Potomac River Paddle, Saturday, August 8, 2009, 9 AM

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2009
      According to the area gauges, the river level is very low, and it will stay so through the weekend. The current is also slow and calm.

      On Saturday, according to the current forecast, it should be clear. There is, however, a chance of rain later in the day, approximately at 6 PM, but we would have enough time to finish our trip by then. Please be aware that we are looking at the weather prediction for the following location: Lat 39.41°N & Lon 77.8°W (which is where we plan to paddle) rather than what is given at the local airports where the transmitters are normally located for weather reports provided through the popular media.

      On Saturday, then, the high will be 87 degrees. The UV Index will be 7, which is high, so wear sunglasses. The sunrise will be at 6:17 AM and the sunset will be at 8:15 PM. Yes, the days are getting shorter, as we move slowly yet steadily towards the winter months. There will be a south wind of approximately 7 mph.

      Incidentally, it is interesting to note that, on this same day and location of our paddle, in 1930, the temperature was 100 degrees.

      Please join us on this relaxing flatwater kayak trip. All are welcome on this paddle. Below are the trip details.

      We will meet at 9 AM at the Shepherdstown 24-hour boat ramp parking area at the end of North Princess Street in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, for a leisurely and scenic flatwater paddle. We are meeting at 9 AM to ensure that we get parking spaces. Please bring plenty of water and a healthy biped meal (not rodent kibbles). There is a Sheetz close to the boat ramp if anything is needed.

      Here are the directions for the trip's meeting point: From Frederick, take Rt. 340 West (which will take you from MD through VA for a spell and finally into WV over the Potomac and the Shenandoah Rivers), then turn right at Rt. 230, then go over Rattlesnake Run Creek into Shepherdstown, then turn right on North Princess Street, and go until it ends. You are on the city-owned public boat ramp. Park therein.

      If you have any inquiries, please contact me directly. On our web site, in the Files section, in addition to general paddling and safety information, we have a satellite photo of the planned paddle: