Potomac River Paddle at Brunswick, Saturday, March 5, 2011, at 9 AM

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2011
      This weekend, we have a window of opportunity to paddle Saturday morning and mid-day. On Sunday, the prediction is for heavy rain, but for Saturday, based on the current prediction, the rain is to start in the late afternoon. Thus we will have to start early to maximixe the time available to us.

      On Saturday, it will be 60 degrees outside. Yes, it will be warm.

      The chance of rain is 20% during the day; it will be mostly cloudy, with a high near 60 degrees. Since it will be warm, we will not build a bonfire along the riverbank. There will be a SSE wind of about 15MPH. The UV Index will be low at 2.

      On Saturday, the sunrise will be at 6:38 AM, and the sunset will be at 6:07 PM. We plan to be done with the paddle well before any precipitation begins.

      Incidentally, it is interesting to note that, on this same day and location of our paddle, in 1976, the temperature was 80 degrees.

      The water temperature in the Potomac River is now hovering at 45 degrees. Wear your cold water gear, such as waterproof boots and clothing appropriate for river paddling. Always dress for immersion rather than for the air temperature.

      Please join us on this relaxing flatwater kayak trip. All are welcome on this paddle. This will be an up-and-back trip, where the put-in is also the take-out.

      We will meet at 9 AM at the Brunswick boat ramp in Brunswick, Maryland. We will paddle in the Brunswick Little Lagoon (a 1/2 mile covered inlet) and then proceed in the main river adjacent to it. While we are meeting at 9 AM, please be advised that I plan to be on the water before 10 AM.

      We will use the city-owned boat ramp as a put-in and take-out, in the same area where the Susquehanna of the Iroquois tribe once lived,
      many moons ago.

      There is a Sheetz nearby, and it is about two miles up the road from the boat ramp. Please either bring food and water, or procure it therein. The Sheetz is located at the intersection of Routes 340 and 17. If anyone wants specific directions, or has any questions, please email me directly.

      On our web site, in the Files section, we have cold water safety information as well as a satellite photo of the planned paddle: