Trip Report - Brunswick Campground , July 30, 2010

  • bobc
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 8:41 PM
      We had a fantastic weekend of living in the wilderness (with a bath house) at the Brunswick Family Campground along the Potomac River. Yes, the overnighter turned into a full weekend of camping along the People's River.

      The weather was stupendous. There was no wind, it was warm during the day, and it got chilly at night. It was very temperate and comfortable, with no humidity.

      We had a huge crowd that came and went, all told some 50 people were there. While many tent camped, many more came during the making of the s'mores, and to be a part of our bonfire. Some in an almost literal manner.

      Somehow, John managed to win the Rural Family of the Week Award, as he decided to compete for that prestigious award far from his traditional place of contest. We all held our breath as he crawled to the fire pit with some marshmallows, as he showed us the technique employed by Rumanian circus midgets when traversing wildfires in the black forest. John's eyebrows, his marshmallows, and his dignity were singed by the leaping flames.

      Many brought their pets. Steve brought his young son, who decided to lead a hike, as well as a strange dog that is afraid of bones.

      We hiked, biked, and kayaked. We ate. And we kayaked some more. And we ate again. Some walked to the coffee shops and museums in downtown Brunswick, while others ventured deep into the woods to explore their surroundings.

      We even had Andy, a self-thought musical minstrel with his guitar, singing Spanish ballads. Feliz Navidad was clearly his favorite, and the only one he knew the words to.

      We kept the bonfire going late into the night, singing and laughing, and carrying on like life was a hoot and a holler. There was a wide assortment of personal furniture brought to our base camp, and we used kayak tables for cakes, brownies, and cupcakes.

      Yours truly used a man-sized axe to get wood, and managed to do that without losing any limbs. Naturally, a pot of coffee was kept during the entire shindig.

      It was a great adventure, along the People River. The many pictures have been posted in an album entitled "Brunswick Camping, July 30, 2010," in the Photos section of our web site.