Potomac River Paddle, Sunday, November 7, 2010, 10 AM

  • bobc
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2010
      On Sunday, at our paddling location, it will be clear, sunny, and with no precipitation. The day time high will be 53 degrees and the night time low will be 33 degrees. There will be a variable WNW wind of approximately 4-10 MPH. The river is now low, and it will continue to be so through the weekend. The sunrise will be at 6:46 AM and the sunset will be at 5:03 PM. The UV Index will be moderate.

      The fall foliage on both sides of the river is multi-colored in its autumnal tapestry, so you should bring a camera. If we get chilly, we will build a bonfire along the riverbank.

      Incidentally, it is interesting to note that, on this same day and location of our paddle, in 1994, the temperature was 77 degrees.

      Remember to turn your clock back one hour on Saturday night. Wear your cold water gear, such as waterproof boots and warm clothing appropriate for river paddling.

      Please join us on this relaxing flatwater kayak trip. All are welcome on this paddle. Below are the trip details.

      We will meet at 10 AM at the Shepherdstown 24-hour boat ramp parking area at the end of North Princess Street in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, for a leisurely and scenic flatwater paddle. Please bring plenty of water and a healthy biped meal (not rodent kibbles). There is a Sheetz close to the boat ramp if anything is needed (on West German Street).

      Here are the directions for the trip's meeting point: From Frederick, take Rt. 340 West (which will take you from MD through VA for a spell and finally into WV over the Potomac and the Shenandoah Rivers), then turn right at Rt. 230, then go over Rattlesnake Run Creek into Shepherdstown, then turn right on North Princess Street, and go until it ends. You are on the city-owned public boat ramp. Park therein.

      If you have any inquiries, please contact me directly. On our web site, in the Files section, we have cold water safety information as well as a satellite photo of the planned paddle: