Question about holiday giving programs

  • United Way of the Greater Winona Area
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 7, 2005
      Happy new year!

      At the wrap-up meeting earlier this week for the Gifts for Winona program,
      we discussed the fact that there seemed to be more holiday giving programs
      this year than the past couple years. Since the purpose of the Gifts for
      Winona program is to centralize the community's giving, this is a little
      disheartening.

      I've been asked to contact all of you to see which giving programs you may
      know occurred. We would like to compile a list and then take the opportunity
      to ask other giving programs to join with us. We definitely appreciate the
      community's generosity and want to be as inclusive as possible.

      Thanks!
      Beth

      Beth Forkner Moe
      Executive Director
      United Way of the Greater Winona Area
      507-452-4624
      unitedway@...
    • Revrick@hbci.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2005
        Before asking the other giving programs to join us in Gifts for Winona, why not
        see if we can find out WHY more giving programs proliferated? I don't know the
        answer to this question, but I'd be interested to find out.
        Rick King
        First Congregational Church, UCC

        Quoting United Way of the Greater Winona Area <unitedway@...>:

        > Happy new year!
        >
        > At the wrap-up meeting earlier this week for the Gifts for Winona program,
        > we discussed the fact that there seemed to be more holiday giving programs
        > this year than the past couple years. Since the purpose of the Gifts for
        > Winona program is to centralize the community's giving, this is a little
        > disheartening.
        >
        > I've been asked to contact all of you to see which giving programs you may
        > know occurred. We would like to compile a list and then take the opportunity
        > to ask other giving programs to join with us. We definitely appreciate the
        > community's generosity and want to be as inclusive as possible.
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Beth
        >

        > Beth Forkner Moe
        > Executive Director
        > United Way of the Greater Winona Area
        > 507-452-4624
        > unitedway@...
        >

        > For more information: http://www.winonashares.org/
        > Post message: mailto:PovertyRndTable@yahoogroups.com
        > Subscribe: mailto:PovertyRndTable-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

        > "If the misery of our poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our
        > institutions, great is our sin." -Charles Darwin
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jim Allaire
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 9, 2005
          I can think of a couple of reasons giving programs keep popping up.

          1. Folks don't like central control and like to do their own thing, even if
          small.
          2. Sometimes folks have a niche in mind to give to or a special kind of gift
          they want to give, say fruitcakes, afghans, a meal for Latinos, etc.

          I don't see a problem with individuals taking personal responsibility for
          some kind of giving, at holiday time or anytime. Much of my approach to
          poverty and giving is based on Dorothy Day's wisdom. For her, individual
          responsibility is key. If you see a need, and can do something about it, do
          it. Don't wait for someone else to tell you what, when, and how to do it.

          I sense that behind a lot of "unification of effort" moves is a lurking fear
          that somebody out there is abusing the system. Centralization can bring
          greater control, but it is not necessary. A related motive, sometimes overt
          and sometimes hidden, can also be distinctions of who is of the "worthy
          poor" and "unworthy poor."

          Jim Allaire

          Before asking the other giving programs to join us in Gifts for Winona, why
          not see if we can find out WHY more giving programs proliferated? I don't
          know the answer to this question, but I'd be interested to find out. Rick
          King First Congregational Church, UCC

          Quoting United Way of the Greater Winona Area <unitedway@...>:

          > Happy new year!
          >
          > At the wrap-up meeting earlier this week for the Gifts for Winona
          > program, we discussed the fact that there seemed to be more holiday
          > giving programs this year than the past couple years. Since the
          > purpose of the Gifts for Winona program is to centralize the
          > community's giving, this is a little disheartening.
          >
          > I've been asked to contact all of you to see which giving programs you
          > may know occurred. We would like to compile a list and then take the
          > opportunity to ask other giving programs to join with us. We
          > definitely appreciate the community's generosity and want to be as
          > inclusive as possible.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Beth
          >

          > Beth Forkner Moe
          > Executive Director
          > United Way of the Greater Winona Area
          > 507-452-4624
          > unitedway@...
          >

          > For more information: http://www.winonashares.org/
          > Post message: mailto:PovertyRndTable@yahoogroups.com
          > Subscribe: mailto:PovertyRndTable-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          > "If the misery of our poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by
          > our institutions, great is our sin." -Charles Darwin
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          For more information: http://www.winonashares.org/
          Post message: mailto:PovertyRndTable@yahoogroups.com
          Subscribe: mailto:PovertyRndTable-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          "If the misery of our poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our
          institutions, great is our sin." -Charles Darwin
          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Rev. Rick King
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 10, 2005
            I think Jim's comments are right on target. Maybe what we need is a
            sustained, long-term education effort directed toward all of Winona that
            would address the kind of "worthy/unworthy" distinctions we make--so we
            could change the climate and culture of Winona!
            I'm thankful for CW's corrective for folks like me, who tend to worry, as
            clergy, about "how to sell it to people without ALL of us having to change
            our attitudes and preconceptions." Thanks, Jim.
            I'd be interested to know others' comments in this conversation.
            Rick King