Potomac River Paddle, Sunday, November 6, 2011, 10 AM

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2011
      Remember to turn the clock back one hour on Saturday night.

      On Sunday, at our paddling location, it will be generally sunny and clear, with a daytime high of 57 degrees, and a nighttime low of 35 degrees. The daytime humidity will be 64%, and the nighttime humidity will be 79%. The UV index will be moderate at a 3, and there will be a South wind of approximately 6 MPH.

      According to the area gauges, the river level will be average, but the current will be moving, as it is still a river. The daytime water temperature has been hovering at 50 degrees, and this range should remain the same through the weekend.

      The fall foliage on both sides of the river is multi-colored in its autumnal tapestry, so you should bring a camera. Since it will be chilly, we will build a bonfire along the riverbank.

      Remember to turn your clock back one hour on Saturday night. Wear your cold water gear, such as waterproof boots and warm clothing appropriate for river paddling.

      The sunrise will be at 6:44 AM, and the sunset will be at 5:05 PM. The days are now getting shorter, as we are heading towards winter.

      The river's water flow will be at about 4.0 kcfs and the depth will be at about 5 feet.

      Please join us on this flatwater kayak trip. There are no rapids or ripples whatsoever on this stretch of the river. All are welcome on this paddle. This is an up-and-back trip, so the put-in is the same as the take-out. After scouting the river and evaluating the weather conditions, we will paddle against the current going up for 4 miles, and then paddle with the current coming back for 4 miles.

      Incidentally, it is interesting to note that, on this same day and location of our paddle, in 1935, the temperature was 80 degrees.

      Below are the trip details.

      We will meet at 10 AM at the Shepherdstown 24-hour boat ramp parking area at the end of North Princess Street in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, for a scenic flatwater paddle. Please bring plenty of water and a healthy biped meal (not rodent kibbles) for out mid-point break. There is a Sheetz close to the boat ramp if anything is needed (at 8332 Martinsburg Pike). Now that it is cold, I don't need ice for my cooler, so I get a large bag or other container, and I put sandwiches, fruit, and water bottles in it, and then I place it all inside a hatch, where it stays cold. You can bring food to be heated, since we will make bonfire along the river.

      Here are the directions for the trip's meeting point: From Frederick, take Rt. 340 West (which will take you from MD through VA for a spell and finally into WV over the Potomac and the Shenandoah Rivers), then turn right at Rt. 230, then go over Rattlesnake Run Creek into Shepherdstown, then turn right on North Princess Street, and go until it ends. You are on the city-owned public boat ramp. Park therein.

      If you have any inquiries, please contact me directly. On our web site, in the Files section, in addition to much paddling information, we have a satellite photo of the planned paddle:

    • bob cianflone
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2011
        Folks it was very warm along the river today (mid to high 50s) and it will be just as warm tomorrow, so I will not do a bonfire on the riverbank.  We will do one when it gets chillier.