Independence Day Paddle, July 4th, 2009

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2009
      Historically, Independence Day celebrations often take place outdoors, and one of the most enduring patriotic songs for this day is "America the Beautiful." Armed with such knowledge, one would agree that paddling on the People's River is an excellent way to celebrate the spirit of this great American holiday.

      For Saturday, the current weather prediction promises us a mostly clear day. The long range chance of precipitation is still at 30% at the most for Saturday, but the air as well as the water temperature will be warm.

      The sunrise will be at 5:50 AM and the sunset will be at 8:41 PM. The high will be 81 degrees, and the UV Index will be at "10" which is very high. Wear sunglasses. There will be a slight NW wind of 5 MPH. The river level will be low, and the current will be calm.

      Incidentally, it is interesting to note that, on this same day and location of our paddle, in 1966, the temperature was 101 degrees.

      Please join us on this relaxing flatwater kayak trip. We will meet at 10 AM this Saturday at the Shepherdstown Boat Ramp in West Virginia. Please get there before that time to get a parking spot and to get your equipment ready. Since it will be a nice day, there will be a contingent of boaters out, so it is smart to get there early. Load up your gear the night before, so that you don't have to do it Saturday morning.

      All are welcome on this paddle. Below are the trip details.

      We will meet at 10 AM at the 24-hour boat ramp parking area at
      the end of North Princess Street in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, for a leisurely and scenic flatwater paddle. Please bring plenty of water and a healthy biped meal (not rodent kibbles). There is a Sheetz close by if anything is needed. The current therein is gentle but steady, and there are no rapids therein. This up-and-back trip should last about six hours, at the most. We will stop for a meal along the way, as well as take breaks for pictorial and other purposes. No one gets left behind. On this beautiful stretch of the Potomac, one can go for many miles and see nothing but the splendor of nature, both flora and fauna. It is a healing time on the Upper
      Potomac River.

      Here are the directions for the trip's meeting point: From Frederick, take Rt. 340 West (which will take you from MD through VA for a spell and finally into WV over the Potomac and the Shenandoah Rivers), then turn right at Rt. 230, then go over Rattlesnake Run Creek into Shepherdstown, then turn right on North Princess Street, and go until it ends. You are on the city-owned public boat ramp. Park therein.

      If you have any inquiries, please contact me directly. On our web site, in the Files section, in addition to safety information, we have a satellite photo of the planned paddle: