Tuesday, November 4, 2008

  • Bob Cianflone
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 2, 2008
      Folks - On Tuesday, Election Day, some of us who work in schools have
      the day off, while others do not. I am scheduled to go to work, but,
      when I saw the latest weather reports, I decided to burn some leave.

      On Tuesday, it is supposed to be generally clear and hovering just
      below 70 degrees. The sunrise will be at 6:43 AM and the sunset will
      be at 5:06 PM. There is a chance of showers in the late afternoon,
      so let's hit the water early and get some paddle time in while it is
      still like spring outside.

      Let's meet at the Shepherdstown Boat Ramp at 10 AM for an up and back
      paddle. Accordingly, I will be at the Shepherdstown Boat Ram at 10
      AM for whoever wants to join me on this impromptu paddle.

      This will be a relaxing flatwater kayak trip. We will start at the
      24-hour boat ramp parking area at the end of North Princess Street in
      Shepherdstown, West Virginia, for a leisurely and scenic flatwater
      paddle. Please bring plenty of water and a healthy biped meal.
      There is a Sheetz close to the boat ramp if anything is needed. The
      current therein is very gentle and the water level is low. We will
      go up-river for five miles, and then return down-river for five
      miles, and the trip should last about six hours. We will stop for a
      meal along the way, as well as take breaks for pictorial and other
      purposes. On this beautiful stretch of the Potomac, one can go for
      many miles and see nothing but the splendor of nature, both flora and
      fauna. The foliage is turning in its multi-colored splendor. Please
      bring a camera if you can.

      Here are the directions for the trip's meeting point: From
      Frederick, take Rt. 340 West (which will take you from MD through VA
      for a spell and finally into WV over the Potomac and the Shenandoah
      Rivers), then turn right at Rt. 230, then go over Rattlesnake Run
      Creek into Shepherdstown, then turn right on North Princess Street,
      and go until it ends. You are on the city-owned public boat ramp.
      Park therein.

      If you have any sensible questions, please contact me directly. On
      our web site, in the Files section, we have a satellite photo of the
      planned paddle: