Potomac River Paddle, Sunday, April 5, 2009

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2009
      On Sunday, at our paddling location, it will be sunny and clear, with a comfortable high of 67 degrees. It will be a beautiful day for being out on the water. The sunrise will be at 6:49 AM, and the sunset will be at 7:40 PM.

      There will be a southwest wind of approximately 7 MPH. The river level will be quite low, according to the area gauges, averaging 3 feet in depth. The prediction is that it will rise by approximately another 1/2 foot by Sunday.

      Incidentally, it is interesting to note that, on this same day and location of our paddle, in 1942, the temperature was 82 degrees.

      Please join us on this relaxing flatwater kayak trip. We will begin paddling this Sunday at 10 AM from the Shepherdstown Boat Ramp in West Virginia. Please get there before that time to get a parking spot and to get your equipment ready. All are welcome. Below are the trip details.

      We will start in the water at 10 AM from the 24-hour boat ramp parking area at the end of North Princess Street in Shepherdstown, West Virginia, for a leisurely and scenic flatwater paddle. Please bring water and a healthy biped meal (not rodent kibbles). There is a Sheetz close to the boat ramp if anything is needed. The current therein is very gentle. This up-and-back trip should last about six hours, at the most. We will stop for a meal along the way, as well as take breaks for pictorial and other purposes. No one gets left behind. On this beautiful stretch of the Potomac, one can go for many miles and see nothing but the splendor of nature, both flora
      and fauna. It is a healing time on the Upper Potomac River.

      It is spring, both according to the calendar and Mother Nature. Nevertheless, one should still bring cold weather gear. The cold water safety and survival documents in the Files section of our web site have excellent practical ideas on this safety topic. PFDs are required. One of the prime purposes of a PFD is to keep your head above water if you should fall in the river, which will lessen the impact of cold water shock. If you are unsure or have a question, ask me.

      Here are the directions for the trip's meeting point: From Frederick, take Rt. 340 West (which will take you from MD through VA for a spell and finally into WV over the Potomac and the Shenandoah Rivers), then turn right at Rt. 230, then go over Rattlesnake Run Creek into Shepherdstown, then turn right on North Princess Street, and go until it ends. You are on the city-owned public boat ramp. Park therein.

      If you have any cogent inquiries, please contact me directly. On our web site, in the Files section, in addition to the noted safety information, we have a satellite photo of the planned paddle: