Potomac River Paddle, Saturday, September 3, 2011, 10 AM

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      On Saturday, at our paddling location, it will be generally sunny and clear, with a daytime high of 91 degrees, and a nighttime low of 69 degrees. The daytime humidity will be 62%, and the nighttime humidity will be 79%. The UV index will be very high at a 8, and there will be a S wind of approximately 4 MPH.

      According to the area gauges, the river level will be very low, but the current will be moving, as it is still a river. The daytime water temperature has been hovering at 82 degrees, and this range should remain the same through the weekend.

      The sunrise will be at 6:41 AM, and the sunset will be at 7:40 PM. The days are now getting shorter, as we are heading towards winter, although that is hard to fathom when one is outside in the summer's heat.

      The river's water flow will be very low, predicted to be at only 0.7 kcfs. It will be like paddling in a shallow lake.

      Please join us on this flatwater kayak trip. There are no rapids or ripples whatsoever on this stretch of the river. All are welcome on this paddle. This is an up-and-back trip, so the put-in is the same as the take-out. After scouting the river and evaluating the weather conditions, we will paddle against the current going up for 4 miles, and then paddle with the current coming back for 4 miles.

      Incidentally, it is interesting to note that, on this same day and location of our paddle, in 1955, the temperature was 99 degrees.

      Below are the trip details.

      We will meet at 10 AM at the Shepherdstown 24-hour boat ramp parking area at the end of North Princess Street in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, for a scenic flatwater paddle. Please bring plenty of water and a healthy biped meal (not rodent kibbles) for out mid-point break. There is a Sheetz close to the boat ramp if anything is needed. When it is warm, I get a large trash bag, and, in that bag, I put a bag of ice, sandwiches, fruit, and water bottles, and place
      that bag inside a hatch, where it stays cold.

      Here are the directions for the trip's meeting point: From Frederick, take Rt. 340 West (which will take you from MD through VA for a spell and finally into WV over the Potomac and the Shenandoah Rivers), then turn right at Rt. 230, then go over Rattlesnake Run Creek into Shepherdstown, then turn right on North Princess Street, and go until it ends. You are on the city-owned public boat ramp. Park therein.

      If you have any inquiries, please contact me directly. On our web site, in the Files section, in addition to much paddling information, we have a satellite photo of the planned paddle: