Potomac River Paddle, Sunday, April 15, 2012, 10 AM

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2012
      On Sunday, at our paddling location, it will be generally sunny and clear, with a daytime high of 81 degrees, and a nighttime low of 58 degrees. Yes, you read that right: 81 degrees.

      The daytime humidity will be 57%, and the nighttime humidity will be 66%. The UV index will be high at a 6, and there will be a SW wind of approximately 13 MPH.

      According to the area gauges, the river level will be low, and the flow is predicted to be at only 2.4 kcfs, so that the current will be moving slowly. The depth is predicted to be at 4.5 feet.

      The sunrise will be at 6:33 AM, and the sunset will be at 7:50 PM.

      Please join us on this flatwater kayak trip. There are no rapids or ripples whatsoever on this stretch of the river. All are welcome on this paddle. This is an up-and-back trip, so the put-in is the same as the take-out. After scouting the river and evaluating the weather conditions, we will paddle against the current going up for 4 miles, and then paddle with the current coming back for 4 miles.

      Incidentally, it is interesting to note that, on this same day and location of our paddle, in 1941, the temperature was 90 degrees.

      Below are the trip details.

      We will meet at 10 AM at the Shepherdstown 24-hour boat ramp parking area at the end of North Princess Street in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, for a scenic flatwater paddle. Please bring plenty of water and a healthy biped meal (not rodent kibbles) for out mid-point break. There is a Sheetz close to the boat ramp if anything is needed. When it is warm, I get a large bag or container, and in it I place a bag of ice, sandwiches, fruit, and water bottles, and then put it all inside a hatch, where it stays cold.

      Here are the directions for the trip's meeting point: From Frederick, take Rt. 340 West (which will take you from MD through VA for a spell and finally into WV over the Potomac and the Shenandoah Rivers), then turn right at Rt. 230, then go over Rattlesnake Run Creek into Shepherdstown, then turn right on North Princess Street, and go until it ends. You are on the city-owned public boat ramp. Park therein.

      If you have any inquiries, please contact me directly. On our web site, in the Files section, in addition to much paddling information, we have a satellite photo of the planned paddle: