Trip Report, Potomac River Paddle of August 30, 2009

  • bcianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2009
      We had a relaxing eight-mile paddle on the People's River on this sunny and warm August day. We paddled less than we usually do, and just savored the beauty of the river and forest. It was quieter than usual. The edges of the leaves were about to turn colors, and in the next month we will see more and more autumnal colors borne along the treeline.

      Yours truly showed how one tows a trailer when a car is not available. Yes, there is a picture of that feat.

      One girl flew past us in a racing scull, and then she came back, as there were sharp rocks farther up. There is one picture of her in our collection.

      We had a very good lunch break at Snyder's Landing, and visited Barron's Store for our ice cream. John, the proprietor, had a rural contraption used to attack flying insects. It consisted of a tennis racquet with electrical coils on it. A switch on the handle turned on the electricity on the tennis racquet, and he would swing at flying insects of all sizes, shapes, creed, and denominations.

      Since Rick brought a (real) Chinese smorgasborg for us to feast on, John and his racquet came in handy. It was quite an entertaining sight watching some bees burn on the coils. It was an even more entertaining sight watching many more bees come down from the apple trees who took offense at the barbecued bees.

      John, we agreed, won the "Rural Family of the Week" contest hands down. We have a photo of him, and if any PETA members sees it please note that I was not there.

      It was a beautiful day, shared with a great group of people, on the People's River, a river that was here before us and will be here after us.

      The 30 photos, taken by Coalminer's Daughter, have been posted in a photo album entitled "8-30-2009" in the Photos section of our web site
      at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Potomac_River_Paddlers/