Kayaking Legend, Derek Hutchinson Paddles on into the Sunset (1933-2012)

  • bcianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2012

      The Great Derek Hutchinson

      Contributed by David H. Johnston

      The sea kayaking community lost one of its true legends today (October 10th).

      Derek Hutchinson has often been called the father of the modern sea kayak as he one of the first to bring sea kayaking to the masses with is many books and DVD's. I remember when I was young being fascinated with his book, Derek Hutchinson's Guide to Sea Kayaking and for me was one the key books that got me interested in paddling.

      Derek was also a prolific designer and over the years designed several kayaks including the famous Gulfstream and its little sister, the Slipstream for Current Designs. At the time (early to mid-1990's) both boats were years ahead of the market curve compared to what the other North American manufacturers were putting out. The Slipstream was the first kayak I ever owned and still look back in fondness to the many adventurers (and mishaps) we had together.

      Earlier today Wayne Horodowich from University of Sea Kayaking posted this note on Facebook:

      At 4:12 PM GDT I said my final farewell to my adventure partner, my mentor and dearest friend Derek Charles Hutchinson. Derek passed peacefully in his bed. His adventure on this earth started June 30, 1933 and ended Oct 10, 2012. He has now launched for his next adventure.

      I wish to thank all of you who have sent your comments to Derek. It meant so much to him, his family and his friends. It is typical to wonder if you have made a difference during your time on earth. The comments you have sent are just a fraction of the number of people Derek has touched. There is no doubt he made a huge impact during his life.

      Derek was an innovator, a thinker, a designer, a teacher, a writer and was never shy to share his opinion on any topic related to paddling. He will be missed indeed. Paddle on brother, paddle on.