > Thanks for what you're all doing to help those in need!
            > Rev. Rick King
            > First Congregational Church
            > United Church of Christ
            > 161 West Broadway
            > PO Box 312
            > Winona MN 55987
            > Phone: 507-452-4829
            > Fax: 507-457-0238

          • Karen Moore
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
              Actually for GAMC there may be a 50% co pay for dentures or extractions.
              Emergency services - defined as when the dentist sees you the same day you
              call with a dental emergency - do not have a copay.
              Karen Moore, Winona Co

              > All those on our list: Please consider what you can do to help this man.
              > Never was there a clearer case of need for one-time assistance in a large
              > amount!
              > Thanks for what you're all doing to help those in need!
              > Rev. Rick King
              > First Congregational Church
              > United Church of Christ
              > 161 West Broadway
              > PO Box 312
              > Winona MN 55987
              > Phone: 507-452-4829
              > Fax: 507-457-0238

            • Malia Storvich
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
                may I ask how old is this man? Malia Storovich, Sr. Center

                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 8, 2004
                  I am new to this forum so I don't know if we are allowed but I am sure clubs at WSU (where I go to school) we be willing to fundraise for the cause. I am thinking a Greek group, Nursing or Social Work Dept. Clubs, or HOPE (Health Science Dept. Club) would love to get involved if they knew of the need, Perhaps a charitable fund could be established for any/all persons who come up against this problem as I know their are MANY who do. Does that sound good to anyone? KJ Rasley, WSU student

                • First Congregational Church of Winona
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 9, 2004
                    Katie's suggestion is a great one, long-term, especially. And it's an
                    expression of the University's vision of itself as "a community of learners
                    dedicated to improving our world." This is the kind of collaboration we're
                    looking to expand on the Poverty Roundtable!
                    Thanks, Katie!
                    Rick King

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 12, 2004
                      Greetings, all. After being out of the office all week, it's good to see
                      that some of you have responded to the request for dental assistance.
                      Catholic Charities will arrange to get the work done for this man in the
                      next week or two and will front the cost on this. Just like all of you, our
                      budget is stretched to the limit, so we hope to recoup much of the cost from
                      folks like you. Please send any contributions you can make to the following
                      address:

                      Catholic Charities
                      Emergency Assistance
                      Box 379
                      Winona, MN 55987

                      Please either attach a brief note or mark your check in the memo line
                      clearly for emergency assistance so the contribution is correctly credited.
                      Also, if you know of a dentist we should be contacting (perhaps you know if
                      your own would be open?) about giving us a deal on this, let me know. Feel
                      free to get me those names directly at the e-mail address below rather than
                      replying to this message so e-mailboxes aren't clogged unnecessarily.

                      I've also been in touch with the Winona State student who suggested some
                      campus fundraising on this and other needs and will see what she has in
                      mind. Other ideas (both in the short and long-term) are welcome.

                      Thanks in advance for whatever you can contribute. Please know that if by
                      some chance we would receive more contributions than needed for this
                      particular instance that we would restrict the overage to emergency
                      dental/medical needs for the poor in Winona.

                      Peace,
                      Suzanne

                      Suzanne Belongia
                      Director, Office of Parish and Community Social Action
                      Catholic Charities / Diocese of Winona
                      Box 379
                      Winona, MN 55987
                      507-454-2270 (ph)