One of the greatest kayakers you will know

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2012
      One of my paddling buddies, Joe Glickman, has written a book on one on my paddling heroes.  How good can it get!

      Now, guys, before you get that eye-rolling look when I tell you that this is a book about a woman paddler, note that this is Freya Hoffmeister I am referring to.  Yes, the woman who circumnavigated Australia by herself and completely unassisted.  She also paddled around Greenland.  As a 50th birthday present to herself, she decided to circumnavigate South America.

      On her kayak trips, Freya had to "deal with" huge salt water crocodiles, hungry sharks, venomous sea snakes, and deadly jellyfish; at one point in her journey around Australia, a great white shark bit the stern, leaving two holes on the side of her kayak.

      She went on an unsupported and solo crossing of the Gulf or Carpenteria, a trip that the experts said was impossible to do.  She did it.

      She looks at continents the way many of us look at islands.  Years past, after winning a Miss Germany title, she left her beauty queen world and entered an athletic field wholly dominated by men, and I will say nothing more because her story is wholly her story.  She had numerous "expert" male detractors when she began, and she proved them all wrong.

      When I told Joe that I was ecstatic about his book coming out, Joe wrote to me saying that his book was especially intended for the Potomac River Paddlers, as that was his intended target audience, and Joe wishes us to become better acquainted with the story of a woman who refuses to take no for an answer.

      Here is where the book is available:
      http://www.amazon.com/Fearless-One-Woman-Kayak-Continent/dp/0762772875

    • Bob Cianflone