Potomac River Paddle, Sunday, June 5, 2011, at 9 AM

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2011
      On Sunday, at our paddling location, it will be mostly clear, with a daytime high of 85 degrees and a nighttime low of 61 degrees. There is solely a 20% chance of precipitation, decreasing to 0% as the day progresses. The humidity will be at 59%, and there will be a NW wind of approximately 7 MPH.

      According to the area gauges, the river level will be normal, but the current will be moving. The river temperature has been hovering at 79 degrees, and should remain in that range through the weekend. The sunrise will be at 5:32 AM, and the sunset will be at 8:35 PM. The UV index will be very high, at a 9.

      At our last paddle, that proved to be challenging, the river was flowing at 14 kcfs; this next Sunday, it is predicted to flow at about 5 kcfs - a sizable decrease.

      Please join us on this flatwater kayak trip. There are no rapids whatsoever on this stretch of the river. All are welcome on this paddle. This is an up-and-back trip, so the put-in is the same as the take-out. After scouting the river and evaluating the conditions, we will paddle against the current going up
      for 4 miles, and then paddle with the current coming back for 4 miles. Novice paddlers can shorten the trip if they desire, as there is no shuttle involved. Below are the trip details.

      We will meet at 9 AM at the Shepherdstown 24-hour boat ramp parking area at the end of North Princess Street in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, for a scenic flatwater paddle. Please bring plenty of water and a healthy biped meal (not rodent kibbles). There is a Sheetz close to the boat ramp if anything is needed. When it is warm, I get a large trash bag, and, in that bag, I put a bag of ice, sandwiches, fruit, and water bottles, and place that bag inside a hatch, where it stays cold all day.

      Incidentally, it is interesting to note that, on this same day and location of our paddle, in 1930, the temperature was 96 degrees.

      Here are the directions for the trip's meeting point: From Frederick, take Rt. 340 West (which will take you from MD through VA for a spell and finally into WV over the Potomac and the Shenandoah Rivers), then turn right at Rt. 230, then go over Rattlesnake Run Creek into Shepherdstown, then turn right on North Princess Street, and go until it ends. You are on the city-owned public boat ramp. Park therein.

      If you have any inquiries, please contact me directly. On our web site, in the Files section, in addition to much paddling information, we have a satellite photo of the planned paddle:

    • Bob Cianflone
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2011
        We are moving the paddle from 9 AM to 10 AM because of the change in weather prediction whereby, as of this writing, there may be an early morning shower. I will definitely be there at 10 AM. SYOTR.