Full Moon Flatwater Paddle With No Shuttle - August 4th at 6 pm

  • bcianflone
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2012
      Folks - The Police Chief just contacted me and gave us parking permission for our trip. The workers are striping the parking lots, but they should be done by Friday evening. If any police officers challenge you on the parking as you arrive, please contact me immediately.

      Barron's ice cream store along the river at our halfway point will open for us when we get there and close at 8:50 PM and then the proprietors will join our flotilla with their canoe. Bring cash for the ice cream!

      Below is the original posting as a reminder for those paddling.

      SYOTR.

      --- In Potomac_River_Paddlers@yahoogroups.com, "bcianflone" <bcianflone@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > reflected natural light and traveling by listening to the paddle strokes
      > of the other boats. On our last full moon paddle, we had fish jump into
      > our boats, and that provided added entertainment. Folks can learn much
      > about nature this way, and about themselves. One will learn about team
      > work, and about trusting others. And also about trusting oneself. You
      > will need a kayak, a paddle, and a PFD. Also, bring real food (not
      > rodent kibbles) and plenty of water. You can bring a light to store
      > inside your boat in case you need it to find something therein, but do
      > not keep it on at all times or use a headlamp whereby you blind everyone
      > you look at. Again, the objective is to maintain your night vision.
      > And mine. If someone blinds me, that person becomes very wet.
      >
      > For those who do not own boats and gear, contact the Shepherdstown Pedal
      > and Paddle for a rental and mention my name and this trip:
      >
      > http://thepedalpaddle.com/
      >
      > If the web site is down, just call them at: (304) 876-3000
      >
      > Eddie, the owner of Pedal and Paddle, who is also a pro biker, is
      > thoroughly aware of our adventure, and he is always there for our kayak
      > trips. He is both athletic and a supporter, so that makes him, well,
      > special.
      >
      > There is a Sheetz at 8332 Martinsburg Pike in Shepherdstown, but you
      > have to drive there. You can get fuel, food, and beverages therein, and
      > it is always open.
      >
      > Pedal and Paddle is located at 115 West German Street, only a couple of
      > blocks from our parking lot, so it is wise to walk there from the
      > parking lot. There will be no parking anywhere else.
      >
      > Always dress for the water rather than the air. Bring clothes
      > appropriate for the river, and wear water shoes or sandals with a back
      > ankle strap. A pack of baby wipes and some ziplock bags would be
      > practical, especially for the ladies, as the only port-a-pots are at
      > Taylor's Landing and at Snyder's Landing.
      >
      > This is a flatwater trip with no rapids, appropriate for newbies,
      > comprising 8 miles total. I will scout the river before the trip to
      > ascertain any issues we may be faced with. We will not be back at
      > Shepherdstown until 11 PM or later, especially if paddlers join us along
      > the way, as has happened before, or if the ever-changing river
      > conditions dictate our speed differently than planned, or if someone
      > tries to find out if God exists along the way. This is not a race, but
      > an educational as well as a recreational kayaking trip. Shepherdstown
      > has all night coffee shops as well, and you can get fresh coffee as well
      > as a meal there. There is no smoking and no alcohol on this trip.
      > Write to me directly if you have specific questions. Naturally, safe
      > weather and good river conditions are needed for the trip, since paddler
      > safety is the prime priority; therefore, I will notify all attendees on
      > the day before the trip by 9 PM if there are any changes to our plans.

    • bcianflone
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2012
        Please read this document if you plan on joining us on the full moon paddle tomorrow night:
        Our Full Moon Adventure For The Potomac River Paddlers